Center stop lamp broke - need help replacing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Center stop lamp broke - need help replacing

Crazy thing- I was backing up in a garage- camera did not show it: a pipe located at just the right height to damage my center stop lamp. The grinding/breaking noise was so loud I stopped immediately. Only saw that damn pipe when I was out of the car. Luckily it did not scrape the spoiler, and luckily I stopped quickly enough so it only broke the red bezel, but not the LED lamps.

I looked for parts online and can not find the number for the 2017. Did find the 2016 one and waiting for vendor to tell me if it is the same part. Also, the part does not say if it is the whole assembly, with the lamps, or just the bezel.

Either way, I will have to replace it. Has anyone done so by themselves? Have found some old threads where people said it was not trivial. Any recommendations? Give it to the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Foosy View Post
      Crazy thing- I was backing up in a garage- camera did not show it: a pipe located at just the right height to damage my center stop lamp. The grinding/breaking noise was so loud I stopped immediately. Only saw that damn pipe when I was out of the car. Luckily it did not scrape the spoiler, and luckily I stopped quickly enough so it only broke the red bezel, but not the LED lamps.

I looked for parts online and can not find the number for the 2017. Did find the 2016 one and waiting for vendor to tell me if it is the same part. Also, the part does not say if it is the whole assembly, with the lamps, or just the bezel.

Either way, I will have to replace it. Has anyone done so by themselves? Have found some old threads where people said it was not trivial. Any recommendations? Give it to the dealer?
      http://www.vcoa.org/forum/22-XC60-20...rd-brake-light

http://s913.photobucket.com/user/gdi...20light%20swap

Relatively trivial. Middle screw is fiddly. I did to to slightly re center mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Finally took care of this. I am putting all my notes and photos here for the benefit of others who may run into the same issue.

First - this is how my car looked:

I ordered the part here:http://www.volvopartssource.com/p/Vo.../31467107.html

Note part # is: 3146707. It is not listed as matching 2017 models, but it does.

First thing is to open the the trunk. You will see 2 boots, one on each side. The third is not on the same plane, it is just underneath the plastic cover, above the electrical conduit:

The boots come easily off by pulling, and reveal nuts that have to be released. You will need to use a socket wrench with a 10mm socket and a 1/4" adapter.

Before removing the nuts, take a good look to see how much screw is showing beyond the nuts. At least where you can, on the two sides. The reason this is important is because when remounting, the ratcheting feedback is not a good indication to how much more is needed. More on this later...

When removing the nuts, the problem is that they can easily fall in the cavity between the body and the plastic molding. I had ordered spare nuts, but did not want to leave any to rattle there if they fell... and one out of 3 did manage to fall inside... I removed it with long bent-nose pliers.

Afterwards I nudged the lamp and slightly pulled it to reveal the connector:

Push on the connector clip to release the connector.
      That's it- old stop-lamp is out.

Now reverse the process to put the new one in. Since I did not want the nuts to fall inside when I mounted them, I used double-sided tape to secure them to the socket. It is not permanent, and provided enough of a hold to allow easy working:

For the two exterior nuts, I used a screwdriver connected to the socket.
      The important thing is to not screw them tightly, as it is the center nut that is pulling the lamp towards the body.
      Next was the finicky center nut. Had to use a ratchet to access it. The problem was that it was not ratcheting, and since there is no visibility, I couldn't tell if it was because the socket and nut had not reached the screw or because there was not enough torque grip. Best would have been to start the nut by hand-tightening it, but it was not accessible.
      I tried using the pliers to help in the following manner:

But then I realized that I could hand tighten by using a cog wheel- which up until today, I never knew what it served for:

That blue cog, allows you to manually turn the socket and start the action until you get enough grip. Note that I also used electrical tape to bind the socket adapter with the socket. This way, the socket would not fall in that cavity.

Tighten that center nut, then the other two. Note that all nuts are self-locking, so they create a resistance and it is hard to know how much to tighten them. Also, you are tightening against a rubber grommet on the other side, so you don't want to overdo it. This is where it comes handy to visually check how much screw is showing. For the center nut, all you will be able to do is feel it to gauge the size of the screw protruding beyond the nut.

Total time for work: about 15 minutes. 30 minutes including getting all the tools ready and taking pictures.
      Interestingly, I called the Volvo dealer, and they said that this work according to the book is close to 2 hours (1:50) and they wanted more than $200 to replace the stop-lamp ....
      Last edited by Foosy; 04-10-2017 at 11:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, yeah, good thing that pipe was small enough to do no other damage.

Thanks for the write up!
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements