Remove seatbelt warning chime
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Remove seatbelt warning chime

Hi all,
      I live on a dirt road so the first and last 5 minutes of my journey are at low speed so I dont want to wear my seatbelt -- I clip it on when I arrive at the tar road. Is there any way to disable the annoying seatbelt warning chime ? It really is over the top !

I've heard about removing a blue relay under the steering column but , while I can see lots of stuff under there - no blue relays. I also dont have access to a "VIDA".

Many thanks,
      Dean.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

you can buy this from china, just plug in in when you are not wearing seat belt.

I like the "Do Not Use" warning on it, lol!!

VIDA would take care of that. But the item shown above is a good solution as well. Just hope nothing happens when it's in use.
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Haha, I've never seen a product before with a label "do not use".
      Yes I've seen those seatbelt faker things, but I dont want to have to fiddle around with plugging and unplugging twice every trip - I'd rather just short out the wires in the seatbelt mechanism, but still better than that would be to just get rid of the sound that is bothering me and leave everything else working as is...
      You dont know where the speaker is ? or anything more about the relay that you can supposedly just remove to stop the warning chimes ?

Thanks,
      Dean.

The speaker is usually in the relay itself. The biggest clue will be holes or slots in the relay, for the sound to escape. I used to do this on all my older Volvos, where I pull the relay, open it up, then just clip one of the wires to the piezo speaker and reassemble.

I'd be afraid to do it on a P2 car for fear that it will detect the malfunction and throw a code.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Pure Turbos Hybrid, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

The other question is, will disabling it affect the SRS circuit or module with any codes?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Boy, even at low speed.....if something ever were to happen I don't think I want an airbag to the face with no belt. If the car is moving the belt really should be on, even at low speed. Even a 15 MPH impact can cause a lot of physical harm to your body with no belt on. It's not a risk I would take, but there are options like the above "fake clip" that would be an easy solution. As long as you are willing to accept the risk and realize it's still pretty great to not have a belt on, even at low speed. Plenty of people hurt in crashes at a walking pace!

Thanks LloydDobler , thats excellent info - I'll look around for the holey relay and either disable the speaker inside, or just glue up the holes to make it real quiet. That way nothing else can be be affected, which is what I prefer.
      Will let you know ...

OK guys I've sorted it out : The buzzer that make the chiming sound actually sit on the dash instrument panel. I removed the dash instrument panel from the car and used contact glue to block up the little hole - now it makes only the quietest little buzzing sound. Happy Volvo driver
      I took a picture - how do I add it to the post (it seems you can only add images from a URL?) I'd like to help others with the same dilemma !

I did have one little problem though - with the dash panel out the electric windows & sunroof stopped working, and it started to rain so I drove the car back into the garage, now the SRS error message comes up all the time. Is there an easy way to remove this ?

Not sure why the windows or sunroof would stop working. Did you forget to reconnect anything that you disconnected? As for the SRS error code, VIDA and a DiCE unit is probably about the only way you'll get that resolved, that or the dealership...

Late to the dance here but here's what I did before I had Vida/dice.Turn the key on to position 2.Quickly latch and release it 10 times in less than 30 seconds.Remove the key.Insert the key back in and start the engine.WALA!! No more seatbelt chime.This works on my P2 07 S60

No, I meant that with the dash removed the electric windows & sunroof didnt work, after I put it back in everything is fine...
      Is there not an easy way to reset the SRS error message ? a combo of button presses or a sequence of pulses on the diagnostics plug (like on the supra) ? There are few volvo owners in south africa so no access to vida/etc ...

Chefricky - If I'd known that a couple of weeks ago it would have saved me endless effort Thanks anyway !

Patience is a virtue.
      New website >>> http://www.yother.com

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements