My coolant turned clear!!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My coolant turned clear!!!

Hey everyone,

Some jerk door dinged my car so hard that it left a deep gorge in my car. Long story short, I found out who did it and got my car in the shop to fix it. It was in the shop for 7 days. I always check my coolant at least once a week since I check my oil once a week, and before it was in the shop, the coolant was BLUE!!!

After getting it back from the shop and pulling off their lot, I stopped and checked the coolant and noticed that the coolant reservoir was filled with a clear liquid! I don't know what in the world happened....blue isn't anywhere near colorless in terms of hue, so....

Does anyone know why this happened??? I showed my neighbor whose a mechanic and he was as perplexed as I was...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Where was the damage? Maybe the repair required draining the radiator and they just filled it up with water?
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Clear coolant = water.

They drained it and probably forgot to fill it with some antifreeze.

Go to the store and buy some Zerex G-05 or the dealership stuff. Or go back to the shop and get them to un**** it.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are clear coolant for trackday use that are enviroment friendly and clear. Maybe they used that. Stick you finger in there and taste if its water or coolant..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppa View Post
      There are clear coolant for trackday use that are enviroment friendly and clear. Maybe they used that. Stick you finger in there and taste if its water or coolant..
      Taste? That's not a great idea...
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Wait, am I missing something? The OP brought the car in for body repair from a door ding. Why would a body shop touch the coolant?
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      You wont die to it if you just test a little with tip of your tongue to know if its sweet glygol or just plain water... simple way, you dont have to drink it.

It's still poison...

Certain brands do go clear over time. This was a common occurrence in Audi/VW for quite a few years. Just test the concentration with a simple hydrometer & you'll have your answer. Switch brands if you don't like it. I've never seen the factory Volvo stuff do it.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

It's still poison...
      Bah, it'll put hair on your chest. Suck it up, GRat.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Bah, it'll put hair on your chest. Suck it up, GRat.
      That's what hard liquor is for!

That same somebody who dinged your door also popped your hood and sabotaged your engine

That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      That same somebody who dinged your door also popped your hood and sabotaged your engine

For the lols and to make work for themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      Where was the damage? Maybe the repair required draining the radiator and they just filled it up with water?
      I thought the same thing. But the damage was a door ding dent on my passenger front door it wouldn't make sense for them to fully flush my coolant and replace with water...would it?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Clear coolant = water.

They drained it and probably forgot to fill it with some antifreeze.

Go to the store and buy some Zerex G-05 or the dealership stuff. Or go back to the shop and get them to un**** it.

Why though (regarding them draining it)? I only had a passenger door door ding fixed...nothing in the itemized deductions says anything about them touching my cooling system. I even called and spoke to the manager and he said he checked my file and nothing but the door ding was touched

I just tasted it and it was slightly sweet? But not very

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      Certain brands do go clear over time. This was a common occurrence in Audi/VW for quite a few years. Just test the concentration with a simple hydrometer & you'll have your answer. Switch brands if you don't like it. I've never seen the factory Volvo stuff do it.
      I did a full coolant flush about 5k miles ago though I'll go get one of those and test it though because this is real frustrating haha.

For the lols and to make work for themselves!
      For fun? ? they didn't get any money for it

Quote Originally Posted by chocolater2 View Post
      That's the idea. Cause a problem for them to fix and make money.

That's the idea. Cause a problem for them to fix and make money.
      Well these ****s are going to get an earful from me. Not only is some of the paint surrounding the area ****ed up, but the coolant now has some where sediment in the bottom.

Ugggghhhh :'(

Well these ****s are going to get an earful from me. Not only is some of the paint surrounding the area ****ed up, but the coolant now has some where sediment in the bottom.

Ugggghhhh :'(
      I'd probably do a full coolant flush and replace with OEM coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water and call it a day. I would not trust those hacks to make it right.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

...or have your girlfriend's dog or cat taste it, come back 1/2 hour to see if the 4-legged friend went belly up, of not then it is definitely water.

Call them and ask...
      I wouldn't be surprised that for some access reason, if they did paint work, they had to flush the coolant system and refilled it with their own choice. We don't know where you live but if it's anywhere near freezing climate calling them may not be a bod idea to make sure it is anti freeze coolant.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

I stand corrected, there are multipe clear coolants both ethylene and propylene glycols. In the gallon for about $44 for non diluted. interesting. Howeve the colors are supposed to be present to indicate which formulation it is based on the manufacturer's specs, however, there is no standard colorization between one company's orange and another's orange, so there is no standard by color, they are entirely done by manufacturer.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 03-31-2017 at 06:55 PM.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

I find no reason to do a coolant flush. Stop in any auto shop and have them put a drop of fluid on the refractor. My old s40 had yellow/clear fluid and it was a CPO from the dealer. No matter what panel you're painting it doesn't require removing any part of the cooling system. Unless there was structural damage that the body shop was repairing, there's no logical explanation.

2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

No matter what panel you're painting it doesn't require removing any part of the cooling system. Unless there was structural damage that the body shop was repairing, there's no logical explanation.
      It may not have been just painting they wanted to remove the panel, but rather to have easier access to fix the metal, sometime some shops like to remove certain panels, sometime the insurance makes them replace the panels to satisfy customer satisfaction in the end result, and more often then not they don't know how to take things apart so they start removing things just to figure it out. Point is, it's all over the place with body shops, And I've had a few experience to know there is no pattern on how they operate. Calling the shop is the best way to answer that simple question of "did you change the coolant?", logical explanation or not . . .
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Actually I can think of a scenario. Body shop needed access to pass side fender so went to remove the coolant overflow tank. In doing so they undid the hoses and lost a ton of fluid. Then they either refilled the res with whatever they had or they completely drained the system to replace the fluid because they didn't want to mix fluid. Plausible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Actually I can think of a scenario. Body shop needed access to pass side fender so went to remove the coolant overflow tank. In doing so they undid the hoses and lost a ton of fluid. Then they either refilled the res with whatever they had or they completely drained the system to replace the fluid because they didn't want to mix fluid. Plausible?

Is my radiator the only one that when at temp has a large amount of coolant flowing through one of the two attached lines in the front of the overflow reservoir? It would have thoroughly mixed by now if they had only replaced the fluid in the reservoir it would have just been a lighter tinted color. But to go completely clear either they replaced it all with clear stuff or dumped it all and replaced it with pure water.

Why all the speculation? $3 at Auto Zone

2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

I like you.

how in the world does this works?

because that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post

Is my radiator the only one that when at temp has a large amount of coolant flowing through one of the two attached lines in the front of the overflow reservoir? It would have thoroughly mixed by now if they had only replaced the fluid in the reservoir it would have just been a lighter tinted color. But to go completely clear either they replaced it all with clear stuff or dumped it all and replaced it with pure water.

exactly!!!

I ended up buying one (with the balls that float) and two balls ended up floating.

I ended up buying one (with the balls that float) and two balls ended up floating.
      "AND WHEN YOU'RE DOWN HERE WITH ME, YOU'LL FLOAT TOO"

Really though, what does that mean?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast