Wash, polish, and wax question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Wash, polish, and wax question

Looking at tackling the first heavy duty exterior care of the new-to-me S60. Yesterday I took care of applying Cromax touch up paint to numerous dings and scratches (the driver's side panels look like they went thru their very own hail storm- this car started out in NYC, so you can imagine...)

OK, so the color is the Titanium Gray Pearl Metallic. How long until I can wash it? Also, some hazing, so it needs to be hit with some cutting/polishing compound: I have Meguiar's SwirlX and/or Polishing Compound, and 3M rubbing compound. For wax I have Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba. Will this work with what I have for paint color? What would you suggest (w/o breaking the bank)?
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP.
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As far as washing it, if the touch up pant has had 48 hours to set, you are completely safe. On fairly new cars with clearcoat, I'd make sure the polishing compound is on the milder side. What you have is fine, but unless you're dealing with oxidized paint (as in, cloudy or chalky looking), a modern car with a good clear coat doesn't usually need a lot. Any pictures of your car would help with advising you. As far as your choice of wax, perfectly fine for your Volvo.

Only step I'd add, is a clay bar after washing, before using the polish and wax. HUGE difference for removing surface roughness from environmental fallout, and a critical step in really getting your paint back to its best.

What he said. Unless your clearcoat is worn though, a clay bar is a great way for a DIY cleanup. Good wax on top of it. Then, if you are hard-core, California dust it every other day and spray quick detailer to get sap and other grime off. Hand wash only. Hard-core only, of course
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

OK, wash, polish (and a few spots w/ rubbing compound), and wax completed done- even though I only went 24 hrs w/ the touch-up paint. Looks pretty good, considering. Still a lot of depth to the paint for the most part.

Now thinking about the next time: Anybody have any experience with Griot's Garage One-Step sealant?
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP.
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold)

I've tried quite a few waxes and sealants over the years and my favorite by far is Menzerna Power Lock: https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-...rna+power+lock

Not the cheapest stuff but it goes on and off really easily and the best part is that it dries clear so it doesn't leave any white wax residue stains on plastic/rubber trim. Once you apply power lock, just use some spray wax after ever wash and you will be good for at least a year.

Griot's stuff is hit and miss in my experience. Some of it its pretty good though. I've never used their sealant though.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements