Trailer module wiring
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Trailer module wiring

Hi guys! I just bought the trailer module and 7 pin wiring from the dealer and expected to simply hook this up and code the module with VIDA. Issue is I am not finding the factory wiring that goes from the vehicle harness to the trailer module. I expected it to be laying in the drivers side cargo fuse box area. Can anyone shed some light on this - pictures, details? This is on a 2016 XC60 so I expected the car to already be pre-wired... Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Driver side cargo fuse box area is correct. Normally, the connector would be wrapped in a grey, foam type material in that vicinity.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      Driver side cargo fuse box area is correct. Normally, the connector would be wrapped in a grey, foam type material in that vicinity.
      Thank you! Found it. I now have the full Volvo factory wiring hooked up.

Here's the instructions:
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-.../2016/3.0%20T6

Here's the parts I bought for my 2016 XC60:
      1. Trailer module: Part # 31407107 Cost: $137.93
      2. Trailer wiring (between module and trailer - 4/7 Pin) - Part # 31346065 Cost: $91.35
      3. Software to enable the trailer module and turn on vehicle's trailer stability assist (through VIDA): 4/7 Pin Application USA Part # 31350004 Cost: 28.68
      4. 3-Day Subscription to VIDA (online version): $72.00

Notes:
      Physical installation was a breeze once I got the tip on where to find the wiring (it was all taped up), be sure to hook up the ground included with the trailer wiring because the module uses it as a ground to power itself up.
      Programming the module with VIDA was definitely more difficult than it should have been. When you read out the vehicle VIDA won't find the module. It will display as grayed out - don't worry it doesn't mean it isn't hooked up. You have to go into the parts section of VIDA and order the 31350004 application and load it on the vehicle. Once you load it, and re-read the vehicle the module will display green. Don't do what I did by accident and order the TRM reload software since it was like $68, and not necessary. You just need to get the 4/7 application and it will code the entire module.

I haven't actually installed the hitch yet, but I have a draw-tite/hidden hitch from e-trailer sitting in my garage waiting for me to get time to install it. My plan is to use the hitch for my Yakima dual bike rack. My wife and I were considering buying a lightweight travel trailer, but due to the difficulty in finding a quality model that meets our wants, we will likely buy a bigger 1/2 ton truck or larger SUV to handle that task. Knowing I have the wiring ready to go, though, is good peace of mind should I ever want to occasionally pull a utility trailer that requires the 7 pin connector for trailer brakes. This is something that the usual kits with the 4 way flat connector won't do. I also bought the Prodigy RF brake controller and anti-sway/equalizer weight distribution hitch that I'll need to decide whether to use or sell.

Here are some pictures:

These are the two wires that were taped up in foam within the drivers side cargo fuse box area.
      The 2nd photo is after I untaped the bundle from the harness.
      I missed them originally since they were taped tightly to the wiring harness that goes to the fuse box:

Here's where the included 40 amp fuse goes:

Here's the installation of the module before I hooked up the final trailer cable. You'll have the cut the foam to separate the two cables. When this is installed, the cables are a pretty tight fit, so be careful not to allow too much stress on the wires.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-02-2017 at 10:21 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for posting. I may be starting this project as well as we are starting to look for a lightweight trailer. I already installed the hitch last year for the bike rack. I need to make sure I have the right kind of hitch.

If you don't mind my asking, which trailers did you look at?
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Trailer module wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      If you don't mind my asking, which trailers did you look at?
      We were really focusing on staying under 3500 lbs and 350 of tongue weight. It was tough to do this but we did find a few... We found the Forest River R-Pod 180, Kz Escape, Kz Spree 200s, Coachman Apex Nano, Lance 1575, Sonic Light 167 VMS.

Hope this might help!

Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-03-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Great post! So you were able to get a 3 day sub. and flash it with a clone dice?
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Great post! So you were able to get a 3 day sub. and flash it with a clone dice?
      Yes.

Interesting.....thats nice to know!
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements