Dealer for first service?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Dealer for first service?

Good idea or just spending money? My new to me MY2015.1 XC60 could use an oil change. I've not had it serviced at all since getting it in January. And although my local mechanic is very good, I'm not sure he's versed in Volvos, as we don't see too many of them out here in the sticks.

For some reason I expect an oil change to be a bit more expensive at a Volvo dealer. If I go that route is there anything additional I should ask them to look at? I just don't want to see a $300 oil change.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Isn't that covered under warranty?
      2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!

I absolutely would suggest that you call your dealer's service advisor and ask if it's covered under the warranty. In any event, you should ask about software updates and campaigns. Finally, I personally don't like the idea of an aftermarket oil filter going on my car.
      2016 XC60 T5 OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is def no warranty for the oil change. I didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer. I've seen mention of software updates and planned on bringing that up. But what do you mean by campaigns? Just trying to be armed with the correct verbiage when I talk to them. I think speaking the "language" helps. Agreed on OEM parts, even filters, especially on this vehicle.

Volvos generally come with some amount of "free maintenance". Programs change from time to time but the program that is most common on the new Volvos is free maintenance to 30K miles. This usually means there three services 10K/20K and 30K. Then the routine maintenance is on you after this time period. A warranty for Volvos covers defects and such for 4 years/xmiles. Call up your Volvo dealer and have them tell you if your car has been in for these routine maintenance visits. This should be all you need to get this going.
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 16, 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

If you are interested in aspects other than price I would say it is worth a try.

For example - I recently bought mine used from the dealer and they CPO'ed it. This is my first Volvo and would like to try to build a relationship - for any CPO issues, future purchases, etc.. The oil changes and maintenance are every 10K, whereas my old car was every 3-5K, so even if it is a bit more expensive than my usual place, it shouldn't be too bad. They also provide loaners, whereas my usual place offers only pick up / drop off (which is also great!). I like my usual place alot and have been using them for at least a decade (and wil keep bringing my other cars there), but the other aspects are reason enough for me to at least try the dealer.

You should also look at what is included at each 10K service. I think what will be more expensive than the oil change would be the other recommended services.
      2013 XC60 Passion Red R-Design Platinum w/ P*

Quote Originally Posted by KennyE View Post
      Good idea or just spending money? My new to me MY2015.1 XC60 could use an oil change. I've not had it serviced at all since getting it in January. And although my local mechanic is very good, I'm not sure he's versed in Volvos, as we don't see too many of them out here in the sticks.

For some reason I expect an oil change to be a bit more expensive at a Volvo dealer. If I go that route is there anything additional I should ask them to look at? I just don't want to see a $300 oil change.
      How many miles are on the car? If it's no longer covered under 10/20/30k mile free services then it would be sort of a toss up to me if I would take it to the dealer. If the car is running fine then I would just do the oil change myself. If you want to make sure it has the most recent software updates (if any) then be prepared to pay more for an oil change and the car will most likely be no different than it is now. Your choice.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Just echoing what people are saying in different words. It doesn't matter where you bought it, any remaining warranty is still valid and any included service is still valid. Those are two different topics.

I purchased my MY13 from CarMax as no local dealer had a T6 with the color and options I wanted. The local Volvo dealer did the 30K service under warranty at no cost, so buying used from an non-dealer doesn't change the free service - at least that was my experience.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2004 C70 (Wife's Volvo for Life car)
      1983 244 GL (gone, but fond memories)

Quote Originally Posted by KennyE View Post
      There is def no warranty for the oil change. I didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer. I've seen mention of software updates and planned on bringing that up. But what do you mean by campaigns? Just trying to be armed with the correct verbiage when I talk to them. I think speaking the "language" helps. Agreed on OEM parts, even filters, especially on this vehicle.
      From what I can determine, "campaigns" are similar to manufacturer recalls. I had my car in the dealer's shop a few months ago to look at a brake issue and while there, they completed a "campaign" on a seat belt issue. You can go to this site to check for pending recalls on your vehicle, but I'm not sure if it also includes "campaign" data.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/own/addi...ll-information

Finally, I didn't use the correct term earlier when I suggested that your service/oil change may be covered under the warranty. But, as others have noted, it may well be covered under the complimentary service program that was in place when the vehicle was first sold as new. It is sure worth a phone call to your dealer to find out.
      2016 XC60 T5 OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

OEM filters are tough to find online. Aren't the OEM really WIX, MANN or MAHLE/CLEVITE?
      2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements