04 XC70 2.5T: WanderWagen, Pt. 2?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

04 XC70 2.5T: WanderWagen, Pt. 2?

Not settled on the name, think that moniker may be a bit cursed...Anywho, here goes project thread #2.

Recently purchased a 2004 Black Stone/Oak Tan XC70 2.5T 5 spd auto. Carfax/Autochek'd 3 owned vehicle (2 family members 03-13), 182k miles, dealer serviced by Fort Washington Volvo and Bryn Mawr Volvo. Very clean car for the mileage, and a good deal for $3900 with 3mo/3*** warranty. Plans are daily driver duty. No real mods outside of safety related or common failure items with better than OE options or what I have on hand that will transfer over from the 850.

So far as I can tell, it came optioned with bi xenon (which I'm a bit "meh" about, but more on that in a minute), auto dim mirror, privacy glass, 12v cargo area plug, and a really sweet, amazingly awesome expired credit card from the former owner (the things people leave in their cars... ) Still discovering things little by little.

First impressions in 150 miles of driving (mostly highway): Gas mileage is on par with the 850, slightly better. But I feel I can break 30mpg in this car easier than the 850. Comfort wise, the seats are great. Very plush and I feel like I'm driving a La-Z-boy. Long trips are going to be enjoyable in this car for certain. That being said, it will take some getting used to the ergonomics of the XC. I feel a bit cramped under the dash at 6'2", even with the wheel up/back all the way and the seat down/back all the way.

The brakes aren't terrible, but could be better/have more bite.

Power we won't talk about (see the original WanderWagon build in my signature). The XC does have a bit too much turbo lag for my tastes, I may have to see if I can change the throttle response a bit and tweak boost pressure. Perhaps a slightly larger turbo in the future...yea, here we go again...

Ride is nice and soft as well. Handling, a bit floaty and boat like. But again, that will take some adaptation considering I've been riding around on koni yellow/ipd's for a year Also going to take some adjustments to find the back end of the car again in reverse. "Hey look! Its a widebody P80 with a lift kit!"

But the seats....Oh man those seats. I fully understand what everyone says about P2 seats...

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled build thread in progress"

This particular XC70 will need a PCV system in the near future. Judging by the carfax, it will also need a timing belt job. Rotors and pads will survive another 6-8 months I suspect. Tires could be better but have another year on them (snows are in the future on spare wheels). Plans are to do the trans flush and angle gear first up, along with standard new car purchase items (Stage 0), then schedule for timing belt and PCV. From what I can tell these are the major "red alert red alert! all hands to battle stations!" items needing immediate attention.

There is an issue that will need addressed relating to the geartronic manual mode when angle gear is serviced. I can't seem to get the shift lever to engage in manual and stay. When trying it takes quite a bit of effort to even get it to move left and the clunk from the transmission is nothing short of unsettling.

One more thing I have noticed (that may or may not be related to the manual mode issue) is that on low speed, 95% lock left turns I hear a tapping/clacking noise. Definitely metallic. Kind of crunchy (like me at times ). Sounds to be coming from either the driveshaft area or inner cv joint. The front end will get a thorough shakedown at the same time as the AWD system.

From there the car does show its age in minor annoyances. The sunroof drains need cleaned, found it dripping down thru the overhead console. I suspect this caused my phantom opening/closing issue (wet wiring to the switch). I also need to pull the roof glass to replace the broken plastic sunshade clips.

The factory stereo, while sounding good, basically is a fragged piece of plastic garbage. The cd player doesn't work, and the stereo constantly jumps to "CD Error" message. Volume up will sometimes turn the volume up, but more often than not turns it down or does nothing at all. And forget about programming stations! This unit programs 1 station in ALL of the presets lol It'll be replaced with an ebay dual din Android 6.0 units (nav/bt/wifi/4g/dvd/kitchen sink...)

...Thank Bob for warranties...

...Stay tuned, more to come
      Last edited by 95WanderWagen; 04-08-2017 at 05:37 PM.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Project: WanderWagen Reborn

If only Volvo would have included a check wallet light in the cluster...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Uhhh the tbelt is like 3 years overdue dude if it hasn't been done. And XCs don't have any turbo lag lol they make peak torque from 1650RPM. The geartronic shifting mode has nothing to do with the transmission... it's a little plastic piece in the shifter base that breaks. Geartronic is just 2 switches in the shifter that ask the TCM to shift. Buy VIDA!!! You will regret it if you don't!
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

If you would like to drop by one day, I can tell you what you need
      I also can do most of what you need at a great price as long as you can leave it with me for a couple of days.

You can also drive my 07 and feel what a perfect driving V70 feels like, sounds as if you have some issues and you need some maintenance right now!
      All these radios fail at some point, I can probably find you a used one at a very good price, or upgrade you to a Dolby HU803 if one is available.
      When you set the hidden EQ menu a 2004 radio and if your speakers are in good shape, even these standard radios are quite decent.

(It's BRAKES not breaks, and there was/is NO Bryn Mawr Volvo. Perhaps it was Keystone Volvo in Berwyn, if so I can get all the records on it from them).
      If interested, I live in Devon,19333

Here is the hidden radio menu:

Hidden Equalizer

With the radio switched off, press and hold down [SOURCE], press [Volume] to power
      on the radio, and continue to hold down [SOURCE] for at least 5 seconds.
      􀂃 Press [SOURCE] to select a function
      􀂃 Turn [SOURCE] to adjust value

Function Description

FRONT Low1 3 Adjusts the very low frequencies in the front. Valid values
      are from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 4.
      FRONT Low2 3 Adjusts the low frequencies in the front. Valid values are
      from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 4.
      FRONT Mid 3 Adjusts the mid frequencies in the front. Valid values are
      from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 6.
      FRONT High 3 Adjusts the high frequencies in the front. Valid values are
      REAR Low 3 Adjusts the low frequencies in the back. Valid values are
      REAR Mid 3 Adjusts the mid frequencies in the back. Valid values are
      from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 0.
      REAR High 3 Adjusts the high frequencies in the back. Valid values are
      from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 6.
      Last edited by JRL; 04-08-2017 at 09:31 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

lol, not sure what happened with the breaks/brakes thing... 12:49 am happened I suspect

I'll definitely keep that in mind JRL, really interested to see how the 07 handles in comparison. It very well could be Keystone in Berwin, but carfax says bryn mawr for some reason...I'll dig the paperwork out today and take another look.

She definitely ha s a few issues to address. It sat parked from 2/17 until recently when the dealership bought it from Manheim in Philly. I did notice first thing that the engine kind of sounds like a sewing machine (sounds like lifters) and I suspect an oil change will help that. We'll see on that.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Lifters in that car are solid unlike an 850... they are a lot quieter on startup and running than an 850...
      Exponents kill
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Lifters in that car are solid unlike an 850... they are a lot quieter on startup and running than an 850...
      Maybe its just the 2.5 T then...Dunno. My experience is limited to 850-Land, this is my first P2...Although I am lead to believe that the 2.5 lpt isn't much different than the 2.3 hpt in design...

It sounds like a pissed off sewing machine on steroids ticking in the top end.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

The 2.3 N block in an 850 differs significantly from the RN in a 2.5t... The 2.5t has CVVT, solid lifters, lighter internals, it's bored, stroked, has a better flowing head, different timing tensioner, etc... Lots of changes between those engines.
      Exponents kill

Quote Originally Posted by 95WanderWagen View Post
      lol, not sure what happened with the breaks/brakes thing... 12:49 am happened I suspect

I'll definitely keep that in mind JRL, really interested to see how the 07 handles in comparison. It very well could be Keystone in Berwin, but carfax says bryn mawr for some reason...I'll dig the paperwork out today and take another look.

She definitely ha s a few issues to address. It sat parked from 2/17 until recently when the dealership bought it from Manheim in Philly. I did notice first thing that the engine kind of sounds like a sewing machine (sounds like lifters) and I suspect an oil change will help that. We'll see on that.
      You're excused! (just don't do it again and NEVER write ALOT!)
      You can't be more than 30 minutes from me, maybe closer. Drive over anytime, just email me first for address and phone number, ( I do not text and my AOL email is in my signature).
      Most days (unless I have a Dr appt.) are fine... anytime after 11 AM to 5-6 PM is good for me. ( It Takes me a long time to get going these days).

The 2.5T is a lovely engine. Buy a tune and it's terrific for around town driving. TONS of low to mid range torque, mine has a Polestar tune, about 240 hp and the same amount of torque, all between 2000 to 4200 RPM. stock it gives it up after 4800, that is the biggest difference from a 2.5T and a 2.3T. Low end vs high end power. 2.3 T5 is a great road engine, the 2.5T is great all around... but a better "city" engine. Small turbo and injectors vs. a much bigger turbo and injectors.

All this is moot. You need to get your XC to stage 0 first and that will take some time and a fair amount of money (parts). Labor depends on who does it. You do it and it's parts, dealer does it and you're broke. Someone like me does it and you spend a little money and get the same work as a good dealer, maybe more thorough...

If you do have Xenons, I can adjust them and your fogs up so your low beams will be great. Not much I can do with the abysmal high beams

Where do you live. You can't live in both counties and Chester/Berks combined takes up one hell of a lot of real estate!
      Last edited by JRL; 04-08-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Lol, you may have to dig out your computer glasses then, I tend to go into great detail

I'm up in Kutztown area most days JRL. I'd say 45 min to 1 hour away from Devon, depending on traffic.

Stage 0 I'll do myself (what I can). I can spend a weekend draining/filling fluids and doing plugs/wires/filters. Everything else should fall under the warranty plan that comes with the car. I do like the 2.5T, just seems to take a few seconds to put the power to the ground in comparison to what I've been running. The go pedal isn't an on off switch anymore like the 850 was/is with the 16T. I wouldn't mind having a different tune on this car to give it a bit more pep. There's definitely room for improvement and from what I can tell really no difference from the other 2.5T of the era outside of the tuning.

As far as the bi xenons go, the low beams are phenominal. Its the hi beams I'm kind of "meh" on. They are ok, but the cutoff is so sharp that I feel I need a set of fogs to cover the area directly in front of the car. The output could be much better considering they are HID. The engineer in me loves the unique design (rather than a shutter it angles the reflector up. Audi (?) did something similar iirc where they changed the focal point by moving the reflector forward and backwards). I'm no stranger to automotive lighting (tied in with the guys from Susquehanna Motorsports up here in Fleetwood).

Let me see how she does on the trip to New England next week, get all the parts from the 850 delivered, and when I get back we'll put something together one afternoon. I'll buy lunch and bring coffee. Really do want to get it hooked up to VIDA/Dice asap so I know where to go from there (its on my list of "things to buy").
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

I always have a pot of my special coffee on the burner so that's not necessary but I will be happy to take you up on the lunch offer.
      I have to stop drinking so much coffee anyway, Dr's orders.

45 minutes sounds about right.
      I'm about 4 minutes (2.2 miles) from the end of Rt.422 when it meets Rt.202 in KOP

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      I always have a pot of my special coffee on the burner so that's not necessary but I will be happy to take you up on the lunch offer.
      I have to stop drinking so much coffee anyway, Dr's orders.

45 minutes sounds about right.
      I'm about 4 minutes (2.2 miles) from the end of Rt.422 when it meets Rt.202 in KOP
      Yup, 45 min or so. I'd probably come in thru Elverson on 23 or 401, come down thru main line and avoid all that construction around Pottstown.

Special coffee eh? I'll take your word for it I'll shoot you a PM when I get all settled in. Car is still at the lot waiting on title to come in from Manheim. In the meantime I can give you the VIN if you want to see about checking with Keystone on service records?
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Pics:

PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Its official. The XC comes home with me tomorrow, and the part out on the WW1 begins Thursday/Friday. Once thats finished and the 850 is gone, the shenanigans with WW2 begin

Can't wait! Got a lot ahead of me, but she'll get her workout for sure while doing Stage 0.

On a side note, I got to detail/drive an 04 S60 2.5T AWD today. Gotta say, if it weren't for my hard on for wagons, I'd buy the S60. Had working geartronic too, and I got to play with that a bit. Looks like that'll be the first thing on top of my XC70 "minor annoyances that can wait til after Stage 0" list.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

regarding the sewing machine noise, injectors seem to be noisy on all of these things.
      I thought ours had top end noise, unplug an injector, noise changes.

here's the xemodex video that shows an ECM runing the fuel management with no motor.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjGSwKr80o

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      regarding the sewing machine noise, injectors seem to be noisy on all of these things.
      I thought ours had top end noise, unplug an injector, noise changes.

here's the xemodex video that shows an ECM runing the fuel management with no motor.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjGSwKr80o
      Oddly enough the clackity clack has quieted down a bit. Either that or I'm becoming attuned to it...

So now that she's finally home and had her first wash, its time to make a list of things to do.

First things first, maintenance:

Stage 0

-plugs,
      -wires,
      -filters,
      -oil change,
      -tb cleaning
      -thermostat

Trans drain and fill 3x
      Angle gear oil
      shop time to diagnose clunking when going into drive
      Timing belt, PCV, silicone vacuum hoses
      clean sunroof vents

Secondary items:

install supertone horns from WW1
      install roof crossbars from WW1
      swap batteries (WW1 had a new one put in Dec.)
      replace e brake boot
      fix geartronic function
      replace radio
      clay bar, mid/fine grit compound, polish, wax
      tape/plastidip grill
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

May I suggest a few more items for consideration?
      Check brake components and flush brake fluid. Our '04 XC-70 had cracked brake hoses one month after Pa inspection by prior owner.
      Change AOC Haldex fluid. Use only Volvo fluid ~ $21 for one liter. Filter and pump changing/cleaning requires driveshaft removal.
      Change rear differential fluid.
      Check and probably replace parking brake shoes as they delaminate and can lock up rear wheel causing much damage.

Lots of good suggestions here. I'll add a few things that I would look at in that mileage range. 1. Pcv system. 2. Upper spring seats. 3. Lower control arm bushings. 4. Bevel gear coupler play.
      Plugs are a good idea, no wires to change, or distributor cap, nice step up from the 850. All the usual fluid checks and changes, and looking at the front brake hoses would also be wise. Flex them near the caliper, if they are cracked you won't be able to miss it. The P2s are great cars, and if you take care of them they will last a really long time, enjoy the new purchase!

gibbons flush the trans.

easier than drain and fill and more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
      May I suggest a few more items for consideration?
      Check brake components and flush brake fluid. Our '04 XC-70 had cracked brake hoses one month after Pa inspection by prior owner.
      Change AOC Haldex fluid. Use only Volvo fluid ~ $21 for one liter. Filter and pump changing/cleaning requires driveshaft removal.
      Change rear differential fluid.
      Check and probably replace parking brake shoes as they delaminate and can lock up rear wheel causing much damage.
      Figured on the AOC/rear diff as well with the trans service. That stuff has moved to top of the list as well, the clunking when first shifting into drive is now every time I shift into drive. Need to inspect the lower torque strut and see how it looks. Upper is good. Brakes are also on my list of to do things. I'll inspect them at least and come fall I'll probably do Powerstop Z23 kits up front and in the rear. Brake lines will be replaced with Stoptech SS braided lines as well (once and done replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by hootie6828 View Post
      Lots of good suggestions here. I'll add a few things that I would look at in that mileage range. 1. Pcv system. 2. Upper spring seats. 3. Lower control arm bushings. 4. Bevel gear coupler play.
      Plugs are a good idea, no wires to change, or distributor cap, nice step up from the 850. All the usual fluid checks and changes, and looking at the front brake hoses would also be wise. Flex them near the caliper, if they are cracked you won't be able to miss it. The P2s are great cars, and if you take care of them they will last a really long time, enjoy the new purchase!
      PCV system is on top of my list. Was the one thing I was able to use against the dealership in negotiation. Glove test works wonders as proof They paid for 3 mo/3k mile 3 star warranty for me with option to extend. I have a feeling I'll be putting it to good use on other issues.

Good call on the LCA bushings. I'd like to install Whiteline or equivalent ones, but I've read mixed reviews on poly wearing out just as quick as stock and haven't decided yet. Bevel gear coupler will be checked when I get the clunking looked at. Have a feeling that may be the potential culprit (if not lower torque mount bushings).

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      gibbons flush the trans.

easier than drain and fill and more complete.
      Might be a bit more than I'm willing to tackle, outside of supplying fluids Probably have the mechanic handle this.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

it really is easy
      http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...-other-goodies!
      you're going to make a bit of mess, but anyone can handle it.

I'll see how I feel about it next week, may opt to tackle it.

Update for today, the XC got her first "real" repair. Installed the Proparts poly lower torque mount from the 850, nice to know there is a bit of interchange between p80 and P2 Made some difference in the clunk. The rear bushing in the factory mount was non existant While I was in there I got to view all the wonderful oil soaked surfaces...PCV system is on top of the list again...Took the compressor to the front drains on the sunroof, we'll see if it still leaks.

Side note on the LTM install: For those of you that say its possible and a piece of cake to install without jacking up the car have inhaled too many exhaust fumes Sure, its possible, but a real pain in the backside

Next on the list, Supertone horn install. Not looking forward to pulling the front bumper for this job...Can it be done by just removing the grill? I can already see I'll have to fashion a couple mounting tabs to slide into factory location, wiring I'm not concerned about (I made patch cables for the 850 that should plug right into the pins on the factory plug).
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

I opted to do drain/fill to the transmission using Mobil 3309 (sourced from Amazon) due to time and car available constraints. Takes about 3.5 quarts. A little more will drain with the drivers side lifted relative to the left side. Each time, the fluid was dark as it was mixed with the remaining fluid. Six changes and 40,000 miles later, the transmission shifts perfect and the fluid is a nice red. No harder than changing the engine oil. Fill only through the dipstick tube.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements