Remote start for T8 in the US
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In another thread it came up that someone here in the US has a 2016 T8 with remote start that was enabled by the November software update. To my knowledge this has not been rolled out to any model year T8 in the US. Have I been misinformed? If so, why does my 2017 T8 lack the capability even though it's had software updates three times between December and mid-January? I could have really been taking advantage of the feature the last few months.

So, any other of you T8 owners in the US have remote start enabled?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      In another thread it came up that someone here in the US has a 2016 T8 with remote start that was enabled by the November software update. To my knowledge this has not been rolled out to any model year T8 in the US. Have I been misinformed? If so, why does my 2017 T8 lack the capability even though it's had software updates three times between December and mid-January? I could have really been taking advantage of the feature the last few months.

I have an early March 2017 Total Upgrade. I will test out tomorrow and report back. I am not optimistic as my mind is set on the May update. More to come...
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al | TSU installed May 16, 2017

We just had our 2016 T8 at the dealership for the 10k service and the seatbelt recall, and I noticed they did a software update. I saw this thread, so I thought I would give it a go. Much to my surprise, I believe we can now finally "precondition" (remote start in the rest of the civilized world) a US-spec T8 when it is NOT connected to 240v. My wife drives our T8, and it is currently parked at her work location (no charging capability there) and I just sent a preconditioning command via VOC, fully expecting it to fail. Much to my surprise, it appears to have worked!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very interesting. Mine was last updated in mid-January. I just tried to precondition and it failed three times in a row. When it's plugged in, it works nine times out of ten. The person who mentioned it called it Engine Remote Start which I believe is the terminology used on non-T8s and indicated that it used the battery first and then would switch to the ICE. They also mentioned that they've had the capability since the November 2016 update.

I wonder what's going on here. I'm going to have to chat with Volvo customer care again.

I will try to remember to check it again this evening after I get home to have the vehicle in front of me when I issue the command via VOC with the T8 unplugged and report back. Mine has allowed "preconditioning" while connected to 240 since day one. Unplugged has always been elusive - until now, apparently.

All I can surmise here is that this feature (originally pledged for week 48 of last year) was included in this latest update the vehicle took when in the shop this month (March). It sure would be nice if they would be more informative and transparent with a changelog for their updates besides a blip mention on the service engagement paperwork. This also precisely why I waited until the 10k service to roll around (instead of taking it when the seat belt recall came in January).

I am not necessarily complaining, but it seems like there is a software update every. time. I. take. the. vehicle. in. Updates at home (via WiFi) would be much more welcome. I guess Tesla can hold onto that distinction for a while longer.
      Last edited by robroy90; 03-22-2017 at 11:47 AM.

The language is odd from the OP because there's really no concept of remote start on a plug in EV. The reason you remote start a vehicle is generally to set the interior environment (make he cabin warmer or cooler) and that is done via battery with preconditioning in an EV. That's why the language is different.

Mine has had no updates since we bought in dec. so no way for me to test this out though. I can still only precondition when plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried this and found that while plugged into 240: I could start Parking Climate, but Remote Start gave an error. When unplugged from 240: Parking Climate gave an error, but Remote Start worked. The interesting thing is on the app (ios), the option for Remote Start says Start Engine, but the engine (ICE) doesn't actually start. The car comes to life like it would when you start it from inside and it is running from the battery. The UI could use some work to make this less confusing, however it seems to work how I would use it.

2017 XC90 T8 Inscription | Luminous Sand | Blond Interior (leather and carpet) | Vision | Conv | Climate
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription | Luminous Sand | Blond Interior (leather and carpet) | Vision | Conv | Climate

Quote Originally Posted by Bldrt8 View Post
      I just tried this and found that while plugged into 240: I could start Parking Climate, but Remote Start gave an error. When unplugged from 240: Parking Climate gave an error, but Remote Start worked. The interesting thing is on the app (ios), the option for Remote Start says Start Engine, but the engine (ICE) doesn't actually start. The car comes to life like it would when you start it from inside and it is running from the battery. The UI could use some work to make this less confusing, however it seems to work how I would use it.

So you see a Remote Start option in the VOC app and it is separate from the Parking Climate option that allows you to start preconditioning? Because that seems to match with what the other person had mentioned. I do not see a Remote Start option in my VOC app.

I am beginning to wonder if this is actually a bug where VOC thinks you've got some T6/T8 chimera. That would actually not be too surprising considering the number of people with T8s that can't see their battery level or electric consumption leading one to believe they've got a problem with the app identifying the correct drive train.

So you see a Remote Start option in the VOC app and it is separate from the Parking Climate option that allows you to start preconditioning? Because that seems to match with what the other person had mentioned. I do not see a Remote Start option in my VOC app.
      Correct. I see both on my phone and tablet, but I have never seen battery levels.

I am beginning to wonder if this is actually a bug where VOC thinks you've got some T6/T8 chimera. That would actually not be too surprising considering the number of people with T8s that can't see their battery level or electric consumption leading one to believe they've got a problem with the app identifying the correct drive train.
      That's my thought. When I asked Volvo about it they said they expect this to be resolved in the next month or two. I suspect the development team has been working on new sensus update discussed in another thread and they are planning on fixing these non-critical bugs in that release. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post
      The language is odd from the OP because there's really no concept of remote start on a plug in EV. The reason you remote start a vehicle is generally to set the interior environment (make he cabin warmer or cooler) and that is done via battery with preconditioning in an EV. That's why the language is different.

Mine has had no updates since we bought in dec. so no way for me to test this out though. I can still only precondition when plugged in

Remote start is something that Volvo has been promising to T8 owners to allow for warming/cooling the cabin when unplugged and is likely named that as it matches the same function on non-T8s. There are apparently now at least two people on this forum in the US with T8s that have both the preconditioning and remote start features enabled and functioning in their VOC apps.

I'm just trying to find out if I'm missing something and how to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bldrt8 View Post
      Correct. I see both on my phone and tablet, but I have never seen battery levels.

That's my thought. When I asked Volvo about it they said they expect this to be resolved in the next month or two. I suspect the development team has been working on new sensus update discussed in another thread and they are planning on fixing these non-critical bugs in that release. Time will tell.
      I think I would prefer to have your "bug" vs. seeing the battery level.

MY17 T8 - Got my latest Total Update in early March. I don't see a remote start option in the VOC app but I was just now able to start preconditioning without the car being plugged into a charger. Not sure it actually started since my wife has the car but it does appear to function differently since the latest update.

I think I would prefer to have your "bug" vs. seeing the battery level.
      Perhaps it is a glitch that it's not there? I do have a battery bar graph, but it never updates and is always "full". I don't get any other batter information either.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
      Perhaps it is a glitch that it's not there? I do have a battery bar graph, but it never updates and is always "full". I don't get any other batter information either.
      I really, truly believe that we're all seeing some form of bug or another. We've got people with T8s that:

1) have Parking Climate and Remote Start while others only have Parking Climate
      2) can see accurate battery level, inaccurate battery levels, or no battery info or electric consumption at all

In my case, I see an accurate battery level and parking climate, but no remote start.

We've yet to hear someone chime in that has the perfecta - parking climate, remote start, and accurate battery level

Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post

Semantics.

What remains to be determined is how a US-spec T8 handles this if there is no battery left. In one of our previous vehicles, (Chevy Volt) it did not care what energy source was available, as it would do what you would expect, which is to remote start the engine (irrespective of the charge level - it would use fuel if the battery was "dead"). What I do agree with is that this is usually for interior temperature adjustment purposes. My sneaking suspicion is that Volvo (in their infinite wisdom) will limit this only to if there is a remaining charge left in the batteries accomplish this. If that is the case, they truly do not (yet) understand the North American market (as further evidenced by the fact that a Euro-spec T8 can and will run off of fuel in a remote start scenario as I understand it). It gets just as cold here in the northern climates, and probably FAR warmer in the summer months.
      Last edited by robroy90; 03-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robroy90 View Post
      Semantics.

What remains to be determined is how the T8 handles this if there is no battery left. In one of our previous vehicles, (Chevy Volt) it did not care what energy source was available (electric or gas) it would do what you would expect, which is to remote start the engine. What I do agree with is that this is usually for interior temperature adjustment purposes. My sneaking suspicion is that Volvo (in their infinite wisdom) will limit this only to if there is a remaining charge left in the batteries to do this. If that is the case, they truly do not (yet) understand the North American market (as further evidenced by the fact that a Euro-spec T8 can and will run off of fuel as I understand it).
      My car will start on the battery first, always. Then the gas motor turn on when I use remote start.

I really, truly believe that we're all seeing some form of bug or another. We've got people with T8s that:

1) have Parking Climate and Remote Start while others only have Parking Climate
      2) can see accurate battery level, inaccurate battery levels, or no battery info or electric consumption at all

In my case, I see an accurate battery level and parking climate, but no remote start.

We've yet to hear someone chime in that has the perfecta - parking climate, remote start, and accurate battery level
      Agreed. However, maybe that is the issue. If you have the ability to have true battery stats, you don't get ERS... Makes no sense, but have certainly heard of more crazy things.

On the T6, the top pane in VOC is "Remote Start."

Parking Climate seems specific to the T8 or perhaps, if not, the Euro variants with the fuel fired heater.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      On the T6, the top pane in VOC is "Remote Start."

Parking Climate seems specific to the T8 or perhaps, if not, the Euro variants with the fuel fired heater.
      I believe you are correct that any vehicle that can warm up (or cool down in case of T8) without starting the engine gets the Parking Climate/preconditioning capability.

Just for reference, my preconditioning has worked without being plugged in since around September or October. And when I say working, I mean it works 1 out of every 3 or 4 tries, and the battery needs to be above a certain level. I don't currently have remote start in my app, but my car hasn't been updated since November.

Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Just for reference, my preconditioning has worked without being plugged in since around September or October.
      Are you in North America? Would be nice to see your location under user name!

My last update was done mid Feb. & I just tried & got the failed message & I am not plugged in.
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PAII | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post

My last update was done mid Feb. & I just tried & got the failed message & I am not plugged in.
      I am in Texas.
      Last edited by djsaad1; 03-22-2017 at 07:06 PM.

I am in Texas
      Maybe add this under your location so others can see it
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PAII | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post

I actually have never had it work or really even tested it in cold weather. It might only work to cool the car and not heat the car.

I have the preconditioning, but nowhere in my VOC app can I see a battery level or charging status. Is that normal?

Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by wtbenz View Post
      MY17 T8 - Got my latest Total Update in early March. I don't see a remote start option in the VOC app but I was just now able to start preconditioning without the car being plugged into a charger. Not sure it actually started since my wife has the car but it does appear to function differently since the latest update.
      Same here. I had Total update installed on March 3, 2017. I tested tonight and unplugged preconditioning (I.e., heat) does not work and there is no ability to remote start ICE.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al | TSU installed May 16, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      I have the preconditioning, but nowhere in my VOC app can I see a battery level or charging status. Is that normal?

I think normal remains to be defined.

My VOC app allows me to precondition only when plugged in and shows me what appears to be an accurate battery level on the dashboard page when unplugged and the driving journal includes my electric consumption when I export it but not when I look at an individual trip in the VOC app. The app also does not display a charging status indicator nor does the charge level update whilst charging until it is complete.

Just tried mine. they updated the software a couple months ago, car was parked outside I tried it just like i would as if it was plugged in and it said parking climate was on .. went outside didn't hear anything, opened the door no vent sound, shut off the parking climate in the app and closed the car door.

Tried it again while standing outside beside the car and sure enough the vents kicked on with warm air. Was kind of hoping it would have started the engine instead of further draining the battery. even better start the engine in charge mode so it doesn't completely waste the gas.

This is the official response I just got from Volvo customer care:

"The engine remote start feature is now available for your vehicle. Your Volvo dealership will be able to perform a software update that will enable you to use this feature."

This is the official response I just got from Volvo customer care:

"The engine remote start feature is now available for your vehicle. Your Volvo dealership will be able to perform a software update that will enable you to use this feature."
      I would call before you go to the dealer, communication between volvo and its dealers is pretty non existent. Android auto, PA2, etc...some dealers had no clue how to perform some of these updates even months after release.

I would call before you go to the dealer, communication between volvo and its dealers is pretty non existent. Android auto, PA2, etc...some dealers had no clue how to perform some of these updates even months after release.
      No doubt. My dealer is good and I always call first and sometimes send them links to posts here so they know what I'm talking about.

The support site also looks to be updated with info. I am still surprised to not have battery usage information. I called customer service and they said the feature was coming in a future update.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
      The support site also looks to be updated with info. I am still surprised to not have battery usage information. I called customer service and they said the feature was coming in a future update.
      I just went on the website and did the chat. I was told that it is not available... mixed signals

Quote Originally Posted by Aw9nineteen View Post
      I just went on the website and did the chat. I was told that it is not available... mixed signals

Crazy. I have not yet had the time to call my dealer or bring it in, so I have no idea if the email response I got indicating that it was available was accurate. But the agent was clearly aware that I had a 2017 T8 as another part of my message and their response included that info.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast