Maple Brown: Just can't make up my mind
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 46
    1. #1

      Maple Brown: Just can't make up my mind

      Seems that if you want to buy a V90CC off the floor your choices right now are pretty much a loaded maple brown, or a slightly less equipped Osmium Grey. I always assumed that Brown would be a risky color in terms of future resale, and there's those old AAA studies about higher accident rates, but it seems to be the color of choice for more and more high end brands these days. Can't quite wrap my mind around having a brown car for some reason, but in person I must admit the CC looked quite nice. What does the peanut gallery think about the maple brown?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      Hudson Valley, NY
      Posts
      2,173
      Brown is the ultimate enthusiast wagon color man!

      That said, I'd absolutely never drive a brown car. Just doesn't suit me.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

    4. #3
      Junior Member kyngofpop's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      323
      Brown cars=🤢


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Janet Jackson is truly 'UNBREAKABLE'. My heartbeat. LOVE you for LIFE JANET!!!

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member skywolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      1,242
      Blue ones are magic.

      I can't buy one because I can't sell one.
      2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

    7. #5
      Personally, never would appeal to me. I can see that being a color one could tire of or have some buyers remorse over. It's way to personal a decision and if anyone reading this picked the color and is happy with it they have every right to correct me🙄
      JTMav

    8. #6
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      5,459
      Did you see it in the showroom or outdoors? I thought that Maple Brown was gorgeous in the showroom, but otherwise it either looks black or just doesn't shine.

      I'm not a fan. This is a color that photographs better than it looks in normal life situations.

      For credibility sake regarding seeing it in different lighting, I pass one at a dealership every single day on the way to and from work. It's currently parked parallel to the road with nothing else blocking the view.

      That same dealership has added a bright silver non-luxury package
      Fairwell Tour: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Daily Driver: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Albany,NY
      Posts
      184
      OP are you in Albany? That's the exact choices they had here. The maple IMHO was not attractive, but the seats were spectacular to the touch.

    10. #8
      I guess since I had to ask, it's probably not the color for me. it's just it looked so good when I first saw it, and then the doubts about it started nagging me. I see some of these getting discounted pretty soon if more people don't like the color though, so probably some good deals to come. I'm looking at a ups truck outside my window right now and thinking I can't see myself in brown either. Amazing to me that they would ship the first tranche of luxury equipped models all in brown. Bold move.

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by adkmooserider View Post
      OP are you in Albany? That's the exact choices they had here. The maple IMHO was not attractive, but the seats were spectacular to the touch.
      No, mid-atlantic. If you look on cars.com it seems that volvo has blanketed dealerships across the country with the maple brown for the luxury models and osmium grey for the non-lux packages. Guess it's the flagship color for the States. I agree that it can look really good in certain light, but brown just doesn't compute as a car color for me yet. Just like I used to think white was for appliances (even though I had a white v70xc once), I just don't think of Brown as a car color. I eventually came around to appreciate how easy it is to keep a white car clean looking, so maybe I'll come around on the v90 brown.

    12. #10
      Yup, out here in California I drove a maple brown as well

      Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

    13. #11
      Wow, no votes for maple brown? I saw one in bright sunlight yesterday and it actually looked better than I remember. Oh heck, I'll never decide.

    14. #12
      Member skywolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      1,242
      Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      Wow, no votes for maple brown? I saw one in bright sunlight yesterday and it actually looked better than I remember. Oh heck, I'll never decide.
      Blue ones are magic. @R-Pow3R3d
      2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

    15. #13
      Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      6,854
      Maple Brown looks pretty on the launch cars though it's hard to tell if that will be a color will look a little dated in a few years.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Hollis, NH
      Posts
      197
      I really wish they hadn't used the brown for the launch cars. I stopped by to show my wife (it would be her drive) the new V90CC, and she didn't like the swooped back end and thought the brown was terribly ugly. I'm pretty sure if the color had been something nicer, she wouldn't have been so negative. But hey, this will be a work in process with her.
      Present rides:
      13 Volvo XC70 T6 w/ Platinum, Climate, BLIS (wife's ride)
      16 Audi TT
      Gone but not forgotten: 1988 240DL, 1993 940, 1999 XC70, 2003 XC70, 2009 XC70

    17. #15
      I love brown cars. I love brown wagons most of all. But Maple Brown just doesn't quite do it for me, even though I badly want a brown car. There are some beautiful other color options like Osmium Grey or Mussel Blue that I think outshine the Maple Brown even while being fairly neutral.

    18. #16
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,644
      I think it's a really nice brown, and in the shade it's pretty dark, so not too (sh!t) brown, like the Java Brown XC60's can be. With that said, I prefer the Osmium Grey just slightly (and I'm typically not a gray scale car fan). Mussel or Denim Blue, or even an orange/copper hue would be the best for this car IMO.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    19. #17
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      5,459
      This is the third time I'm making this comment, not sure what happened to the last two:

      This color shows water spots terribly.
      Fairwell Tour: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Daily Driver: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

    20. #18
      I feel the same way. Saw the pictures and didn't think much but impressed in person. I ended up ordering the grey luxury package we'll see how it looks....

    21. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
      I feel the same way. Saw the pictures and didn't think much but impressed in person. I ended up ordering the grey luxury package we'll see how it looks....
      Congrats! I'm leaning towards luxury package but will miss the black wheel moldings. I actually like those a lot, especially on the lighter colors, but I probably want the lux items even more.

    22. #20
      Junior Member gsb4522's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Roaring Brook Twp, PA
      Posts
      29
      I ordered my 2018 in Maple Brown. I see too many grey cars and I love the pictures showing the maple brown v90. With the amber interior I think it will be sharp. Like it better than the bronze metallic it is replacing for 2018.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather (scheduled to arrive in port 6/22/17)

    23. #21
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      5,459
      Twilight Bronze is going away?
      Fairwell Tour: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Daily Driver: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

    24. #22
      Having made several trips to my dealer in recent weeks, I have had ample opportunity to eyeball the Maple Brown V90CC sitting in front of the display room. It looks great in the sunshine, but becomes a dull muddy brown when seen on a cloudy day and appears to be one big rain spot on a rainy day. I know my tastes well enough to anticipate that I would tire of that color after a short period of time if seeing it on a daily basis. After having had three different brown Volvos (Seashell Metallic V70, Twilight Bronze XC70, Seashell Metallic V60) I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that browns just don't wear well with me over the long run. I guess I am a slow learner. On a happier note, the nice thing about Mussel Blue is that it looks great both in bright sunlight and in the rain, albeit very different, very much like the Chameleon Blue of bygone years. IAE, I don't seem to tire of blues.
      Last edited by volvobuff; 04-03-2017 at 07:48 AM.
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

    25. #23
      I knew we'd find at least one vote for brown. At least it's a bit different, I'll give it that. Or it was until Volvo filled up all the dealerships with maple brown cc's. Just not sure I want another dark color after having had a dark blue car for the last 5 years. Gets tiring trying to keep the thing looking clean, and forget about dealing with swirls. Maybe I'll just throw in the towel and go white like my v70xc of many years ago. Easiest color to keep clean of any, and the CC looks sharp in white. This is harder than picking ties out in the morning. Then again, if dealers start hacking away at prices on the 2017 maple browns, I could see being persuaded.

    26. #24
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,644
      Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      I knew we'd find at least one vote for brown. At least it's a bit different, I'll give it that. Or it was until Volvo filled up all the dealerships with maple brown cc's. Just not sure I want another dark color after having had a dark blue car for the last 5 years. Gets tiring trying to keep the thing looking clean, and forget about dealing with swirls. Maybe I'll just throw in the towel and go white like my v70xc of many years ago. Easiest color to keep clean of any, and the CC looks sharp in white. This is harder than picking ties out in the morning. Then again, if dealers start hacking away at prices on the 2017 maple browns, I could see being persuaded.
      never black or white. life isn't, why should your car be. seriously, they are both cleaning nightmares.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    27. #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      never black or white. life isn't, why should your car be. seriously, they are both cleaning nightmares.
      I get the philosophical view, but really, I had two white cars in the past, and they always looked clean regardless of how dirty they really were. I completely disagree that white is hard to maintain.

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      Having made several trips to my dealer in recent weeks, I have had ample opportunity to eyeball the Maple Brown V90CC sitting in front of the display room. It looks great in the sunshine, but becomes a dull muddy brown when seen on a cloudy day and appears to be one big rain spot on a rainy day. I know my tastes well enough to anticipate that I would tire of that color after a short period of time if seeing it on a daily basis. After having had three different brown Volvos (Seashell Metallic V70, Twilight Bronze XC70, Seashell Metallic V60) I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that browns just don't wear well with me over the long run. I guess I am a slow learner. On a happier note, the nice thing about Mussel Blue is that it looks great both in bright sunlight and in the rain, albeit very different, very much like the Chameleon Blue of bygone years. IAE, I don't seem to tire of blues.
      Looks like no mussel blue if you want the luxury package. Wish those powered bolsters and perforated massaging seats weren't so damn comfortable or I'd happily forego the luxury package. Very limited colors for the luxury package even if you go OSD.

    29. #27
      I have Twilight Bronze on my V90 Cross Country and love it, especially on a sunny day. On a dull, gray and overcast day it's also quite nice. The main thing that worries me about the colour is that the only three people that have commented on the car whilst walking past have been quite a long way past 70years old....

    30. #28

      Maple Brown or bust

      Hey - new poster - longtime Volvo fan. Returning to the US after a few years abroad living in Sweden in the land of the longroof. Had to order a V90 - scheduled production in April and delivery in July. I have not yet seen the Maple Brown but have ordered it. Any negative feedback from anyone that has seen one live?

    31. #29
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      5,459
      Hi and welcome, Finpilot.

      If you don't mind a hard to maintain color that is usually very understated, it'll be fine.

      Water spots show easily. Dirty and light scratches don't show easily, but it doesn't sparkle as well in most lighting situations as it does in most of the photos I've seen.
      Fairwell Tour: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Daily Driver: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

    32. #30
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,644
      Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      I get the philosophical view, but really, I had two white cars in the past, and they always looked clean regardless of how dirty they really were. I completely disagree that white is hard to maintain.
      I've had 3 white cars (and a white motorcycle) and they clearly showed every last road tar spec, puddle splash, exhaust carbon, etc. I'm not talking viewed from 100 feet away, but say walking by in a parking lot. Sure, if you clean them regularly, non-issue. But there in-lies the rub (pun intended): because you (well not you, others in general) can clearly see every last spec of bug and road residue, so you feel obligated to friggin detail the car at every wash. A quick wash or run through the car wash would often leave obvious specs or residue on the finish. Maybe I'm more critical than most? Regardless, it's a completely different story with my rebel blue car, and prior silver and lighter blue metallic cars. My darker cars would hide all the dark specs but then show lighter dirt residue, not to mention water spots, streaks and swirl marks.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    33. #31
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      5,459
      I had a creme yellow Volvo, and I remember how much I hated the tar spots and bug guts on that car.

      I was always detailing it, it seemed.

      But hey, it DID always look clean.

      What I forgot until I looked at the For Sale photos was that road grit also scuffed the crap out of the front spoiler over the years.

      Last edited by matt1122; 04-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
      Fairwell Tour: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Daily Driver: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

    34. #32
      Yeah, I've had white cars and dark color cars. On balance, it's a lot easier to wipe dirt off a white car than it is to keep swirls out of dark paint. Dark cars show the slightest amount of dust, where white hides it until it's real dirt. Unless you're really careful with washing and waxing technique, it's really hard to keep a dark car looking good for more than a day. Silver and grey are probably the easiest, but I'm so sick of grey cars now that every other car seems to be some shade of grey or silver. It's amazing how monochromatic our cars have become. Kind of depressing actually.

    35. #33
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,644
      Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      Yeah, I've had white cars and dark color cars. On balance, it's a lot easier to wipe dirt off a white car than it is to keep swirls out of dark paint. Dark cars show the slightest amount of dust, where white hides it until it's real dirt. Unless you're really careful with washing and waxing technique, it's really hard to keep a dark car looking good for more than a day. Silver and grey are probably the easiest, but I'm so sick of grey cars now that every other car seems to be some shade of grey or silver. It's amazing how monochromatic our cars have become. Kind of depressing actually.
      I agree on the obsession with grey scale hues, but it seems Volvo is now making an effort to add more color variety to the line-up with reds, greens and lighter blues (mussel, denim). These new greens and blues do still have grey tones however (but look nice); baby steps. I'm really interested to see the new Fusion Red. My biggest gripe with Volvo is the lack of interior and exterior variety in the R-Design cars. As for keeping clean, I had a medium blue metallic car years ago, something like a Power Blue shade, and that thing never looked dirty. People thought I washed it every other day.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    36. #34
      Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      6,854
      My white wagon collects the most dirt/ dust on the tailgate - especially the bumper - the rest if the car will still look clean. That said, still love the white and agree that it hides swirls really well.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    37. #35
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,644
      Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I had a creme yellow Volvo, and I remember how much I hated the tar spots and bug guts on that car.

      I was always detailing it, it seemed.

      But hey, it DID always look clean.

      What I forgot until I looked at the For Sale photos was that road grit also scuffed the crap out of the front spoiler over the years.

      Nice T-5R Matt!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast