Major electrical issues - 2005 V50 T5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 19 of 19
    1. #1

      Major electrical issues - 2005 V50 T5

      While driving my V50 yesterday many aspects of the electrical system went haywire all at once. The horn started blowing, the high beams flashing on and off, the hazard lights flashing, doors locking and unlocking, etc. This kept up for several blocks until I got the rest of the way home (driving slower, very loudly). Not everything stopped when I shut down the car - the horn kept blowing for another minute and the locks were opening and closing. Lights might have been flashing, too. I was in a rush, so I simply left the car in the driveway and waited to check it today after work. Tonight the battery was completely dead, so I opened the door with the key (Fob wouldn't do anything) and jumped the car with a battery back. It started and ran, but with all of the same electrical crazyness. After I shut it back down unnoticed a faint rapid clicking and the battery quickly drained to nothing again. Very faint smell of electrical burning.

      Any guesses? Fried computer is mine... hoping for something simpler.
      Last edited by GoBigRed; 03-29-2017 at 01:52 AM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Ohio, USA
      Posts
      289
      Have you by chance checked the CEM? This is located underneath the passenger side glove box. Might need to take some things in the dash apart but this unit is what controls the high beams, etc. If it went bad it could be sending crazy signals on the CanBUS network causing all of this to go crazy. If you have VIDA you can narrow this down exactly to tell whether or not it's a problem with the computer or just a physical electrical problem itself. Do you have VIDA? I can walk you through a test if so. If not I'd definitely check the CEM

      Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

    4. #3
      Junior Member Raphmass24's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Canada , quebec
      Posts
      83
      Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed View Post
      While driving my V50 yesterday many aspects of the electrical system went haywire all at once. The horn started blowing, the high beams flashing on and off, the hazard lights flashing, doors locking and unlocking, etc. This kept up for several blocks until I got the rest of the way home (driving slower, very loudly). Not everything stopped when I shut down the car - the horn kept blowing for another minute and the locks were opening and closing. Lights might have been flashing, too. I was in a rush, so I simply left the car in the driveway and waited to check it today after work. Tonight the battery was completely dead, so I opened the door with the key (Fob wouldn't do anything) and jumped the car with a battery back. It started and ran, but with all of the same electrical crazyness. After I shut it back down unnoticed a faint rapid clicking and the battery quickly drained to nothing again. Very faint smell of electrical burning.

      Any guesses? Fried computer is mine... hoping for something simpler.
      Let's start with the simplest thing first. These cars like to do some crazy stuff on a dead battery, I'd check how it behaves with a known good battery first. After that you can start worrying about more complex issues.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      I'm confident that the battery wasn't dead before this issue appeared, but it certainly is completely dead now.

      When I can get a jump start I'll be bringing the car over to my mechanic's to have him scan using VIDA. Interesting suggestions about checking the CEM. My mechanic also suggested the ignition switch, which was most recently replaced a couple years ago. Not sure how many electrical issues that single switch could cause, though?

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Ohio, USA
      Posts
      289
      I don't think the ignition switch could cause your high beams and all to flash along with the horn, etc. I'd still be very interested in checking the CEM as that's what all of those functions lead back to... They're all controlled by the CEM.

      Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

    8. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Northern CA
      Posts
      2,130
      Yeah, could be a short at the CEM. But I agree with the above - first get a new battery and then start to see if the situation replicates. It's unusual to have these sort of issues. At the worst though, contact an old priest and a young priest
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

    9. #7
      Member LloydDobler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,540
      If you have smoke and burning smell the last thing you want to do is drive the car. I would recommend towing it.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Pure Turbos Hybrid, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

    10. #8
      Member AutoGeek's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      MD, Howard Co.
      Posts
      1,461
      Is the car named Christine? It sounds possessed.

      A failing battery can cause strange electrical issues with these cars. Might try disconnecting the battery, charge it with a battery charger, and reconnect. When you reconnect, place the key in position II first, reconnect and then key to position 0.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

      1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

      Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Is the car named Christine? It sounds possessed.

      A failing battery can cause strange electrical issues with these cars. Might try disconnecting the battery, charge it with a battery charger, and reconnect. When you reconnect, place the key in position II first, reconnect and then key to position 0.
      Surprised to hear a battery could cause such issues. I'm on my third battery and am confident it wasn't low... but I'll mention to my mechanic. Towed the car to the shop this evening and already pointed him to this thread (hi Pat!). Thanks!

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Switzerland
      Posts
      3
      I also had major electrical issues, all related to the additional electrical equipment. Look at CEM (Ford design - called GEM) which is under the dash on the passenger side. There are two relays on the upper side of the CEM. Remove and check the relay R18 - relay comfort functions. Mine was faulty
      Last edited by yves4640; 03-31-2017 at 12:29 AM.

    13. #11
      My mechanic discovered that a coolant line was leaking onto my CEM module (for who knows how long?) and likely destroyed the unit. He said it was heavily corroded and recommended replacing rather than trying to salvage it. A new one plus reprogramming is about $1,100. And I need the fix the coolant leak, and replace the battery since the shorted CEM apparently drained it completely and destroyed the battery. Prelim estimate is around $1,800 to fix/replace all that. On a car with 165k miles that Kelly Blue Book values at about $3,000. Gulp. I'll try to get another year out of it, but these are the last repairs for sure. Will check in when I get it back and have it actually running.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Sydney, Australia
      Posts
      138
      i had dash warning lights flashing upon vigorous movement of the steering wheel (as the weight shifted about), the odd "ABS temporarily disabled" message, and the car even stalled once.

      I removed the CEM, cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner and blew it out with my air compressor.

      It hasn't flashed again. While I was there I changed the cabin filter. (my car is RHD).
      2008 V50 T5 AWD

    15. #13
      If you dont have ability let someone resolder and clean it... Costs nothing and may fix it... Sure there might be more serious issue due short but give it a try..

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      283
      Quote Originally Posted by yves4640 View Post
      I also had major electrical issues, all related to the additional electrical equipment. Look at CEM (Ford design - called GEM) which is under the dash on the passenger side. There are two relays on the upper side of the CEM. Remove and check the relay R18 - relay comfort functions. Mine was faulty
      how does one go about checking this relay? multimeter, and what's it supposed to read?
      06 V70R Magic Blue

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Ohio, USA
      Posts
      289
      You can use the multimeter to check for continuity. http://m.wikihow.com/Test-a-Relay?amp=1

      Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      283
      Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      You can use the multimeter to check for continuity. http://m.wikihow.com/Test-a-Relay?amp=1

      Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Ok. So, just check all the pins for continuity? Or is there a particular method to the madness?
      06 V70R Magic Blue

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Ohio, USA
      Posts
      289
      Quote Originally Posted by komatiite View Post
      Ok. So, just check all the pins for continuity? Or is there a particular method to the madness?
      How many pins are on the relay? I'm at school so don't have the wiring diagram... Can you post a pic of it for me? A picture of the bottom part where the pins are would be helpful.

      Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

    20. #18
      6, if i remember correctly. There are 2 relays on the CEM one with 4 and 1 with 6 pins iirc. The top PCB is intensively coated with water sealing lacquer. (the 'high power' one). the one with the fine electronics isn't sealed. Perhaps you can have a specialist have a look at the CEM. Have you tried how the coolant smells? the faint smell can also be the coolant. Perhaps the CEM is still in tact. I would pull it first. Unscrew the two little thumb-screws in the front, pull it slightly forward while tilting it downward. Unplug the top plugs in the back, then the lower ones and then the upper ones on top. The box has a few screws in it, you can take it apart pretty easily, the top is held in place with a few clips, just use a thin metal insert to unhook them. Just take your time. It might be a faulty unit, but it also might have been the water that created the issues, cleaning might help. Don't use a contact spray, use something like rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.

      it appears you could buy a 2nd hand; (they are fair cheap)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0w...annel=lmsvvavr

    21. #19
      I had this EXACT same thing happen on my 06 V50! It took the dealer over 3 weeks to figure out. They thought computer too...but it turned out to be a wire chafing problem right under the computer. I did not see the problem, but that's what they told me, and they only charged for some wire splicing/repair, so I assume that's accurate.

      Dave
      06 V50 2.5T 6-spd

    22. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements