Low boost after TB change?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Low boost after TB change?

I changed my timing belt over the past weekend and I must say I F'd up quite a bit, messed up timing between crank, intake, and exhaust. 1st time I was a tooth or two off and ended up in "limp mode" with a code for the camshaft pos sensor, ran fine though. 2nd time ran worse (adjusted it the wrong way), 3rd time wouldn't crank, retimed the entire thing up to marks and fired up just fine, no codes no nothing. I cranked it not knowing it wasn't timed right, (incorrect timing didn't let it start, starter just ran no turning over). I also changed my oil from 10w30 to 5w30 along with my coolant (changed water pump).
      Now as I had my hilton stage 2 tune I was boosting up past 10 PSI to 12 or 14, now it stops at 10 no matter what gear, its slightly higher than should be for stock but it's not as high as it was, did I do some damage? or is it possible that the "limp mode" effectively "detuned" my car. it doesn't sound any different, no odd noises like I broke something, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
      Mystic Silver 2005 S60 2.5t, Eight8Fab Downpipe, Hilton Stage 2 Tune. Custom 3" CAI ( R-Kelly Style)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well I loaded the tune again, still no difference, only hitting 8 PSI max boost. I runs perfectly fine which makes me think its not a bent valve, I'll see if I can run a compression test later this week to rule that out.
      Mystic Silver 2005 S60 2.5t, Eight8Fab Downpipe, Hilton Stage 2 Tune. Custom 3" CAI ( R-Kelly Style)

Quote Originally Posted by adammalS60 View Post
      Well I loaded the tune again, still no difference, only hitting 8 PSI max boost. I runs perfectly fine which makes me think its not a bent valve, I'll see if I can run a compression test later this week to rule that out.
      That's what I'd do to make sure everything is straight as far as that goes. Any CELs, or do you have access to VIDA/DiCE?
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I cross posted into the R section and they informed me my timing is probably off, since I moved the intake cam gear 2 teeth. I have VIDA and will look at what the VVT is doing as soon as I get off work. no CEL's like I got before when I was off.

I cross posted into the R section and they informed me my timing is probably off, since I moved the intake cam gear 2 teeth. I have VIDA and will look at what the VVT is doing as soon as I get off work. no CEL's like I got before when I was off.
      Update: I deviate from nominal on both intake and exhaust by +- 0.5 degrees at idle, I don't think its the timing.

This is going to tell you your answer. Although it runs fine with it now timed correctly, you still might have nicked a valve (or a couple) when the timing was off and it was running poorly. It may run fine because the valve can seal enough to make some compression, but when there is boost on the other side, the seal might not be adequate enough to hold the boost if any valves are bent. Obviously, this is speculation, but a compression test should give you an answer whether it is the valves or not.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements