2002 V70 2.4T exhaust diameter
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2002 V70 2.4T exhaust diameter

I want to cut out the muffler on my 2002 V70 2.4T and replace it with a straight pipe. I am keeping the resonator. What diameter is stock exhaust pipe before the muffler? Does anyone make a prebent straight pipe for these cars to weld/bolt in or am I stuck making my own?
      Last edited by Canadian Moose; 04-14-2017 at 10:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It'll be loud, and you'll hate it on the highway.

I believe it is 2 1/2 OD but your best bet is to chop it off and measure afterwards. When I originally cut mine off I went to Canadian tire and got a few pieces of pipe.

But take it from experience, don't start chopping stuff off and putting new stuff on before you know exactly what you want, it will save you hundreds.
      2001 V70 T5 | 400,000 KM | Vogtland springs + Enkei BR7, ARD tune @ 18psi, Snabb "Big" intercooler & piping, catless DP + Vibrant Ultra-Quiet + Magnaflow 5x8, do88 3" intake, Snabb TCV, Xemodex ETM

2002 XC70 | 402,000 KM | Bone stock, winter beater

Seconded, it'll be loud as hell. You could replace it with a straight-through muffler for more sound, but no muffler will make any drive over ten minutes require ear protection.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The resonator isn't enough to muffle the sound? With stock muffler is dead silent but I want to give it a bit of noise, not go full retard though.

No muffler will definitely but loud, raspy and obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Moose View Post
      The resonator isn't enough to muffle the sound? With stock muffler is dead silent but I want to give it a bit of noise, not go full retard though.
      The factory muffler is extremely efficient at eliminating noise. I'd replace it with something like a Magnaflow 5x8, that's what I have on my car and I love the sound. I'm completely catless and my exhaust consists of a Vibrant resonator and a 24" Magnaflow 5x8, around town and on the highway is nice and relaxed but as soon as I open it up she screams.
      2001 V70 T5 | 400,000 KM | Vogtland springs + Enkei BR7, ARD tune @ 18psi, Snabb "Big" intercooler & piping, catless DP + Vibrant Ultra-Quiet + Magnaflow 5x8, do88 3" intake, Snabb TCV, Xemodex ETM

2002 XC70 | 402,000 KM | Bone stock, winter beater

Since I was planning on doing something with the muffler I went ahead and chopped the factory one off. Perhaps it's because I have both the cat and resonator still in place and perhaps the turbo muffles it a bit too but it is not loud. Maybe it's because it's 2.5 inch pipe? To be honest I was a bit disappointed. However, I am satisfied with the amount of noise that it makes so I will add a piece of pipe in place of a muffler and a tip and call it a day.

Best is to replace the center resonator with a straight pipe.
      It will only be slightly louder with no droning and on the road at speed you won't even notice it!

Oh well, I did not read the last post so I hope it's not too loud
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements