Hitch install disaster!?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hitch install disaster!?

So, as part of the purchase of my vehicle from the dealer, we included the install of a 2" hitch. I was skeptical about the install, bc of the pictures I have seen on here - with how dealers have butchered the skid plates on the RD versions. I was adamant that I would only do it if they installed the version (I think non-oem) that sat under the skid plate, since I am only using it for a bike rack. So I drop it off earlier this week, and come back and sure enough, they cut the skid plate up. I understand they followed the Volvo template for it, but I can't believe this solution is what Volvo recommends. It looks like I took a sawzall in my garage. It is so incredibly terrible. I tell the the guys about it, and 1/2 see what I am saying, others say, that is how we do it. One guy even recommends cutting it more, so it looks even. So, I have them looking for some cover assemblies that I have seen in various places, mostly on EU vehicles.

But it gets better. I get the car home, while they figure out what they are going to do. I try to connect my bike rack, and...IT DOESN'T FIT! The receiver seems just too small, especially on the corners. I am about to lose my mind. So I call the bike rack company, they ask me if I have a Volvo, and when I say yes, they tell me they have had a few customers with this issue. And that Volvo sometimes installs 50mm hitches, not 2" hitches, which are 1/32" smaller.

Has anyone had either or both of these issues? At this point, either they source one of the nice looking covers AND do some filing to the receiver, or I need to have them rip it out, install a new skid plate, and find the non-oem solution I originally wanted.

Thoughts?

2013 XC60 Passion Red R-Design Platinum w/ P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That hatchet job is totally unacceptable. I would speak nicely to the service manager and ask if this would be acceptable on his/her vehicle.
      I've installed those hitches and whoever did this one went WAY outside the guide lines.

Did Stevie Wonder do the install? I showed this to some other techs and jaws dropped!
      Last edited by Oceans60R; 04-14-2017 at 08:17 AM.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      That hatchet job is totally unacceptable. I would speak nicely to the service manager and ask if this would be acceptable on his/her vehicle.
      I've installed those hitches and whoever did this one went WAY outside the guide lines.

Did Stevie Wonder do the install? I showed this to some other techs and jaws dropped!
      Thanks! Do you have any pics of what a good job is on these?

They seem to be being nice about it - and researching covers, and saying "we know you are not happy, and we are going to make it right". So we will see. Have you ever run into the hitch size issue?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Absolutely nothing constructive or helpful to say. But still ..... Holy Crap!! A dealer did that? Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by llmonty View Post
      So, as part of the purchase of my vehicle from the dealer, we included the install of a 2" hitch. I was skeptical about the install, bc of the pictures I have seen on here - with how dealers have butchered the skid plates on the RD versions. I was adamant that I would only do it if they installed the version (I think non-oem) that sat under the skid plate, since I am only using it for a bike rack. So I drop it off earlier this week, and come back and sure enough, they cut the skid plate up. I understand they followed the Volvo template for it, but I can't believe this solution is what Volvo recommends. It looks like I took a sawzall in my garage. It is so incredibly terrible. I tell the the guys about it, and 1/2 see what I am saying, others say, that is how we do it. One guy even recommends cutting it more, so it looks even. So, I have them looking for some cover assemblies that I have seen in various places, mostly on EU vehicles.

But it gets better. I get the car home, while they figure out what they are going to do. I try to connect my bike rack, and...IT DOESN'T FIT! The receiver seems just too small, especially on the corners. I am about to lose my mind. So I call the bike rack company, they ask me if I have a Volvo, and when I say yes, they tell me they have had a few customers with this issue. And that Volvo sometimes installs 50mm hitches, not 2" hitches, which are 1/32" smaller.

Has anyone had either or both of these issues? At this point, either they source one of the nice looking covers AND do some filing to the receiver, or I need to have them rip it out, install a new skid plate, and find the non-oem solution I originally wanted.

Thoughts?
      Holy crap! This is a Volvo install? It looks more like a DIY after a case of beer! I would DEMAND they remove the install and give you a new skid plate. This is totally unacceptable. And Especially since it doesn't even fit your needs.

1 Word: R-E-F-U-N-D

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post

Followed by the Ironic Stevie Wonder Song "Isn't she Lovely"......(sarcasm)

Really sorry for what happened to your XC60.
      I did a lot of research about the hitch installation before I went to the dealer last spring. IMHO, VOLVO's idea of cutting a big hole on the skid plate is kind of stupid. Especially, we cannot get the removable hitch as the European spec. Volvo has a cover for the European hitch so it does not looks as bad as the model in the US. The OEM cover doesn't work with our hitch.
      There are several printed patterns on the back of the skid plate which VOLVO wants you to follow when you cutting the hole.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...sign-Tow-Hitch
      see the post of #12, I think that's how it looks like if you follow the pattern. It's not a R-design skid plate, and I heard it is more challenging to do it right on Rmodel.
      My dealer told me that they prefer to cut the hole as small as possible. So that's how they did on my XC60. It's not a perfect example, but it looks OK to me. My car has the P* tune, but not a R-design.

Last edited by nintendo1989; 04-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.

I had the volvo bike rack which is actually a product from Thule except without Thule's logo on it. It is very well built and fits perfectly. I got it with a discount from my dealer so it turns out cheaper than I buy the same model from Thule.

Quote Originally Posted by nintendo1989 View Post
      I had the volvo bike rack which is actually a product from Thule except without Thule's logo on it. It is very well built and fits perfectly. I got it with a discount from my dealer so it turns out cheaper than I buy the same model from Thule.
      Thanks for the detailed pics - the cut in yours looks much nicer, for sure! I agree the instructions to cut a hole are absolutely ridiculous. For mine, I see WHY they do it - to have access to the pin/hole and chain loops. BUT, it is the HOW they did it - and not having at least an integrated cover to use. I would rather they say the OEM hitch not possible.

I would have imagined that the cover wouldn't work in the US, but was hopeful. Researching volvo parts has been a bit of a forensic investigation.

As far as the rack, I already have a great $600 4 bike rack from Saris that fits every kind of bike, from kids' to women's to road to mountain. Not keen to get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by nintendo1989 View Post
      Really sorry for what happened to your XC60.
      I did a lot of research about the hitch installation before I went to the dealer last spring. IMHO, VOLVO's idea of cutting a big hole on the skid plate is kind of stupid. Especially, we cannot get the removable hitch as the European spec. Volvo has a cover for the European hitch so it does not looks as bad as the model in the US. The OEM cover doesn't work with our hitch.
      There are several printed patterns on the back of the skid plate which VOLVO wants you to follow when you cutting the hole.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...sign-Tow-Hitch
      see the post of #12, I think that's how it looks like if you follow the pattern. It's not a R-design skid plate, and I heard it is more challenging to do it right on Rmodel.
      My dealer told me that they prefer to cut the hole as small as possible. So that's how they did on my XC60. It's not a perfect example, but it looks OK to me. My car has the P* tune, but not a R-design.

Good gracious there are some blind no talents doing these.

This is one on a T8 XC90. Very similar cut, only flipped.
      We try our best.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph

Nice!

Nice!
      Are you in NoVA. What dealer?

I am not sure how they can do such a bad job as it came with the template to cut the hole out with. I would tell them to replace the diffuser, or i will complain to Volvo North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

I am in Richmond. They are saying all the right things and seem eager to solve it.
      Last edited by llmonty; 04-21-2017 at 02:43 PM.

My goodness, that is horrific! I cannot believe someone would do that and be proud to present that work to a customer. I'm so sorry, Ilmonty.
      2007 S40 T5

I took a quick look at eTrailer's site. (Quick disclosure: They are local guys, to me. I have them service all my trailers and they sponsor our waterski team.)
      They mention trimming on the R-D may be required on all the hitches they offer but, the Curt hitch looks like it hangs a bit lower than the others.
      I would also think that a welder might be able to modify the hitch. Negating all warranties, of course.
      Either way, if you told the dealership "Don't hack up the bumper cover", I think they owe you a replacement (new or used) bumper cover.
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-4000NEX, PDX-F4 & M12, L1v2, GZUF60SQ, GB12D4, PWK designed box, custom exhaust, Scorpion Verde summer/Ronal RT's, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12", Musicar NW box, Sottozero 3/185's, S-04/Ventoso's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, IPD rear, DWS 06, 1980 TR8​, NT05

OP, that is some impressively awful work. I am so sorry. The rear skid plates, especially on the R-D, are such a promenant and good looking feature. I personally would not want to hack it up to any level of bad or good hacking. Below skid plate hitch mount or nothing, in my mind. So, if this is what you told them, and they gave you the worst version of the Volvo accessory, you should receive nothing less that a new diffuser and your money back, then go get the right hitch from an after market shop. Best of luck.
      2010 XC60 T6 ~ 2009 S40 2.4 ~ 2001 V70 2.4 (buh-bye) ~ 2002 S40 1.9T (buh-bye)

Man....that is one heck of a hatchet job! Makes me sad to see. Hopefully the dealer helps you out.

I installed the Curt hitch on my 2015 XC60 R-design and I didn't have to cut the rear valence. The two downsides to it are 1) it hangs a bit lower than the Volvo hitch so it's more visible (but has never been an issue otherwise) and 2) I had to make a bracket to mount up the factory Volvo wiring harness.

Good luck!

Hitch install disaster!?

Quote Originally Posted by clzppt View Post
      Man....that is one heck of a hatchet job! Makes me sad to see. Hopefully the dealer helps you out.

I installed the Curt hitch on my 2015 XC60 R-design and I didn't have to cut the rear valence. The two downsides to it are 1) it hangs a bit lower than the Volvo hitch so it's more visible (but has never been an issue otherwise) and 2) I had to make a bracket to mount up the factory Volvo wiring harness.

Good luck!
      Any issues with the exhaust hitting the trailer receiver frame? I had to get longer rubber mounts to drop the exhaust down about an inch and do some customization with the hangers to get everything to fit right. I left the wiring in the wheel well and will just pinch the cable in the hatch when in use (not very often). The Volvo hitch wiring plug is huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-15-2017 at 09:10 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Any issues with the exhaust hitting the trailer receiver frame? I had to get longer rubber mounts to drop the exhaust down about an inch and do some customization with the hangers to get everything to fit right. I left the wiring in the wheel well and will just pinch the cable in the hatch when in use (not very often). The Volvo hitch wiring plug is huge!
      Nope, no issues with the exhaust hitting anything on the Curt hitch for me.

This is so monumentally bad it's makes me wonder if someone who's never used any cutting devices did this. Someone with experience with the right tool should not have made this look this way.

I can't believe that's what the cutout pattern looks like, nevermind the bad hatchet job they did to it.

Hopefully the dealer will make it all right.

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

Jump,over to the SPA 2016 XC90 forum for detailed discussions and (pre-install) options. If you specified a bike rack only install, the cut should have been minimal. I have the InvisiHitch - no cut in the facia. Not sure what would happen if I had the rear skid plate - I would guess no visible cut if any.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | 22" Summer | et al | TSU installed June 14, 2017 (ACC fix)

While I don't have an R-Design, I was worried what the dealer was going to do to my rear bumper when they installed the OEM hitch. Thankfully, I think they did the best that they could have. I like that the cut is symmetrical despite the right side being cut out for no reason.

There is no way I'd accept the work that was done to the OP's XC60. Good luck getting the situation righted.

2013 XC60 T6 AWD

If Volvo offers an OEM hitch why did they not account for it in the bumper design? Pretty crappy of Volvo. Why couldn't we get what the Europeans have with their OEM hitches?

Back when I got my XC60 the dealer butchered the bumper as well. They did redo it to where it is acceptable but this was what they did the first time around.

I'll post the second try one when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by volvosickness View Post
      Back when I got my XC60 the dealer butchered the bumper as well. They did redo it to where it is acceptable but this was what they did the first time around.

Thanks! Yes, it was your post I had read that had me telling them "don't butcher my bumper!" Very interested in how it ended up with you. Thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

I find the pictures of all the installs to be near appalling. They have templates they're supposed to use. None of the install pictures posted here look like any of these:

Or This

Or R-Designs like this:

I'm really surprised the dealerships would let their mech's cut out holes as posted. Then again, after having dealt with my local dealership over the weekend, maybe I shouldn't be all that surprised. (yes, that is a jaded remark. probably not germane to this discussion)

This post is intended to make the OP feel a little happier.

We purchased a 2009 T6 a little over 3 weeks ago. Nice condition recent used import from Japan. Just over 50000 miles (80000km), some nice factory extras too. The dealer had already fitted a tow bar. Bars here in New Zealand are different to bars I have seen anywhere else (especially different to Europe and England where I am originally from). The bar sat nicely under the bumper, although was fixed not detachable.

However last Wednesday another driver decided to redesign the bar and rear of the car. Fortunately whilst they hit me at speed (their airbags were activated) the XC60 fared reasonably well. However there is some hidden damage which needs pulling out and straightening.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Pretty nice rear defense mechanism!!
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Quote Originally Posted by volvosickness View Post

Thanks! Yes, it was your post I had read that had me telling them "don't butcher my bumper!" Very interested in how it ended up with you. Thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

This is how it is now. I was going to smooth the edges but never got around to it. Apologies for the dirty car.

The rear valance is specific to the R-design and is different from the "add on" one for the non-R cars (2010-2013) and is quite pricey for plastic. I added the electrical portion as the empty circle bracket looked "off"

Last edited by volvosickness; 04-17-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, pictures, and empathy! To give an update - I spoke to the dealer today and they have a new skid plate in, have ordered a cover, and are confirming that the hitch they received and installed was what they ordered. They said they were preparing for all options, so that give me some comfort for now. They did seem to take it really seriously. Really does sound like they are trying to do the right thing. *fingers crossed*

This is what a New Zealand installation should look like!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Almost all hack jobs I see in this thread would be unacceptable to me, including what Volvo suggests it should look like. Can't they produce something for all that looks like someone actually gave it some thought in the design phase? Somewhat relatedly, I have an invisihitch on my BMW F30 and it looks fantastic: invisible when not in use. I did see some XC90's and XC60's with an invisihitch?!

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements