Quick & Dirty - a V50 project for a great kid.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Quick & Dirty - a V50 project for a great kid.

Hello to the P1 forum. I have a long history of buying salvage cars and fixing them for myself, links to my current 3 cars are in my signature. My dad also does, in fact he just retired after 25 years doing it as a business. But now that he's retired, he's bored and can't stop shopping for cars. Which leads us to my daughter, his granddaughter. She's a great kid, nerdy, well behaved, getting straight A's in honors courses as a freshman in high school.

She was 4 when she first helped me reassemble a 940 after welding in a new rocker and dog leg:

Turned her first lug nuts at 6:

Installed a stereo at 7:

Helped strip my 122:

And most recently, when she was 11 she helped me swap out modules and ignition switch on my C70:

She turns 15 in June, and will get her learner's permit soon after that. But because my dad and I are idiots and can't stop shopping for cars, we found this easy to fix V50 T5 AWD Auto at the salvage auction. It happens to be exactly what she wanted for her first car, so how could we pass it up? Even though she can't even drive it for 3 more months.

So far, I removed the broken headlight and crushed grille to assess the damage:

The fender is pulled under the hood a little:

Obvious slight buckle:

Crumpled metal behind the hit:

First, I got a heat gun and popped out the bumper where it was inverted:

Then I washed it:

Bummer, a little bubbling on the tint.

A daylight close up of the bumper after I popped it out:

Then I undid the screws at the front and of course the fender straightened right out. Now I can see how far things have to move to be right again.

Here's a shot of the driver's side, and what that crumpled metal is supposed to look like:

Next I took the bumper cover off, and everything behind the grille is kind of munched.

Removed all that to get to the good stuff. And no, the a/c condenser is not punctured, fortunately!

Again, what the metal is supposed to look like:

Top view showing buckling. This is supposed to be straight.

I pulled, twisted, and beat on it for about an hour. I got the fender bolts lined up, and this is about as straight as I'm going to get this. As long as the bumper fits back on and the panel gaps line up, I'm fine with it.

Boom. Fender bolted back down, perfect panel gap. Unfortunately yes I did haze the paint. I'm an idiot when it comes to paint sometimes, all that dirt was actually extremely abrasive. I sprayed a little water on it and wiped, and that is the result. I'm sure it'll buff back out but man do I feel stupid.

And here it sits, waiting for new parts. I'm shopping the classifieds here of course, and ebay, and erie, and tasca, etc.

I need to get the thing through Colorado's salvage inspection so I'm kind of pushing forward without her, but once it's licensed and registered I'll have her go through all the stage 0 items with me. Full fluid changes, spark plugs, filters, PCV, accessory belts, and I'll probably do the timing belt while we're here just to be done and have the car bulletproof for the forseeable future.

Plus I'll start teaching her to drive. Can't wait.

You know, I've always been kind of a grumpy firm believer that your first car should be a total piece of crap, for the crisis management skills that it can build. Yet here I am, getting her a really fantastic car for her first ride. She's such a good kid that I have a hard time not spoiling her. First time I had a car this nice I was 26 years old.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Hybrid turbo, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good choice! And I swear I'm not just saying that because it's identical to my car.

great job dad!
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yep, great story! Good that you've involved your daughter in your love for cars from an early age, which hopefully will instill in her the desire to take good care of her own future vehicles and also make her a better, more careful driver. The statistics are what they are for new drivers, so you have to get out ahead of that curve. Also good to keep her in the Volvo, not just for safety, but for reliability, and since you're good with these cars she has a built-in mechanic . Trust me, with our son (and soon-to-be second new driver in our family) I tossed around the "piece of crap first car" idea many times, but never liked the idea of them driving an unknown entity car where I had doubts about safety and didn't know how to fix a Honda lol.
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, 18" Odysseus, Multimedia, Climate, BLIS, PCC, PA 80k
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, 17" Sculptor, Dynamic Package 77k
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, 17" Chrome Tucana, HU803-Dynaudio 128k
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

I went through a similar thing but my damage ended at a crack in the bumper and grille and a broken headlight. Same deal though unbolted everything and it all shifted back in place. Paint and new headlight and grille and it turned out beautiful.

I would suggest you go through ebay for headlights and grille recently someone sold used pair of headlights for 100$. The Grille is also a very nice touch. May want to consider one of those badgeless grilles. They sell them in black too.

Grille link: 99$

Then i would get a volvo emblem and put it on without the slanted part.

Those two can easily make the front end of that car look fantastic.

I would suggest also expanding to C30, S40 and ofcourse V50 for headlights.

Pair of headlights for 250

Or separate.
      LH
      53$

RH
      34$

Or you may want to consider going with the facelift bumper and headlights since now is a good time to do so.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Thanks for the kind words and the help! Do the facelift headlights fit the same fenders? So it's just the bumper, grille and lights? That's good to know.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Hybrid turbo, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Thanks for the kind words and the help! Do the facelift headlights fit the same fenders? So it's just the bumper, grille and lights? That's good to know.
      Yes, you may need the foam piece behind the cover in front of the craash beam but other than that I think its a direct bolt on.

Obviously you will need:
      Headlights,
      Bumper Cover,
      Upper and lower Grilles,
      Fog Lights, Not sure if the V50 PreFL are the same as FL.
      Crash foam, could be the same. may wanna dig some PNs to see if they differed.
      Potentially washer bottle but i think at the time when i did mine i was told i only need Bumper and lamps. Nothing else.

So since you are gonna dump some money on those components why not scour around the local scrap yards and see if you can find a black bumper and some lights and bingo, you got yourself a very fresh looking vehicle.

The rear is the same way, just bumper cover and tail lamps.

This is what mine looked like.

New light, grille and paint on the bumper and back to like new.

And at its highlight of its life it used to look like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How'd the silver match-up?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Absolutely no issue, for whatever reason the guy who painted the bumper did a great job. Didnt have to do any matching at all.

I have had a lot of luck with the paint you order through automotivetouchup.com. Never had an issue with mismatch especially on the metallics and i know how hard it is to get them to match.

Shell for sure love it. I'm currently a junior in highschool and all of my friends constantly talk about my car (06 s40). I always hear around the school about "the kid with the all black Volvo" and it feels pretty sweet. Looks amazing too and it's perfect for what I need.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by fewloosebolts View Post
      Good choice! And I swear I'm not just saying that because it's identical to my car.
      Came here to say the same, you beat me to it!
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 196K miles

My daughter has the XC as a senior, and all the kids in school think she's cool. They love it.
      When I was in HS, the kids who had Volvos were the snobby, rich kids.
      Nice work, LD! She's lucky. I recall working on stuff with my Dad at an early age. It was invaluable knowledge, even though I never really use it much - I understood, and was humbled by his hard work in heat, cold, etc.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

When I was in HS, people that drove Volvo's were middle-aged teachers. ha!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Got a box of parts from a part-out here, good stuff:

Got a headlight too. Unfortunately it didn't fit right. I tweaked a few things and it fits better now, but the main mounting point is still pushed backwards. There was an S40 at the junkyard with that front headlight support fully intact in black, so I think I might go try to pull it tomorrow. It will fix everything back to original.

Then with a little zip tie surgery:

And of course. The worst part is I was just checking to see if this was broken and broke it.

Gonna try to get the kid herself to help install the rest of this. Also the auction yard hasn't sent us the title yet so I can't even try to get it inspected until that's done. So I have time.

Wow. Almost the same zip-tie surgery I did on mine.

Mine was a smidge worse off (I hit a deer with it). Turned out okay, though. Insurance check was almost $7,000 - just shy of totaling it. And I fixed it (quick and dirty) for $800.

Last edited by walky_talky20; 04-03-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Lloyd if you need any P1 assistance we've found each other and started P1Nation in Colorado.

That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Awesome, I'll be sure to hunt you guys down.

Made it to the u-pull yard today, but the black car was stripped. There was a silver S40 that was nearly complete, and since I had to remove the bumper cover to get where I wanted anyway, I bought it to re-sell. Anybody need a very decent silver bumper cover, complete with fogs and grille?

This part was surprisingly easy to pull, barely anything really attaches to it besides the fenders, headlights, and hood catch.

I also snagged this PCV hose to replace the broken one above. I think it's the updated design that's less failure prone. I'll replace it again at some point but this will get me back on the road. And they threw it in for free.

I also snagged the driver's mirror to replace at a later date, the one in the car now is broken and doesn't go high enough.

All this after working yesterday and this morning assembling a machine at my day job. I'm beat.

Actually yes I do. Is it 426 silver?

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Well, I'm an idiot and didn't check the actual color tag but I'm pretty sure it is. Tomorrow I'll hold it up against my C70 (which is 426) for color match. Did they offer any other silver in 2004?

What scrap yard has a black s40?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Littleton U-Pull, south of 470 on Santa Fe. It's pretty stripped now but they have 4 P1 cars there with nearly complete interiors. Three graphite and one tan. I actually got a full set of floor mats.

One of them is a real heartbreaker, a gorgeous bright blue (Cosmos? Ocean Race?) V50 AWD 6 speed that was scraped all down the side. Front bumper was 99% perfect but the entire drivetrain was already out and gone.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 04-10-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Wow. Maybe I'll go stop by on my days off.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There's an electric silver that year with a bit more blue in it. I think it's 466

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

The bumper is definitely 426 mystic silver. Where exactly are you mercdude? There's a guy delivering a black bumper to me on his way to california at the end of this week, maybe he can deliver this silver one to you.

So I had a weird day, I took my daughter to her mom's house and then I came home around noon and fell asleep. Woke up at 9 PM. I had planned to work on cars all day, so at least now it was cool outside. I went out and started stripping the headlight support:

The thick tab near where the bumper bolts on was tweaked backwards a little, that's the only damage not confined to the headlight support.

After about an hour:

Everything fit up nicely:

While I was in there with a bunch of stuff out of the way I detoured to replace this thing. Great design change fellas:

And with that, I reassembled everything. There's a little oddness where the hood meets the bumper, I got the fenders to line up but the bumper is riding high. I'll wait for the new bumper to do anything about it though.

And with that, I should be able to get it through the salvage inspection. I'll figure that out this week.

The real bummer of this is that my daughter has been super busy with a school play that has practice during any time I'm supposed to have her, and performs this coming week which wipes that out as well. I'm tired of having this car in the garage, my C70 belongs in there, but I have to get it registered as I have no private driveway to park it in. So I gave up on having her do this part of the work with me. I will probably have her swap bumper covers with me once the replacement gets here.

Sent pm

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Good to see it's coming along. I'm personally waiting for my radiator to start leaking so I can replace it and the frame it sits in from the accident mine was in ebfore I bought it. Sadly it appears to be much heartier than I thought. Oh well, play the waiting game for now. I'm down on the north side of the Springs (next to the Air Force Academy) if you ever come down here.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

(Odd editing situation: A post got deleted asking if my daughter is self-motivated in regard to cars.)

Nah, I kind of have to force it. I think this car will inspire a little more though because it's hers.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 04-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Scheduled my salvage inspection appointment for tomorrow, so in anticipation of that I changed the oil.

All hail crappy techs who use an impact to tighten an oil plug. I was very lucky it wasn't stripped. It took all my strength with an 18 inch cheater bar to crack it loose.

Got a temp tag at the DMV on my way to work, then bailed early and realized I might have enough time to emission it if they weren't crowded. They weren't:

Bam. So all it has to do now is pass certified VIN inspection (it will) and it's good to go!

Now that it has registration I can park it outside, which means the C70 gets to go back inside. And all is right in my world again.

Really I should find nearby storage for the 122 and get the R in there too.

Hey Chris
      Glad all the front end parts arrived ok! I really like that the parts I removed from our parts car help restore another car for a very deserving daughter! Tom is also on track to get you that black bumper any day now; his trip has quite a story behind it... be sure to ask him!
      Dan
      98 v70R saffron, 98 v70r black, 04 v70xc nautic, , 06 xc90 v8 gunmetal, 83 242 Group A med blue metallic, 82 242 DL, 2006 s40 t5a, s40t5m awd RED, s40t5m awd Black, 04 s60r silver.
      Sold-98V70Rm silver, 93 245 silver, 98v70xc sandstone, 96 855r black totaled/parted, 96 855r white, 98 xc70 olive, 99 s70r, 05 s40 t5m (x2) silver, 94 854 na turquoise:

RE: overtightened oil drain plug.
      Several years ago one of my mechanic's workers over! tightened the oil drain plug to the point I also had to use 18" breaker bar with extension. I told him I was going to torque his testicles to the same specs as the oil drain plug if that ever happened again. Never happened again.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Hey lloyd, just speaking as a son of a guy who bought me my first Volvo as a project car, I wanna say thanks for doing this. It shows that while the later generations of this world may not trust us youngins, there are some who are willing to go out on a limb to test that principle.

Speaking as a nineteen year old with a project Volvo, in my case the 850 in my signature, I can tell you for a fact that if you give this to your daughter, she will respect and understand you like never before. I didn't really tend to get along with my old man until he went down with me to that used car lot and made a decision. Now, we share a love of cars, repairing them and appreciating them.

Some words of advice (and while I'm in no position I just wanted to share): Don't let her get too sucked into it. I've made that mistake much too many times. She sounds like a very bright kid. While working on a car is great, it should probably remain a hobby and not a distraction. I'm a college freshman and I can say with all certainty that had I not bought a car I would have had a perfect 4.0 GPA. She also may have her first accident, and hopefully that never happens but if it does thank god it occurs in a Volvo.

Here's hoping that your daughter really loves her "new" Volvo when she's able to drive it!
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 150,1xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 96,5xx /

I had to delete my post...for some reason, editing would work. Sorry about that!

Anyway though; you're a terrific dad a father teaching his daughter how to work on a car is such an important thing

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post

Now that it has registration I can park it outside,
      Is that an HOA thing? I think most everywhere in my neck of the woods allows 1 unregistered car on a property.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      Is that an HOA thing? I think most everywhere in my neck of the woods allows 1 unregistered car on a property.
      Yeah, I'm actually in a townhouse complex as you can see, and parking is such a huge issue that they will tow cars without plates just so that people don't store junk cars outside.

Small update: I got the certified VIN inspection done on Saturday, he breezed through it and barely looked at the repair. He just checked the VIN and my receipts and filled out the form. When I went to the DMV this morning to get plates, the clerk pointed out that the VIN inspector transposed the last two numbers on the form!

HE HAD ONE JOB AND HE SCREWED IT UP! Fortunately I already called them and they are going to have him fix it without having to do the whole inspection over again. I'm surprised they are trusting me like that but hey, as long as it means I'm not having to go through the hassle of a new temp tag and re-inspection I'm all for it.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 04-24-2017 at 06:38 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements