ECU Spacer Installed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

ECU Spacer Installed

Since I had to disconnect the airbox to replace my upper radiator hose, I figured it was a good time to install the ECU spacer that I pulled off my old V50. If you don't know what these are about, it is a spacer that Ford used on the European Focus RS that had the Volvo 5-banger turbo engine. It goes between the airbox and ECU to move the ECU out to reduce how much the cooling fins impinge on air flow. Cooling of the ECU is still good as they are still in the flow with the present spacer thickness. There is a guy on C30Crew Market Place (http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=spacer) that fabricates these or there are some on ebay. Some thicker ones are available but I am not sure about ECU cooling. Obviously if you are running a CAI this is not necessary.

The only down sides is that it can make the airbox more difficult to remove for repairs and you have to modify the plastic ECU cover for it to fit.

As with my previous car, the benefit is in the throttle response. The benefit seems greater with this car with the manual tranny though. This will not increase boost as that is governed by the computer. It only allows better flow to achieve boost more rapidly.

Airbox with ECU removed:

Spacer sitting on ECU showing cooling fins:

ECU reinstalled with spacer:
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm happy with my GoVo spacer. I still wish I didn't have that big airbox though
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

GoVo, that is the one I have.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      GoVo, that is the one I have.
      Extra Cooling and more Fresh Air - nice move ..

I really don't see anything too wrong with the Stream Fording - Snorkel . . it has the Snow intrusion Breather , and the
      Excessive Rain Exit ..
      Last edited by EngTech; 04-11-2017 at 09:00 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

I didn't really understand the need for such cooling of the ECU anyway. VW/Audi uses very similar Bosch ECU's and they don't have huge heatsinks or anything. Just a thin metal case, stuffed in a plastic box up by the windshield. Basically no airflow. I'm not sure what's different that makes the Volvo ECU require this special treatment. Can anyone enlighten?

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      I didn't really understand the need for such cooling of the ECU anyway. VW/Audi uses very similar Bosch ECU's and they don't have huge heatsinks or anything. Just a thin metal case, stuffed in a plastic box up by the windshield. Basically no airflow. I'm not sure what's different that makes the Volvo ECU require this special treatment. Can anyone enlighten?
      It's for redundancy - a fence around a fence. In in the off-chance the engine bay gets too hot the cooling is always there for the ECU. I'm not sure this would actually happen unless you ran out of coolant or were living in Death Valley. Plenty of people that ditch the stock airbox have zero issues. As an aside I'd take a spacer any day over ditching the stock box.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Ah, that makes sense. I suppose the location is a bit challenging, taking hot air from the radiator directly to the face all the time. Certainly not my first choice for ECU placement in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      Ah, that makes sense. I suppose the location is a bit challenging, taking hot air from the radiator directly to the face all the time. Certainly not my first choice for ECU placement in any case.
      Ah, yes. That too!

How about the sound? Changed anything?
      Does your old cover fits the new ecu with the spacer?
      Hu: Stock HU+Grom mst4 Comp: Hertz Hsk165XL Amp: TRU S44 Mono: JBL BP1200.1 Sub: Hertz HX300+Hertz HX300

I was wondering about the cover, too.

The cover will not fit with a 14mm spacer.

I think mine is a 10mm spacer and the cover fits. It is snug against the ECU but it fit with no real modification.
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 135,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 145,000mi
      No mods.

It didn't change the sound. The cover does not fit yet. On my old V50, I was able to shave the plastic stiffeners down and force the cover on. It is very tight but it worked. I am wondering if a deeper cover was used and available from the Focus that used the Volvo engine. Some versions had the same airbox.
      Last edited by AutoGeek; 04-17-2017 at 02:00 PM.

i couldn't get my cover back on after installing the ecu spacer... or i could with some plastic shaving?dremelling but it'd pop off after a few miles. so i zip-tied it in place at the bottom and that worked.

but after i had my car in for service (timing belt) and they had to replace the fan too (had CEL), now the ecu cover fits. the way they put things back together must've created just enough space. now i know why some folks say "cover fits fine" and other require shenanigans with shaving, zip ties, etc.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Hey guys, Sanatarium from GoVo here, glad you are enjoying your spacer kits! We have had conflicting reports for sure on the ECU cover fitting back on, I have installed two kits on local vehicles, as well as two of our test vehicles, and three covers went on with some finagling and pressure in just the right places, one of them, a later model, there was a slightly different configuration on the ribs on the inside of the cover and we were able to shave the rib and get it to fit. Just depends on what cover you have, it seems they changed the cover features in the injection mold a few different times with no correlation to year or model unfortunately!

Thanks!
      2010 C30 |1|2|3| Elevate:IC+Hard Piping,Engine Mount,Rear Sway Bar|K&N Intake Pipe|ViVA Silicone Intake Hose & CBV|Ferrita Exhaust|EST Downpipe|Shark Stage III Tune|GoVo ECU Spacer
      1997 850 T-5 Wagon | TME Exhaust | IPD Intake | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe
      Previous: 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

When i installed my GoVo spacer in my 04 V50 i couldn't put the cover back.
      Made a nice adjustment so it still fits now and i'm happy with the spacer
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66
      EST 3'' DP - K&N Intakepipe - DO88 Intercooler - Forge BCV - Elevate TCV, Lowering Springs and Swaybar - E-Focus Torgue Mount - Koni STR.T - SPR Strut brace - IPD End links

Nice work. I may try that if shaving the ribs doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBoy View Post
      When i installed my GoVo spacer in my 04 V50 i couldn't put the cover back.
      Made a nice adjustment so it still fits now and i'm happy with the spacer
      I like that. The ECU gets a spacer and then the cover gets a spacer

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements