Do you use premium fuel? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by adkmooserider View Post
      What is the big cost savings of 87 vs 93? 30cents/gallon x 15 gallons=$4.50/fillup x52 fillups/year=$235 in additional savings or cost annually. Makes sense to get the 93.
      80 cents a gallon more here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the importance of using top tier fuel with the additional additives that the top tier designation requires.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      You make assumptions on prices elsewhere as well as how often a fill happens.
      I do make those assumptions and they aren't far fetched. One tank of gas a week is ball park 300 miles (15x20mpg) x52 weeks 15kmiles per year. Even if 30 cents is an underestimate and 80 is correct your still looking at about $600 a year. Other than the assumption that the folks buying a. $60k car can afford 600 extra bucks a year, what's wrong with these estimates?

I just finished 18k miles in one year on my s4 barely getting 20mpg. I didnt buy prius/tesla/ev/hybrid. I bought a performance vehicle that needs/benefits from 93 octane and I put it in. My wife just ordered a V90 and will put in 93 octane to get most out of her car because that's what she signed up for. When we drove a 4 cyl Camry or 6cyl Chevy malibu, we put 87 in because that's what it needed.
      Last edited by adkmooserider; 04-16-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adkmooserider View Post
      I do make those assumptions and they aren't far fetched. One tank of gas a week is ball park 300 miles (15x20mpg) x52 weeks 15kmiles per year. Even if 30 cents is an underestimate and 80 is correct your still looking at about $600 a year. Other than the assumption that the folks buying a. $60k car can afford 600 extra bucks a year, what's wrong with these estimates?

I just finished 18k miles in one year on my s4 barely getting 20mpg. I didnt buy prius/tesla/ev/hybrid. I bought a performance vehicle that needs/benefits from 93 octane and I put it in. My wife just ordered a V90 and will put in 93 octane to get most out of her car because that's what she signed up for. When we drove a 4 cyl Camry or 6cyl Chevy malibu, we put 87 in because that's what it needed.
      Your estimate is pretty good but remember that premium will fetch better fuel mileage due to ignition timing advancement. So your estimates may be higher than actual. Premium could end up costing much less with Higher MPG.
      Expert Level Volvo Technician and MY17 S90 T5 FWD owner

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Your estimate is pretty good but remember that premium will fetch better fuel mileage due to ignition timing advancement. So your estimates may be higher than actual. Premium could end up costing much less with Higher MPG.
      According to my calculations a 2 mpg increase in mileage will offset a 30 cent per gallon price increase.
      ppg gal mpg miles ppm
      $3.00 20 17 340 0.00882
      $3.30 20 19 380 0.00868
      I've always run premium for the beneficial reasons stated above. Heck, I even run premium in my Honda lawn mower.
      Last edited by Laslonimne; 04-18-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laslonimne View Post
      According to my calculations a 2 mpg increase in mileage will offset a 30 cent per gallon price increase.
      ppg gal mpg miles ppm
      $3.00 20 17 340 0.00882
      $3.30 20 19 380 0.00868
      I've always run premium for the beneficial reasons stated above. Heck, I even run premium in my Honda lawn mower.
      Well done sir. I am impressed as I could not crunch numbers like this without thinking hard for two days

Well done sir. I am impressed as I could not crunch numbers like this without thinking hard for two days
      Thanks. It's just a simple Excel spreadsheet. Price per mile will vary with price per gallon and miles driven, but 2 or 3 miles per gallon will always show the benefit.
      Since I've never done a real-life comparison, I have no idea what mpg increase can actually be realized by using Premium. But since I use it exclusively, I don't really care.

Heck, I even run premium in my Honda lawn mower.
      Well, now we've heard from the other wrong side of the argument!
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      It's probably just easier to keep one can of gas as opposed to two.

The other side of that argument is to just get an electric, battery-powered mower...

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

If you are implying that you shouldnt use premium in engines that do not require it.... You win!!

For those who dont know, higher octane = more resistant to burning. Premium in an engine that does not need it can create higher levels of unburned fuel which in turn causes higher carbon build up and possible catalytic damage.

Bingo.

Premium in an engine that does not need it can create higher levels of unburned fuel which in turn causes higher carbon build up and possible catalytic damage.
      After 23 seasons with Premium, the Honda mower exhibits no evidence of carbon buildup. And I get 1/10 of one additional mow per season.

After 23 seasons with Premium, the Honda mower exhibits no evidence of carbon buildup. And I get 1/10 of one additional mow per season.
      I use 91 Octane in my mower as well, it's all I can getting locally that is ethanol free. Don't get me started on ethanol and small engines.

Quote Originally Posted by rrohrbeck View Post
      I use 91 Octane in my mower as well, it's all I can getting locally that is ethanol free. Don't get me started on ethanol and small engines.
      If you had a START button, I would push it.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Heck, I even run premium in my Honda lawn mower.
      That's crazy (and I do not mean that because you are wasting money); have you read the lawn mower's manual? Mine (and I have had the same one since 1998) strictly points out against using higher than 87 octane fuel.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      That's crazy (and I do not mean that because you are wasting money); have you read the lawn mower's manual? Mine (and I have had the same one since 1998) strictly points out against using higher than 87 octane fuel.
      Geez, I mistakenly thought this was a Volvo forum.

But since my offhand Honda mower comment has generated so much advice for me, I'm compelled to respond.
      As Tarrbot pointed out, I only inventory one can of gasoline for lawn equipment and Harley Davidsons and it's Premium.
      I fully understand that 91+ octane fuel, in addition to being more expensive than 87, results in lower fuel mileage on my mower. I confess I'm not concerned about the additional two bucks a year I waste on Premium for the lawn equipment.
      But to your "mower's manual" concern, here's a quote from my Honda manual:

This engine is certified to operate on regular gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher.
      Never use stale or contaminated gasoline or an oil/gasoline mixture. Avoid getting dirt or water in the fuel tank.
      You may use regular unleaded gasoline containing no more than 10% ethanol (E10) or 5% methanol by volume. In addition, methanol must contain cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors.
      Use of fuels with content of ethanol or methanol greater than shown above may cause starting and/or performance problems. It may also damage metal, rubber, and plastic parts of the fuel system.
      Engine damage or performance problems that result form using a fuel with percentages of ethanol or methanol greater than shown above are not covered under warranty.

And, as I said earlier, after 23 seasons it still starts on the first pull and exhibits no signs of carbon buildup.
      I appreciate all the concern for the well-being of my lawn equipment and fuel budget, but can't we get back to Volvo?

The other side of that argument is to just get an electric, battery-powered mower...
      Yeah, have to draw the line at mowers. My one big boy devours gas, so he's fine with 87 octane; it's non-turbo. I do add Stabil to every 5 gal can full though.
      Last edited by Bmo Pete; 04-24-2017 at 11:49 AM.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Actually, small engines are more likely to require higher octane. I have a relatively high-quality 48cc Chinese single-cylinder engine in a moped, and it requires 93 octane, ethanol-free gasoline.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2