Remote start for T8 in the US - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by seadooxp30 View Post
      I can conform that is available in Canada now. You have to ask for it
      Just got my T8 updated with that
      Great, thanks for confirming! Will be doing my 1 yr service in June so will get all these updates.

Now if they would only fix the VOC app for the T8 that shows the battery info properly lol
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PAII | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Remote Start installed on my MY16 T8 (US) and it works great. No charge for update as it is classified as a service action.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al | TSU installed May 16, 2017

I'm a little confused. Own MY2017 XC90 in U.S. and I don't have Remote Start. I have Parking Climate which seems to work fine. And my VOC app is Android v3.66

Is this thread saying a Remote (engine) Start is available and can be added to my car, if requested at dealer? Or ???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, you need a software update to the vehicle by the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      Yes, you need a software update to the vehicle by the dealer.
      Thank you, do I not see "Remote Start" as an option in VOC app because it is not yet operational in my car or because the Android version is still at 3.66?

Could be both, but even with the current VOC app (mine just updated to the new look last night, Android), you will not see it until your vehicle is upgraded. I'm going in tomorrow to get my vehicle upgraded.

If it helps anyone, here's the body of my invoice after the Remote Start update. I went in for Item B. The service advisor told me Item A was a prerequisite to Item B. He also told me that Item A included the Sensus 2.0/total software upgrade and that he was told to not list total software upgrade separately.

2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      In another thread it came up that someone here in the US has a 2016 T8 with remote start that was enabled by the November software update. To my knowledge this has not been rolled out to any model year T8 in the US. Have I been misinformed? If so, why does my 2017 T8 lack the capability even though it's had software updates three times between December and mid-January? I could have really been taking advantage of the feature the last few months.

So, any other of you T8 owners in the US have remote start enabled?
      I can precondition my 2016 T8 without being plugged into 240v if I have sufficient battery capacity, but I cannot remotely start the car (ICE). That is with whatever updates the dealership did when I bought my car in November 2016. I believe what allowed it to work was an update to the app in maybe Feb. 2017... I thought I had read on here that an car software update would be out in late spring/early summer 2017 to allow actual remote start.

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      Thank you, do I not see "Remote Start" as an option in VOC app because it is not yet operational in my car or because the Android version is still at 3.66?

Could be both, but even with the current VOC app (mine just updated to the new look last night, Android), you will not see it until your vehicle is upgraded. I'm going in tomorrow to get my vehicle upgraded.
      I've got my vehicle at the dealer now to get updated and my VOC app now shows remote start. Apparently it shows up automatically once your vehicle has the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevlig View Post
      If it helps anyone, here's the body of my invoice after the Remote Start update. I went in for Item B. The service advisor told me Item A was a prerequisite to Item B. He also told me that Item A included the Sensus 2.0/total software upgrade and that he was told to not list total software upgrade separately.
      This is because what is put on the invoice directly affects how the shop is reimbursed by Volvo. A second listing of what Volvo calls a Total Software Update means an additional chargeable claim. I was told that the 39816 service action includes the full software update as well.

Android store still has v3.6.6

Is there a different place with a more current app?

This is from the Play Store.

The Play Store is showing version 3.6.6 for me. I'm running Android 7 so perhaps v4.0 is not yet compatible with Android 7...

I'm on O. My guess is maybe it's a staggered rollout since it's a major redesign.

I'm a little confused. Own MY2017 XC90 in U.S. and I don't have Remote Start. I have Parking Climate which seems to work fine. And my VOC app is Android v3.66

Is this thread saying a Remote (engine) Start is available and can be added to my car, if requested at dealer? Or ???
      Got it back and unplugged preconditioning and remote start both now work. Woo! Too bad we didn't have it for last winter.

Now to get that battery status back...

One step at a time. At least Volvo has been understanding and offering the service for free via customer care until it works properly. That goes a long way for my patience.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post

Got it back and unplugged preconditioning and remote start both now work. Woo! Too bad we didn't have it for last winter.

Now to get that battery status back...
      It should be fairly quick for them to resolve the battery stat issue. If you ask VCC the service desk still says it's supposed to be there and they are working on the fix.

The Play Store is showing version 3.6.6 for me. I'm running Android 7 so perhaps v4.0 is not yet compatible with Android 7...

Interesting that the old app version has new screenshots. I have a Nexus 6 with 7.0 Android and it's not updated for me either.

Although I do not have an Android, I would be surprised if remote start is dependent on the latest Android app. FWIW, my wife's iPhone 5 has the previous version app 3.6.4 (iOS) and remote start (US and CA) does appears and it does work for her.

One thing to check is when you car was built. According to the Parts Bulletin and Service Bulletin, if your XC90 was built during or after structure week 46 2016 (last of Nov.?), the Remote software should already be installed. If before week 46, the dealer must install the software. You could reference the part number that is listed on the Service Bulletin and Technical Journal which been previously posted. There is a sequence of updates that the techs will follow. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 05-20-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Removed ref to Android OS; updated
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al | TSU installed May 16, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Although I do not have an Android, I would be surprised if remote start is dependent on the latest Android app. FWIW, my wife's iPhone 5 has the previous version app 3.6.4 (iOS) and remote start (US and CA) does appears and it does work for her.
      The functionality has NOTHING to do with the app itself. All the app does is connect to Volvo servers and ask "what is available". That's how it gets all of the data about the car, the trips, the functionality it should have, etc..

EDIT: I know for a fact that GPS and the like is not tracked through the app since my wife drives the car with no app on her phone and the trips show up. The app is merely a way to get access to that data.
      Last edited by WhoaVolvo; 05-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Woo! My car is still in for service and will be there through Monday, but I now see Remote Start in the VOC app. The list of caveats sure does drive home the inferiority of an ICE engine for this functionality, though.

This, in comparison to the list of caveats for a Leaf, Tesla, etc:
      -The car must have connectivity/reception.
      -The battery must not be empty.
      -There is no #3.

Woo! My car is still in for service and will be there through Monday, but I now see Remote Start in the VOC app. The list of caveats sure does drive home the inferiority of an ICE engine for this functionality, though.

This, in comparison to the list of caveats for a Leaf, Tesla, etc:
      -The car must have connectivity/reception.
      -The battery must not be empty.
      -There is no #3.
      FWIW, you should be able to precondition untethered now as well, so remote start is just a last resort.

Even if you initiate Remote Start, I found that the battery will be used to precondition - at least for cooling - if there is sufficient charge on the hybrid battery. My guess is the car tries the unplugged preconditioning first - consistent with what phillipu.

Cool. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Even if you initiate Remote Start, I found that the battery will be used to precondition - at least for cooling - if there is sufficient charge on the hybrid battery. My guess is the car tries the unplugged preconditioning first - consistent with what phillipu.
      I actually did not notice this. I guess when I tried my remote start it was low on battery so I assumed it was engine only. Thanks. Good to know.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4