Remote start for T8 in the US - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      my dealer told me this 31678916 is for preconditioning, but also mentioned it is still testing. So I guess it is actually ERS but not available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by derickma View Post
      From the dealer when asked if I can have it loaded on my T8

"The software is not available yet, and we can not order yet either. Technical support said this availability will be coming -but no eta as of yet."

Anyone else in Canada have a different result with their dealer.?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My US '16 T8 is currently at the dealer. They are tyring to find the "application" that Volvo Support mentioned.
      Part 31678916

Let's see if they can find anything, but I do not have hope here!

Is there anyone that has ERS on a US T8 installed and working? Screenshot of the App showing both: Precond. and ERS

Volvo is always mixing things up with this damn precond which still makes only sense if you want to cool/warm at home in your garage or somewhere with a plug.

Quote Originally Posted by frankbertus View Post
      My US '16 T8 is currently at the dealer. They are tyring to find the "application" that Volvo Support mentioned.
      Part 31678916

Is there anyone that has ERS on a US T8 installed and working? Screenshot of the App showing both: Precond. and ERS

Volvo is always mixing things up with this damn precond which still makes only sense if you want to cool/warm at home in your garage or somewhere with a plug.
      Yes. There are cars with both. The dealer will need to enter the software part, and manually add / order it for your car. It will not show up automatically.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frankbertus View Post
      Part 31678916

Mine is there now. Received a call yesterday saying they need to put in a diff software and then the part number. Seemed optimistic like they have it covered. Will report back when I get the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just got the call from the dealer that everything is completed. I go into my VOC app and it randomly looks like the attached picture. I don't recall getting an update. Weird. But YESSS (as long as it works lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Aw9nineteen View Post
      So I just got the call from the dealer that everything is completed. I go into my VOC app and it randomly looks like the attached picture. I don't recall getting an update. Weird. But YESSS (as long as it works lol)

In my experience, there is no app change or update, just what you can and can not do. The app is the same.

Oh, I didn't use the app a ton because my car isn't always plugged in. I thought I remembered that there wasn't even an option for remote start on my VOC app.

That's correct: my T8 has no remote start section in the app at all.

Thanks for the confirmation. I used it and it said it was running. Pretty cool because you can set how long you run it for, from 1-15 mins I think.

Nice.

Oh, I didn't use the app a ton because my car isn't always plugged in. I thought I remembered that there wasn't even an option for remote start on my VOC app.
      Can you still see your battery info in the dashboard page that you get when you tap the "Until Empty Tank" tile?

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Can you still see your battery info in the dashboard page that you get when you tap the "Until Empty Tank" tile?

That consumption sucks

That consumption sucks
      But is it accurate?

My app reports 31.3 on that page but it's actually wrong. I've exported my driving journals ever since I got it in late October and using that info, my mpg is closer to 40. I think it's right around 37 mpg right now and I expect that to improve now that the cold weather is mostly behind us.

I've confirmed that the driving journal is more accurate by reconciling it manually for a few tanks of gas to make sure the amount of gas it says I'm using is correct. The distance driven that is logged by the driving journal suffers from rounding errors but is accurate +-2% in my case.

But is it accurate?

My app reports 31.3 on that page but it's actually wrong. I've exported my driving journals ever since I got it in late October and using that info, my mpg is closer to 40. I think it's right around 37 mpg right now and I expect that to improve now that the cold weather is mostly behind us.

I've confirmed that the driving journal is more accurate by reconciling it manually for a few tanks of gas to make sure the amount of gas it says I'm using is correct. The distance driven that is logged by the driving journal suffers from rounding errors but is accurate +-2% in my case.
      Did not know that. I did think I was getting very poor MPG to be driving mostly highway.

So does it work? Con you confirm for the thread you gave a US T8 that now is able to use remote start (starting without being plugged in) - If so can you also summarize what the dealer did? Ive been waiting since i purchased my T8 for this to finally be active, but i will have to walk my dealer through how to do it.

Hi, having a T8 myself, and seen the remote start on the app
      I was wondering in which situation to use it? what would it be good for?

Finally it is working on my 2016 US T8! I will pick it up later from the dealer to see what was done...
      But I see now Parking Climate (Precond.) and Remote Start in the iPhone App!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking42 View Post
      Hi, having a T8 myself, and seen the remote start on the app
      I was wondering in which situation to use it? what would it be good for?
      Warming or cooling the vehicle to my comfort level prior to entering it is my primary use case.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAllard View Post
      So does it work? Con you confirm for the thread you gave a US T8 that now is able to use remote start (starting without being plugged in) - If so can you also summarize what the dealer did? Ive been waiting since i purchased my T8 for this to finally be active, but i will have to walk my dealer through how to do it.
      Yes. The front lights flash once and you hear the engine start. With that being said I can't tell if it is heating/cooling the cabin at all. When I get in the car I don't hear anything and no climate is on. The app does say that it turns off when you unlock the door. So idk, maybe I'm missing it. Or maybe it doesn't activate climate but just warms the engine?

Glad to hear it's finally out , Unfortunately Canada still has to wait. Maybe they will release the pollstar update at the same time. I'm hoping eventually they will update the app so we can charge the battery while the engine is running.

Yes. The front lights flash once and you hear the engine start. With that being said I can't tell if it is heating/cooling the cabin at all. When I get in the car I don't hear anything and no climate is on. The app does say that it turns off when you unlock the door. So idk, maybe I'm missing it. Or maybe it doesn't activate climate but just warms the engine?

Is your Climate set to Auto? That would be key. Also, maybe have the seat and/steering wheel heat defaulted on. Surely, if it is cold outside, you can tell if climate worked once you're inside. The climate might be too mild to detect the difference on the east coast. I will not get it installed until May.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | 22" Summer | et al | TSU installed June 14, 2017 (ACC fix)

Warming or cooling the vehicle to my comfort level prior to entering it is my primary use case.
      That is parkign climate, not remote start
      what woudl you use remote start for?

Any update after picking it up? All working? I also have a 2016 T8, and I want to bring this forums info in to get the update done - just want to be sure it is all set. Last time a gave them the wrong part number (which was mis-given to this forum by Volvo).

Parking climate/preconditioning on US-spec T8 only works when plugged in. Remote start allows vehicle to run when not plugged in and will auto start climate if so configured. We don't get the fuel-fired heater that Europe gets.

I don't see REMOTE START option in my VOC app, but was able to successfully PRECONDITION my 2016 T8 last week when it was plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by laxal50 View Post
      I don't see REMOTE START option in my VOC app, but was able to successfully PRECONDITION my 2016 T8 last week when it was plugged in.
      For the US market, I also confirmed with my dealer that remote Start (ICE) is now available. From reading the above, I understand that once installed on your car, the Remote Start feature will appear on your VOC app. Hopefully, Canada will be getting it soon.

Remote Start will be helpful in the US when it is (extremely) cold and the car is not able to be plugged in for preconditioning. For southern states in the heat belt, it may also be useful to cool down the car - particularly if the air exchange from a hot interior to ambient temperature (e.g. +100°F) is not enough of a cool down.

Regardless of whether you use remote start or preconditioning, you will want to configure your climate to "Auto".

In extremely warm temps, would someone confirm that remote start and Auto Climate will also begin a cool down of the hybrid battery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | 22" Summer | et al | TSU installed June 14, 2017 (ACC fix)

For Canadian T8 owners:
      " At the moment the remote start function is currently unavailable. This is currently being worked on, and we anticipate for this to be available within the next few months. Once this is available, it would be done through a Volvo retailer."

That is from Canadian support. So no go for us. I just don't get it why???

Good News.

Volvo just released a Service update on MY16's with build week of 46 or earlier. The VIDA updates the ability to remotely turn on climate conditioning without being plugged in. Apparently it may use the hybrid battery or start the engine depending on the battery level. I missed the S number but it was released on May 4th.

Indicated that the remote start function was inadvertently left of of vehicles built before week 46.

MY16 XC90 T8, Inscription, Onyx Black
      Vision, Conv, HUD, Climate, B&W, 4-Corner Susp., PAII

I'm in Europe to.
      Parking climate works plugged or unplugged thanks to the auxiliary heater we have here in Europe.
      I just had remote start installed and tested it once. Doesn't work when plugged in. It flashes the signal lights and wakes up the car. Fans start to work but the ICE don't start. Seems to use the hybrid battery.
      I'll have to do some more testing but think I'll use it for on the spot warming up or cooling when away from home and not plugged in.
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Uukonjack View Post
      Good News.

Volvo just released a Service update on MY16's with build week of 46 or earlier. The VIDA updates the ability to remotely turn on climate conditioning without being plugged in. Apparently it may use the hybrid battery or start the engine depending on the battery level. I missed the S number but it was released on May 4th.

Indicated that the remote start function was inadvertently left of of vehicles built before week 46.

For USA and Canada: The information can be found in Service Action S39820 and TJ32440.1.1 which affects 3,912 vehicles in US and 754 in Canada. Basically, any MY16 and selected MY17 (with a structure week before week 46 of 2016) will need to have Part 31678916 installed. It is important to note that Service Action 39816 VDDM PBL Upgrade must be performed First before the remote start software is installed. (Don't ask what all of that means.

This service action will be in effect of June 30, 2019 regardless of mileage. Don't wait to get it down - if for no other reason than future resale or trade.

Once installed, the TJ essentially says that the owner may need to logout and re-launch the VOC App for the function to appear.

P.S., I hope this is good news for our Canadian friends. The service action said that "Volvo Cars USA LLC and Volvo Car of Canada Ltd on behalf of Volvo Car Corporation has decided to launch Service Action S39820...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mavi57 View Post
      I'm in Europe to.
      I'll have to do some more testing but think I'll use it for on the spot warming up or cooling when away from home and not plugged in.
      Yes, that is what it is intended to address on the spot heating or cooling - when you are unplugged.

The TJ for US and Canada says:

Parkng Climate: Use when Charge cable is connected. The High Voltage Coolant Heater and/or Electrical Air Conditioning compressor are used to adjust the vehicle cabin temperature. The combustion engine will not start."

Remote Start: Use when Charge cable is not connected. The High Voltage Coolant Heater and/or Electrical Air Conditioning compressor are used to adjust the vehicle cabin temperature. This means that the combustion engine may or may not start, depending on the high voltage battery's state of charge."

I'm excited to see this happening. This is probably number one on my wife's wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      I'm excited to see this happening. This is probably number one on my wife's wish list.
      My wife's, too. My T8 is at the dealer and being updated next week.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 05-06-2017 at 09:06 AM.

just confirm with my dealer, the Remote Start for T8 in Canada is available now and you should request this when you got to the dealer, they are not sure whether this would be included in the total system upgrade.
      and also for Polestar of T8, it should be available around week 22. which is end of May. so hopefully, we would install it in couple weeks.
      2017 T8 , bursting blue, back interior , B/W, convenience, vision, climate, HUD, 22s, air suspension, protection pkg

Quote Originally Posted by lxyzh View Post
      just confirm with my dealer, the Remote Start for T8 in Canada is available now and you should request this when you got to the dealer, they are not sure whether this would be included in the total system upgrade.
      and also for Polestar of T8, it should be available around week 22. which is end of May. so hopefully, we would install it in couple weeks.
      I can conform that is available in Canada now. You have to ask for it
      Just got my T8 updated with that

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast