Hideous noise and vibration on 2005 S40 T5 AWD M66, with VIDEO
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Hideous noise and vibration on 2005 S40 T5 AWD M66, with VIDEO

So the noise & vibrations happen around 20mph, disappear, and then return around 40mph. When you hear the sound for a brief burst, that's me punching the throttle. The sound definitely comes from the front/bottom of the car, and you can feel each "hit" sharply. What do you think? I'm at a loss...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What's it like at highway speed? When my cv axels were bad my drink would spill out of the cup in the center console it was that bad

That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 R1 Slotted Rotors&EBC Red Stuff, straightpipe, eibach springs

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      What's it like at highway speed? When my cv axels were bad my drink would spill out of the cup in the center console it was that bad

That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      After 43-44, everything goes back to normal... Some very slight vibration but nothing out of the ordinary for a 182K mile car... Pretty damn smooth.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, you may have a couple of issues. Possibly axles and cupped tires.

Have you rolled out any effect from changing speed up and down? In other words, are certain speed creating vibration more than others?
      Are you feeling any difference in vibration by applying even the sightliest pressure on the brakes?
      Do you feel any vibration at highway speed?
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Axles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

changed mine at about 195K, iirc.

Sounds like a bad CV axle. I would inspect both fronts for movement.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

btw, M66 axles are dealer ONLY. 😭😭😭

Tires are fairly new and in pretty good condition, so I don't think they're the culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlevang View Post
      Are the axle boots flinging grease all over the damn place?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Nope. No grease anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      Have you rolled out any effect from changing speed up and down? In other words, are certain speed creating vibration more than others?
      Are you feeling any difference in vibration by applying even the sightliest pressure on the brakes?
      Do you feel any vibration at highway speed?
      1) Vibration occurs around 20 and around 40 when under moderate to hard acceleration (torque being applied).
      2) As soon as I lift the vibration is gone.
      3) None, other than very slight vibrations that could be slightly out-of-balance tires or somesuch. Pretty damn smooth.

My thoughts? Check your torque mount. Mine vibrates especially hard between Idle and 2,000rpm, and you said it vibrates at around 20 and 40, is that gear and RPM independent? Because 20 is shifting zone and 40 is shifting zone to the next higher gears.

I'd check to see if the bushing is split if you have the efocus or if it's contacting metal to metal on the oem one since it only does it when you have your foot on the gas and doesn't when you have it off the gas, and that's what mine does.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

That's truly bad.
      As soon as I lift the vibration is gone.
      This points to bad inner CVs. Make sure to also look at your prop shaft. The CV in front & the support bearings. You may want to disconnect it completely as a check.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 04-13-2017 at 08:40 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
      1) Vibration occurs around 20 and around 40 when under moderate to hard acceleration (torque being applied).
      2) As soon as I lift the vibration is gone.

3) None, other than very slight vibrations that could be slightly out-of-balance tires or somesuch. Pretty damn smooth.
      This is pretty much always due to a bad inner cv axle joint on the passenger side. In fact, I've never seen those symptoms be anything but that. The fix is replacing the cv axle.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      That's truly bad. [QUOTE As soon as I lift the vibration is gone.]
      This points to bad inner CVs. Make sure to also look at your prop shaft. The CV in front & the support bearings. You may want to disconnect it completely as a check.[/QUOTE]

^listen to pzc, these are classic cv joint issues. If you get under the car and twist the inner cv you'll most likely get clunking and looseness. If so replace. Prop Shaft also has cv joints but they're harder to diagnose. That also just has to be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I wouldn't trust any hands on diagnoses. I've replaced quite a few bad cv axles and although over all the joints on the old axles always feel a bit looser, the rotational play you get from trying to turn the outer shaft while the inner shaft is held firm is always been negligible between the new and old axle. Not a reliable test IMO.

By your symptoms and video it's pretty obvious that the problem is the cv axle so don't think you're going down the wrong path if you check it by hand and don't feel anything too out of the ordinary.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

+1 The statement above is very true. Same thing with wheel bearings. You may feel something since it's horribly bad but don't count on it.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Any mods on the car?
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

+1 The statement above is very true. Same thing with wheel bearings. You may feel something since it's horribly bad but don't count on it.
      all CV axles will have a very minor amount of movement but if you can replicate sound and a few mm of movement in the joint then there's a strong chance it's shot. I'd love to know though - is there any other method for diagnostic?

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      all CV axles will have a very minor amount of movement but if you can replicate sound and a few mm of movement in the joint then there's a strong chance it's shot. I'd love to know though - is there any other method for diagnostic?

Outer joints make a clicking sound on turns. I have yet to experience an outer joint failure on any of my Volvos. All of my bad axles never made a sound.

The inner joints wear and cause vibration under load. And that's the test, accelerate and check for vibration under load, if it goes away when you let off the gas, then there's 99% chance it's a bad inner joint on the cv axle. For me, that's been the case 100% of the time. And when I replace the axles, there's no discernible differences between the new and old axle. I've let mine go long enough where the whole car shakes from 25mph and up, so I'd say they were good examples of really bad axles.

I wish there was a way to tell by looking at or feeling for play in the axles but that's never told me anything. The good news is, that once you know how a bad axle makes the car feel, you know it for life.

Hideous noise and vibration on 2005 S40 T5 AWD M66, with VIDEO

Well mine were only creating a nasty shimmy when accelerating a fairly steep hill;because, the shifting of the load to the rear axle changed the ratio to the trans. When I physically checked the rf cv axle it was obvious that the inner joint was loose and sloppy but the symptoms of vibration on acceleration were not consistent so without additional testing there was no way to know for sure. Enter the physical joint check, while the axle was on the car. Off the car, really hard to tell the difference

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Well mine were only creating a nasty shimmy when accelerating a fairly steep hill;because, the shifting of the load to the rear axle changed the ratio to the trans. When I physically checked the rf cv axle it was obvious that the inner joint was loose and sloppy but the symptoms of vibration on acceleration were not consistent so without additional testing there was no way to know for sure. Enter the physical joint check, while the axle was on the car. Off the car, really hard to tell the difference

You probably felt the normal in and out play of the inner joint. It's designed to telescope in and out very easily.

Didn't check in/out, only twist

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Didn't check in/out, only twist

OK. I never felt much of a difference between rotational play of new and old axles. YMMV

That's truly bad. This points to bad inner CVs. Make sure to also look at your prop shaft. The CV in front & the support bearings. You may want to disconnect it completely as a check.
      I'm very much inclined to agree with pczeilon.
      One way to help trouble shoot a bad CV joint is to do some test between the best and worse situation. To do that see if it makes a difference between applying load to the drive shaft up hill versus down hill, using the same speed acceleration as possible. If it vibrates more going uphill it is quite likely you have a CV joint/drive shaft problem.
      Last edited by TG; 04-14-2017 at 08:27 PM.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      Outer joints make a clicking sound on turns. I have yet to experience an outer joint failure on any of my Volvos. All of my bad axles never made a sound.
      I had a bad (and extremely loud) outer joint on my v50 about 6 months ago. whole car would shudder on left turns

This is why it's hard to diagnose CV inner joints. The wear is at normal ride height. As soon as you jack the car the axle elongates moving the tripod to a new fresh area of the outer housing. I believe the vibration is caused by the tripod bearings getting caught in that transition zone from worn groove to fresh area.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

This is why it's hard to diagnose CV inner joints. The wear is at normal ride height. As soon as you jack the car the axle elongates moving the tripod to a new fresh area of the outer housing. I believe the vibration is caused by the tripod bearings getting caught in that transition zone from worn groove to fresh area.
      That makes perfect sense.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements