Help Diagnosing an '03 XC70
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Help Diagnosing an '03 XC70

I'm looking at a 2003 XC70 w/168K that's in good condition (except an engine issue) and is dirt cheap. I've no experience with the 5 cylinder engine, but can fix things if it's reasonable... anyone got a clue as to what these symptoms may point to? Anything obvious?

This is what it's doing : a loud intermittent ratting coming from top end of engine around the driver side of the valve cover. It sometimes starts right up and idles smooth. Sometimes takes extended cranking to start. Exhaust smokes after about 30 seconds of running. Engine does not run hot, oil pressure is good, no water contamination in oil. Rattling goes away when the engine is revved. There is a check engine light and it flashes sometimes but does not give a code on the sellers scanner. It runs and drives but...

Idler? Valve adjustment? Lifters? Too much oil? ideas?

Doug C

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That sounds like a misfire or a trashed engine mount or exhaust... Do a compression check for the flashing CEL because that's the sign of a really really bad misfire... The valves never need adjustment. If you've never taken apart a whiteblock it's an interesting experience... Need the tools to set the CVVT properly or you will destroy the engine.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

I'd start with pulling codes.

An exhaust manifold leak can sound like rattling.

What colour is the smoke? If it's oil it could be a blown turbo.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Doug C, where are you? There may be someone around with a VIDA who can pull the actual codes. Volvos are mostly "secret" codes that off-the-shelf OBDII scanners will not be able to pull.
      Engineer, Cyclist, Pilot, Geek
      eric(dot)hidle(at)gmail
      2001 V70 X/C, 2005 XC90 T6, 2002 V70

Quote Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
      ideas?
      Run

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements