Anybody remove headlights to restore lens?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Since it's so easy to remove the whole assembly, I thought it would be easier to restore the lens out of the car than taping it off while installed and making a mess with the dust and wet sanding on a freshly detailed car. How would you stabilize the light while working on it? Mine aren't too bad but have to replace a bulb so while it's out I might as well clean it up.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I sat on the ground and held them in between my thighs while I polished up mine it wasn't the most comfortable way, but it worked! If you can get the projectors out, wipe them down with some rubbing alcohol as well, mine were quite dirty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The girl who loves Volvos.
      2005 S40 2.4i 175k+ / Intake / Elevate Springs / CorkSport RSB / Decals
      1993 945 Turbooooo 295k+ / 15g / ipd Sway bar / more things I can't remember

theres a few methods. you can use tooth paste and a microfiber cloth and a bunch of elbow grease or you can use a clay bar kit/ rubber clay bar pad over it with a light dish soap solution. either way leave it installed so you can focus your arm strength on scrubbing and you dont need to tape off anything with these methods as your not using super abrasive materials.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by itsmackeever View Post
      I sat on the ground and held them in between my thighs while I polished up mine it wasn't the most comfortable way, but it worked! If you can get the projectors out, wipe them down with some rubbing alcohol as well, mine were quite dirty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That's an impressive amount of dirt for a sealed unit

That stage 2/3 black&yellow m66
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      theres a few methods. you can use tooth paste and a microfiber cloth and a bunch of elbow grease or you can use a clay bar kit/ rubber clay bar pad over it with a light dish soap solution. either way leave it installed so you can focus your arm strength on scrubbing and you dont need to tape off anything with these methods as your not using super abrasive materials.
      Use a 3M kit and would have to tape off.

I need to do this but for the microcracks on the inside of the lense along with cleaning and removing anything built up on the outside. How hard is it to separate the cover from the body the first time?
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

I need to do this but for the microcracks on the inside of the lense along with cleaning and removing anything built up on the outside. How hard is it to separate the cover from the body the first time?
      not hard at all. set your oven to 350 with the door down and place your headlight facing lens side in - do not set inside the oven only in front. let it sit for a few minutes to loosen the seal then start hacking away at it once it has softened. start to pry the lens from the housing slowly to avoid cracking.
      some people have left the old adhesive on and reused it, i used silicone sealant. while its open you can tinker with painting halos or blacking out the turn signal lens if thats your thing.

i need to reopen mine and clean the inside as well.

Use a 3M kit and would have to tape off.
      ok then wrap the housing in a towel and squeeze it between your thighs lens facing up. if you have weak thighs do some squats.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

I have bought a Headlight Restoration Kit off Amazon (2 polishing compounds and UV sealer) and spent about 30mins with drill and polishing wheel attachment. Result was decent, but would be better if I did a proper sanding (only did polishing), did that with headlamps removed.
      I only treated the pvc, the projectors were only dusted so didnt need to polish them.
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod

I removed the headlight assembly from the car. Clamped on a workbench, I could then us an orbital sander and dual action polisher to access all the edges of the lens. No risk to the paint or grit on the car.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements