Returning SAS/DSTC error
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Returning SAS/DSTC error

'07 V70 AWD. I had the steering wheel off the car for a full 24hrs earlier this week, and I hooked the battery negative off 15mins before removing the airbag. On installation I hooked the negative up to the battery with the key in Pos II, like the Volvo instructions say. I've been getting squeaks from the steering column right behind the wheel (not the firewall grommet for the column), so before I installed the wheel I put a few drops of WD40 in the rotating parts, on the clockspring and on the column itself.

Now, as soon as I start the DIM display says DSTC Service recommended (or whatever it says in english, mine's in swedish). If I remove the message with the button on the indicator stalk it comes back as soon as I turn the wheel. I assume the fault is in the steering angle sensor (SAS).

I haven't gotten around to read the codes yet, will do soon. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it because the lack of power for 24hrs, or has the WD40 shorted something out? Will it dry out, or am I looking at a new SAS?
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Clock Spring Sensor. Did you use the set screw to hold it in place when you removed the old steering wheel? Did you remember to remove the set screw on install? If you didn't lock it in place and allowed it to rotate freely it could be reading incorrectly. Don't know how you could find the correct orientation again, they come locked in place from Volvo.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Honestly, I wasn't aware of a set screw, I just marked the spot where the rotating part of the clock spring was in relation to the stationary part and the wheel, and took the wheel off. My main concern was getting the wheel back in the right orientation, which I did.

I did remove the wheel about a week before, doing the exact same thing, no error codes then.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When you remove the airbag there a small torx screw that you remove from steering wheel and screw onto the contact ring harness before removal to maintain orientation. Maybe remove the wheel, rotate the contact ring left 360*, test, rotate 720* right, test... Dunno.

https://youtu.be/VTxuk0QCNDg
      Example at 2:55
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-15-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Can't say I noticed that, but I don't see how it would make a difference. There's a notch in the rotating part of the clock spring, matching a similar nothh on the stationary part, and the rotating part only fits one way on the steering wheel. Or, do you mean that the clock spring has a set number of rotations it can do, and I need to re-center it, before I put the wheel back on? That could be the issue, since I didn't fasten the clock spring I may have rotated it a revolution too much. I always assumed it could rotate freely as much as it wants, and rotations while unpowered wouldn't make a difference since no sensors would register rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
      do you mean that the clock spring has a set number of rotations it can do, and I need to re-center it, before I put the wheel back on? That could be the issue, since I didn't fasten the clock spring I may have rotated it a revolution too much.
      This could be the issue.

Taking it apart and reading the codes later, thanks alot.

Here, found this.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post1694720

Makes sense. Rotate full left then full right to determine, count the rotations then rotate it back half, set the contact reel at 1 o'clock or at the proper orientation that the wheel would be.

Good Luck!

Holy ****, could it be that easy? Trying it immediately.

You, sir, are a hero of the finest sort. Did like the link described, took a fairly long drive, and right after I performed a tight turn and straightened up again, the error message went away. Was a bit tricky finding the centre, since the centre isn't in the exact middle of the two extremes, but I did find an indicator of sorts, a yellow strip in a "window" on the clock spring that only showed itself when I was at the extremes, and as close to absolute centre as I could come. Was worried I had broken it, if I turned to full lock and therefore turning the clock spring beyond the left or right end point, but now it works like it should.

I wish many sheep upon you and your family.

I wish many sheep upon you and your family.
      LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      LOLOL
      Was about to write camels instead of sheep, but I figured some PC douche would take that as an insult to arabians, syrians or whoever else runs camels for a living. Sheep seemed like the ethnically independant choice. Some scot or aussie will probably take offence.

Was about to write camels instead of sheep, but I figured some PC douche would take that as an insult to arabians, syrians or whoever else runs camels for a living. Sheep seemed like the ethnically independant choice. Some scot or aussie will probably take offence.
      As a white, Canadian, CIS male...

Just kidding. Glad you got that figured out. When I replaced my steering wheel I almost forgot to relocate the screw, and knowing me I probably would have just dealt with the error message thinking I broke it for good. This is prime information for the future.
      2001 V70 T5 | 400,000 KM | Vogtland springs + Enkei BR7, ARD tune @ 18psi, Snabb "Big" intercooler & piping, catless DP + Vibrant Ultra-Quiet + Magnaflow 5x8, do88 3" intake, Snabb TCV, Xemodex ETM

2002 XC70 | 402,000 KM | Bone stock, winter beater

Yeah, hopefully no one else will need to, but it's nice knowing you havent broken the clockspring.

What I don't get it thst the warning label telling you to secure the clockspring with the screw before removing the wheel, is on the surface you see only when you remove the wheel.

Anyway, here's the yellow strip that shows up every outer point and around the middle point, at 8 o'clock on the column.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements