suspension replacement questions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

suspension replacement questions

Hi guys - I put this in the IPD forum but it looks like it does not get a lot of reads compared to here. Thanks in advance for any an all info. I have a 2010 XC60 T6 with about 120k miles on it (also have a 2016 XC90 R in bursting blue, still turns heads , but that is for a different forum).

The 60 has original suspension parts. This winter I started hearing some creaking/groaning and it was diagnosed that it is the upper strut bearing. The labor time is close to the same as replacing the strut, so I decided to wait. The noise is now mostly gone in the warmer weather (in the NE) BUT now the car is starting to float little, lean a lot in turn etc. So it is clearly time to redo some parts. Here are my questions:

1 - I plan to get the IPD struts, are the HD ones that much stiffer than stock. I have driven BMWs in the past and like that firm ride, but dont want to get jolted all over the place. I would like stiffer than the original stock ones, is there another one I should consider?
      2 - since I am in there, do I need to replace the control arms? anything else? The suspension was looked at several times and nothing is bent, broken or excessively worn. Will it help to replace?
      3 - do / should I replace the shocks in the back? if yes, do i need to go the same type (HD vs regular) ? I am planning to get the rear sway bar from IPD when I do the shocks, I heard it is a huge help for a cheap price.
      4 - installation, i am staying way clear of Volvo, it has been dealer maintained for everything so far, but they wont touch an aftermarket part & they quoted me over $3k just for the front, no thank you!! I was planning to go to a car custom mod shop since they know more about suspension more than a general shop, but is this necessary? I am not doing anything custom, so it this simple enough for a regular repair shop?

Lastly, is there anything else I should consider at this point? The car has a lot of miles but overall runs great and is well maintained. Appreciate any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have OEM xc60 T6 struts, shocks and springs cleaned and ready in shipping boxes in my garage. I pulled em off my 2014 (non R-D) at under 20k miles, when I upgraded to the r-design suspension. So they're essentially brand new.

Sounds like not what you were planning to do, but they're all yours for $100 + shipping. If you want to PM me your zip code (or nearest metro area), I can get a shipping quote for you. Saves $1000+ off the cost of new.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ts-Low-Mileage

Happy to make a deal if there's any of my other OEM parts that you can use, too.
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Custom Exhaust, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

PM sent, thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am installing the Polestar suspension for the XC 60 in my non-RD.
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

What area do you live in? I wouldn't jump straight to "a regular repair shop" necessarily. I've had very mixed results with "regular" shops and I suspect others have had the same. If we know where you're at, maybe someone can recommend an independent shop for the job.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      What area do you live in? I wouldn't jump straight to "a regular repair shop" necessarily. I've had very mixed results with "regular" shops and I suspect others have had the same. If we know where you're at, maybe someone can recommend an independent shop for the job.
      I am in Fairfield county CT. Thanks!!

Several of of us "lay persons" have replaced the front and rear struts/springs so any decent shop should be able to do it. It was definitely more of a pain than anticipated!
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black
      1997 M3 - Alpine White/Black

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements