Which fog light software do I buy on VIDA for activating fog lights?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 26 of 26
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356

      Which fog light software do I buy on VIDA for activating fog lights?

      I just got the 3 day VIDA subscription and it gives me 4 choices, 30664434 30679693 30664435 30679694. Two of them just say, Fog light application, the other two, Foglight w/o highbeam application. I don't want the highbeams on with the fog lights.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,277
      This is the Euro software number for later P2s (05-07) 9438237
      Not sure if it works on a P1 as I have no experience with those.
      No one in the US can give you the answer unless they actually have used it and have a copy of their bill
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    4. #3
      Member thefisch33's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Aurora, CO
      Posts
      1,014
      I no longer have my bill. Just call the dealership and ask.


      That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 R1 Slotted Rotors&EBC Red Stuff, straightpipe, eibach springs

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Got it from Volvotechinfo support thanks.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Rainy Island (aka Ireland)
      Posts
      244
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      I just got the 3 day VIDA subscription and it gives me 4 choices, 30664434 30679693 30664435 30679694. Two of them just say, Fog light application, the other two, Foglight w/o highbeam application. I don't want the highbeams on with the fog lights.
      Im sorry for OT but just had to ask - is that a rule in US that if you put high beams on it has to deactivate foglamps? Is there any particular (like safety-related) reason for this?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

    8. #6
      Member GRat9717's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      NJ, USA
      Posts
      2,188
      Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Im sorry for OT but just had to ask - is that a rule in US that if you put high beams on it has to deactivate foglamps? Is there any particular (like safety-related) reason for this?
      This is true. Something about a limit on the number of projecting lights facing forward on the car. This varies from state to state and I believe New Jersey, for example, is four.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Rainy Island (aka Ireland)
      Posts
      244
      Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      This is true. Something about a limit on the number of projecting lights facing forward on the car. This varies from state to state and I believe New Jersey, for example, is four.
      Thanks. Makes zero sense to me at all when in conjunction with high beams (how would that matter for anybody as you dont use high beams if there is oncoming car or you are following one anyway??) but if thats the law, car manufacturers must obey, I guess.
      I suppose that also answers my eternal questions "why American trucks usually doesnt have roof spotlights". Was bugging me for ages, being used to see European trucks with 8 or 14 (!) extra spotlights on the roof and bullbar.
      Wisdom acquired, sorry for OT :P
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      High beams are aimed far forward on the road, which in fog, are of no help, and in fact, reflect back to the driver actually reducing visibility. Fog lights are aimed close down toward the road for increased visibility.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Rainy Island (aka Ireland)
      Posts
      244
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      High beams are aimed far forward on the road, which in fog, are of no help, and in fact, reflect back to the driver actually reducing visibility. Fog lights are aimed close down toward the road for increased visibility.
      Yep, I get this, but what I understood software switches OFF foglamps if you activate high beams right? Or I go it backwards?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Was able to get the fogs activated through VIDA with an Ebay Chinese DICE and a 3 day subscription. Wasn't easy but not terrible. Now on to add a remote.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Yep, I get this, but what I understood software switches OFF foglamps if you activate high beams right? Or I go it backwards?
      Yep, fogs off when you switch on highbeams.

    14. #12
      Member GRat9717's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      NJ, USA
      Posts
      2,188
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      High beams are aimed far forward on the road, which in fog, are of no help, and in fact, reflect back to the driver actually reducing visibility. Fog lights are aimed close down toward the road for increased visibility.
      ^This.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Rainy Island (aka Ireland)
      Posts
      244
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      Yep, fogs off when you switch on highbeams.
      Yes, exactly, thats my point - I dont understand logic in it. Its not like its trying to prevent you using high beams in fog (that would make sense) - it just switches fogs off when you use high beams, like it would make any difference that your car emits 6 light sources instead of 4, while you are blinding anyone with high beams anyway!
      Not arguing with rules (we have some weird here aswell) but simply trying to justify the reason
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      It's assumed that if you need to use your fogs you are actually driving through fog, and if so, adding the highbeams would in fact reduce your visibility when the light from the highbeams are reflected back through the fog.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      tampa,fl
      Posts
      90
      So what was the answer? 30664434 would have been my guess based on my readings. But that is just merely a guess.
      1985 240 Turbo 311K | 1995 Yellow T5-R 236K | 1996 850 Turbo 237K | 2005 S40 2.4i 150K | 2005 XC90 2.5T 200K | 2007 S40 T5 150K

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Yes.

    19. #17
      Junior Member drjonez's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      The Cheese State
      Posts
      435
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      Was able to get the fogs activated through VIDA with an Ebay Chinese DICE and a 3 day subscription. Wasn't easy but not terrible. Now on to add a remote.
      Glad to see someone actually documenting VIDA working on a China DICE. I have a few pieces of SW I need to buy and wasn't sure it would work...thank you!
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

      Function > Form

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Got a new remote working too. Software for each was around $22 and the 3 day, $77.

    21. #19
      Member beachnut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      SW Florida
      Posts
      1,319
      I'm curious how you did this. I've seen a few posts in the canbus forum but it seemed like a major pita. I have a cloned dice and a hacked 2014 vida. Are you using the hacked vida or the new internet based version? Would love to turn off off the drl function on our S40
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Odysseus, Dynaudio, Climate, BLIS, PCC, PA 80k
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, Chrome Tucana, Dynaudio 128k
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Serapis, Dynamic Package 77k
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      I downloaded the 2015 VIDA from Volvo as part of the 3 day.

    23. #21
      Member beachnut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      SW Florida
      Posts
      1,319
      Ok. What wasn't easy about it as you mentioned, did you have trouble getting it to see your dice, or just getting the 2015 to load? I saw your post on the canbus thread. I too have 2014D loaded and working fine on my laptop ... don't want to mess that up.
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Odysseus, Dynaudio, Climate, BLIS, PCC, PA 80k
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, Chrome Tucana, Dynaudio 128k
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Serapis, Dynamic Package 77k
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      No troubles. Uninstalled 2014 first. Will probably have to uninstall the 2015 version and put 2014 back to use the stand alone version.

    25. #23

      De Mist -ifying the fog light question

      Hi LizardOfBodom, a little rant about why you should not leave your fog lights on with high beams, and why many countries make laws to protect you on this matter....................
      Leaving the fog lamps on at all times does not actually improve the lighting safety performance or the driver's ability to see, though many people do so in the mistaken belief that they can see better this way at normal road speeds in dry weather. In fact, a systematic study done by one of North America's preeminent traffic safety research institutes shows that in the United States more people inappropriately use their front fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.

      Why? Because we human beings generally can't accurately tell how well or how poorly we see. We have subjective impressions, reactions, and feelings about how "good" or "bad" our headlamps are, and they feel very real to us, but they're very far out of line with the objective, measurable, real lighting performance and seeing ability. It's not that we're fooling ourselves, it's that our visual systems just aren't equipped to correctly assess how well or how poorly we can see. The primary driver for a subjective impression of "good" head lighting is foreground light—and remember, that's what fog lamps produce—but foreground light is very far down the list of factors that go into the actual, real safety performance of the car's lighting system; that is, how well it actually lets the driver see what must be seen to avoid a crash. In clear conditions, though it makes us feel (falsely) more secure, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Of course, some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 20 feet in front of your left wheels.

      But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 25 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. That is, at normal road speeds, whatever is close enough to be within the foreground light is too close for you to avoid hitting. If you increase the foreground light (such as by turning on the fog lamps), your pupils react to the brighter pool of foreground light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. This is also the reason why it is not appropriate to have fog lamps lit with the high beam headlamps: if you're going fast enough to need high beams, you definitely don't want to spoil your distance vision by overly lighting the foreground.

      So all in all, when we use front fog lamps inappropriately, we feel like our seeing is better than it really is and we unconsciously adjust our driving to match how safe we feel. That, in turn, makes us less safe!

      M@



      Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Yes, exactly, thats my point - I dont understand logic in it. Its not like its trying to prevent you using high beams in fog (that would make sense) - it just switches fogs off when you use high beams, like it would make any difference that your car emits 6 light sources instead of 4, while you are blinding anyone with high beams anyway!
      Not arguing with rules (we have some weird here aswell) but simply trying to justify the reason

    26. #24
      Member beachnut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      SW Florida
      Posts
      1,319
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      No troubles. Uninstalled 2014 first. Will probably have to uninstall the 2015 version and put 2014 back to use the stand alone version.
      Yeah, I'd really rather not uninstall my working 2014 vida. Is that 100% necessary?
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Odysseus, Dynaudio, Climate, BLIS, PCC, PA 80k
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, Chrome Tucana, Dynaudio 128k
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Serapis, Dynamic Package 77k
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Suburban Washington DC
      Posts
      356
      Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Yeah, I'd really rather not uninstall my working 2014 vida. Is that 100% necessary?
      Don't know but can imagine some kind of conflict. Didn't want to find out with only 3 days to go.

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Rainy Island (aka Ireland)
      Posts
      244
      Quote Originally Posted by MadeInAus View Post
      Hi LizardOfBodom, a little rant about why you should not leave your fog lights on with high beams, and why many countries make laws to protect you on this matter....................
      Hi!
      By countries you mean "states" ? I have not heard of any EU country that have this legislation, nor have ever seen a EU car that does it. The only rules applied to foglamps on my continent is that
      - you must have at least parking lamps on to use front fogs
      - you must have dipped beam on to use rear fog lamp.
      thats it.
      Agree with what you say ref foreground light and agree that in high speeds foglamps doesnt help, but I am not sure now if this "fog off" is dictated by rule about the amount of active light sources like people said or just to prevent too much foreground when using long beams.
      If the first case - fair enough, its the law, but the same law then prevents you from using 2 or 4 extra spotlights and seem a bit silly to me.
      If the second case - using the same logic, when you apply long beams your car should shut off the dipped beams or when using bixenons, shutter should open upper part and close the lower, and that does not happen.
      Now, the only real advantage of having high beams and fogs connected IMHO is when you have foglamps on and car doesnt allow you to put high beams (high beams in fog are more dangerous than fog lamps in high speed IMO) but that doesnt happen either.
      So all in all - I still see no logic in it. I understand thats how it is and not ranting about it, just saying.

      and on sidenote - I live in country where people use foglights in all possible situations EXCEPT fog (like "my car looks cool during night with parking light and fogs even though i see sh**") , so after 10 years living here I just accepted the fact and got cool with it (and use dipped beams 24/7
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

    29. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements