Think I Really ...... it up this time. Need help.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I just can't leave well enough alone. Wife says that all the time. Told me to stop messing with the XC60. But, I can't. Most of what I've done is pretty harmless. Even this. Got my 2015 XC60 back with a clean bill of health. All is well. Me being me I figured I'd hook up the battery tender pigtails with the loop ends. That way on Saturdays when we weren't playing I could hook it up, it'd be topped off and ready to go on Monday. However .... while tightening the (-) terminal just.that.much.more .... yep, I crossed with the (+) terminal. You could have welded with the sparks. Argh!!!!

I went ahead and connected the tender so it can do whatever it is it does. Just took a reading off the battery - 13v +/-. It's charged fine. But .... I have nothing in the car. No lights. No starter. Nothing. It's a dead vehicle. Checked a couple of random fuses and they were fine. Any hints as to where to start looking? Does it have a master circuit breaker? That'd be wonderful! (altho' I doubt it). Just need a good starting place to look. And then I promise no more tinker f'ing with the car.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can't remember exactly but I think I saw a fuse on the wire coming from the ground of the battery right in the battery box. Might want to check that. If you applied voltage to it (which should never happen normally) then it might have popped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Tuned, First, thank you SO much for the reply. Makes me feel much better. And, I think you're close that it's a fuse. I'm leaning towards the positive side, tho. All of the fuses I checked were fine. So I started checking voltages and then continuity when I lost the voltage. I have 13.7v at the battery. Following it up the cable there's a weird "connector" of some sort. I think that is a fuse. I have 13V+ on the battery side of that doo hickey. And NULL on the other side. Here's some pics and continuity checks I made.

Continuity on the battery side of the connector. Same with voltage, but I'd already disconnected the connector when I took cont and pics

No continuity (open circuit?) across the doo hickey. Ditto on the voltage

It's this thing. What the heck is it?

I think it's #4 on this parts call out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know the feeling too well. In your case it seems like a very easy and cheap fix though, replacing the fuse. Part no is 31376602 in case anyone else stumbles in to this thread, seems to be the same fuse for all P3 volvos.
      edit: as for "easy" fixing, it seems you'll have to cut the entire last bit off the cable off to install the new one. Maybe have it done by someone who knows what they're doing so you don't essentially install a resistor?

If it's any comfort I did the same thing except I mixed up red and black, positive and negative. Luckily the charger was smart enough to cut power so I didn't fry and circuit boards or anything (this was ten years ago and I hadn't even gotten my license, was just being "helpful" )
      Last edited by Schmoyoho; 04-14-2017 at 03:36 AM.
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Why do you need a battery tender for one day of the vehicle not being driven?

Sounds to me like you have other electrical issues on this car.

I don't even put a tender on my convertible that sits in storage for 7-8 months of the year, lol. Just unhook the battery in the Fall and hook it back up in the Spring. Fires first time every time.

Well, you can see that the one end of that cable is scorched so I would start with that. Smart of Volvo to put that there. $76 plus some shipping won't hurt too bad. Hope that fixes your car and please listen to your wife!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

+1
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

Oh, I don't. It's a new toy, wanted to use it. That'll show me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I don't even put a tender on my convertible that sits in storage for 7-8 months of the year, lol. Just unhook the battery in the Fall and hook it back up in the Spring. Fires first time every time.

Well, you can see that the one end of that cable is scorched so I would start with that. 1 - Smart of Volvo to put that there. 2 - $76 plus some shipping won't hurt too bad. 3 - Hope that fixes your car and please listen to your wife!
      1 - Yes, yes it was.

2 - No, no it won't.

3 - Why start now?

You may as well pry off the beige plastic to see the damage underneath. You have nothing to lose at this point. You should do that before ordering the replacement.

This should answer your questions:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ke-a-look-here

My suggestion before you order anything, is to use a jumper cable and run a line from the battery + to the other side of the fuse/cable (where your thumb is). If it starts, then you have one specific issue, easily solved.

As for the replacement component, you should understand that you will have to cut the cable and crimp on the new cable. It's a 0 or 2 gauge, and so you will need an appropriate crimping tool.
      I dislike wagons, and don't particularly care for Volvo's in general. I'm not a fan of any one brand.

Currently trying to pilot the fastest P3 S60.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Harmony View Post
      You may as well pry off the beige plastic to see the damage underneath. You have nothing to lose at this point. You should do that before ordering the replacement.

This should answer your questions:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ke-a-look-here

My suggestion before you order anything, is to use a jumper cable and run a line from the battery + to the other side of the fuse/cable (where your thumb is). If it starts, then you have one specific issue, easily solved.

As for the replacement component, you should understand that you will have to cut the cable and crimp on the new cable. It's a 0 or 2 gauge, and so you will need an appropriate crimping tool.
      SH, thanks. I couldn't sleep, thinking I'd really f'd up my new vehicle. So I kept playing with it last night. The fuseable link is completely fried; I think it's a ceramic type fuse. It was just barely hanging on which you can't really see in the pic. Very brittle and just crumbled away. I haven't taken any pics of it without the fuse, but it's a very interesting design. The "plate" is in two pieces with the "fuse" between them as I think you pointed out in your link. This particular cable was the one running to the main fuse box. The one that runs down to what I assume is the starter is just fine. It's shown passing 13.7v all along. I did the jumper thing, the car is fine. It all re-energized, and the car starts. My local mechanic is ordering and will install the cable. He has the parts connection network, and the proper tools to install. Just waiting for the call.

And THEN ....... it's on to the next ..... oh, wait. Maybe I won't do anything else to it for a while.

Maybe stick to air fresheners or tire pressure caps for a while. LOL! J/K. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-14-2017 at 02:38 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

If battery tender means charger then I do that too. I have a CTEK smart charger that I use every now and then to charge the battery. I suspect my alarm siren has gone bad and is wearing down the battery over time. The alternator will never charge the battery back to 100% as power is being consumed so the more you can charge it and keep it close to that, the better.
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Maybe stick to sir fresheners or tire pressure caps for a while. LOL! J/K. :-)
      Uh, yeah, probably should. Wonder if I can install an air freshner that runs off the batt ....

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      If battery tender means charger then I do that too. I have a CTEK smart charger that I use every now and then to charge the battery. I suspect my alarm siren has gone bad and is wearing down the battery over time. The alternator will never charge the battery back to 100% as power is being consumed so the more you can charge it and keep it close to that, the better.
      Mine is a NOCO G3500, but it's the same idea. I find the Start/Stop works a lot better with a topped off battery. It's a weird "feature", but it does seem to help with mileage.

I'm away for 6 weeks at a time and I've had slow starts in the past so I use a battery tender. The power plug in the rear compartment is hot all the time so I plug it in there.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2013 Audi S5, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD, 1948 Willys Jeepster, 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe and others

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements