Tire Load Ratings / Pennsylvania DOT requirements
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Tire Load Ratings / Pennsylvania DOT requirements

Did a quick search - didn't see these details provided in an earlier thread, so I thought I'd share with the rest of you - especially those that live in PA.

So, here's the deal. I bought a 2012 CPO S60 T6 last May. Absolutely love the car. Good value - great price, love the T6, etc, etc. Bought the car at a dealership about 3 hours from my house (let's just call them "Dealer A").

Car came with Michelin Primacy mxm4's (235/40R18) - 91H. When I bought the car in May 2016, it had about 50,000 on the odometer. Fast forward to April 2017, and I take the car in for inspection at a local Volvo dealership (we'll call them "Dealer B"). They proceed to tell me that the car would not pass inspection because the tires "were illegal" (yes - those are the words they used). I talked to the service writer twice - and really couldn't understand this issue. How is it that a Volvo dealership can sell a CPO vehicle with a certain tire, and 11 months later that tire is classified as "illegal”? He couldn't explain that issue to me, which made the whole situation even more frustrating. When my wife went back to Dealer B to pick up the car, he gave her a copy of a PA DOT Vehicle Inspection Division Safety Inspection Bulletin (dated September 2014):

175.80(e)(xxii) requires the vehicle to be rejected if a tire is smaller than the manufacturer's recommended minimum size or below the manufacturer's recommended load range.

For clarification purposes:

Tire size and load range are determined by the individual vehicle manufacturer. Gross vehicle weight along with the ability of the tire side wall construction to withstand stress on turns and the extreme force exerted on from tires during braking at freeway speeds are some of the factors that dictate load range. It is the load range rating branded on a tires sidewall that identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Operating a vehicle with improper tire size and load range could affect the stability control of a vehicle, having an adverse effect on the vehicle and others on the road. Tires are subjected to adverse conditions and Safety Inspection Inspectors determine if a vehicle's tires conform to manufacturer's specification and minimum tire conditions.

Regulations are not grandfathered, due to the fact that there could be two types of vehicles on Pennsylvania roadways: those with tires that pass the safety inspection in accordance with the regulation; and tires considered passable due to a grandfathering clause, but that do not meet the regulatory standard. This would be a cause for concern for public safety. The Pennsylvania Safety Inspection Program is committed to ensure the safety of all citizens traveling up the roadways.

The service tech wrote, “91 load rating on car. Needs to be 95 or above”.

So - if you have an S60 with tires that have a load rating of 91 (or below) - and you live in PA - you may have problems getting your inspection completed. Just want you guys to be aware.

Has anybody else experienced this?
      Life is too short to drive an ugly car...
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White / Tan Interior [Hers]
      2012 S60 T6 AWD Ember Black Metallic...aka "Svärt Kaffe" (Black Coffee) [His]
      Roll on...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't live in Pa. but totally normal for a car to not pass for tires underrated. Go to ANY tire shop and ask them to put underrated tires on and see what they say. Remember all the fuss with the Ford Explorer 15-20 yrs ago? Granted that was for inflation pressure, but similar type issue. Dealer "A" did something illegal, esp if it's CPO!
      2014 S60 T5 AWD, Sport, Power Blue, Beechwood, Full Heated Pkg. IPD Rear Bar W/HD links, IPD Skid Plate, IPD Cat-Back, IPD Trunk Spoiler, EST Strut Brace, KW V3's, Forge Star CF5 Gun metal Grey 18*8.5, DWS06, Snabb Intake Pipe, Paddle Extensions
      1986 Mustang SVO Summer toy
      2013 Imprezza hatch, Hers

I live in PA (been here for a very long time) and never experienced or heard of anything like that.
      I'd imagine since the tires are the right size their load rating is within range.
      Who is Dealer B? (you can pm me if you don't want to share with all)
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by compprep View Post
      I don't live in Pa. but totally normal for a car to not pass for tires underrated. Go to ANY tire shop and ask them to put underrated tires on and see what they say. Remember all the fuss with the Ford Explorer 15-20 yrs ago? Granted that was for inflation pressure, but similar type issue. Dealer "A" did something illegal, esp if it's CPO!
      Very interesting - I was quite surprised. Dealer A is 3 hours away. I called them, and they said they would take care of the inspection. I look a vacation day today, drove out there - and to my serious surprise - they replaced all 4 of the Michelins with Continental Extreme Contacts. Inspection successfully completed - and the 4 Conti's were definitely worth the drive!

That was my question for Dealer B - if I bought a CPO vehicle 11 months ago, how is it possible to have a problem with the tires? Now I know...

Thanks for the info and the confirmation compprep...
      Roll on...

Because no one cared to look!
      Saying that, I've never had any issue with this and I have run "under specked" tires (91 instead of a 94 load rating) but never a smaller actual size tire, if anything they were larger by a size or two
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      I live in PA (been here for a very long time) and never experienced or heard of anything like that.
      I'd imagine since the tires are the right size their load rating is within range.
      Who is Dealer B? (you can pm me if you don't want to share with all)
      I used to live in PA, and really wanted Conti Pure Contacts, buy they werent available in my weight rating, so the tire store "legally" (also their words) couldn't sell them to me so I got a set of Pirelli's, great btw. My advice is find a local garage to do the inspection, I doubt they would look.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Friend had a similar issue with his Subaru Legacy sedan. Was told he couldn't tow with the sedan but the Outback wagon was OK. It turned out it was because the sedan tires were under spec. He installed the hitch himself and towed with the car for years with no issues.
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

I bought Primacy xmx4s for my '13. Their load rating is 97, and they are marked "extra load." I think this tire comes in different ratings, even within one size.

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post
      I bought Primacy xmx4s for my '13. Their load rating is 97, and they are marked "extra load." I think this tire comes in different ratings, even within one size.
      That's really good info - thanks - much appreciated. I really liked the Primacy's that came on my '12. I've only had the Conti's on for a couple of days - but I think the handling was little more crisp with the Primacys. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have to replace tires. I may look at the Primacys with the higher load rating.
      Roll on...

I would push back on the original dealer. Threaten to report them to the state -- especially if they put an inspection sticker on the car when you bought it!
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      I would push back on the original dealer. Threaten to report them to the state -- especially if they put an inspection sticker on the car when you bought it!
      That's what happened. If you look back a few posts, you'll see that I drove there last week. Original dealer put a new set of Conti's on at no charge.
      Roll on...

Congrats on the new Conti's. Check on TireRack.com for an explanation of the codes used on tires. Also a good source to compare tire consumer ratings and dimensions if considering a different (larger) tire.

Quote Originally Posted by ejones565 View Post
      That's what happened. If you look back a few posts, you'll see that I drove there last week. Original dealer put a new set of Conti's on at no charge.
      Great! I misunderstood the post to mean you had to buy a new set (or I scanned it too quickly; it was several days ago that I posted). Good for you!
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements