2.5L L5 PFI = turbo or not ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2.5L L5 PFI = turbo or not ?

I know this is a basic noob question but I can not find the answer.. car fax is describing an '04 XC70 that I'm interested in as "2.5L L5 PFI", it says nothing about being a turbo model and the seller has not shown pics of the engine. I'm supposed to go see the car way across town in a few days but am only interested in the turbo models. Would car fax mention the turbo or not? Sorry, the seller (a shop owner selling on consignment) is of a vague,busy, and hard to reach character... who is already working on a list of my questions (I thought they were all turbo when I gave him the list of questions ) .

Or would adding a turbo to a naturally aspired XC70 be a better choice anyway? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject..

Doug C

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's a turbo motor. Low pressure Turbo 2.5L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k
      IG: psychocross_v70

Turboing an NA motor is, generally speaking, less economically sound than buying a turbo model in the first place. There are numerous differences in between the two motor types, the largest being compression ratios. If you slap a turbo on an NA, the risk of detonation would be so high you couldn't really run any boost at all. And then there's all the plumbing, for oil, air, coolant and exhaust, all different than the NAs. Realistically speaking it's either getting a turbo car, or swapping in a turbo motor, which brings with it it's own challenges.

I'd have the owner snap a pic of the engine bay, you'll see it immediately.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

OK good !!

Now, since there are no clear pictures of the back hatch, and I cannot see the badgeing .. did all the "XC70"s come with AWD or were some factory front wheel drive only cars? thanks again.

Doug C

All pre-2008 XC70s are LPT Turbos
      All XC70s are AWD
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      All pre-2008 XC70s are LPT Turbos
      All XC70s are AWD
      I think my confusion has something to do with "V70" wagons coming in both turbo and non-turbo as well as FWD & AWD. Not sure if that's the case bu no matter, I know about the XC now - and appreciate the info guys!

Doug C
      Last edited by Doug C; 04-15-2017 at 04:50 PM.

All awd volvos are turbos. So the xc70 you are looking at will be a 2.5l turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by hootie6828 View Post
      All awd volvos are turbos. So the xc70 you are looking at will be a 2.5l turbo.
      *All P2 AWD Volvos are turbo.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

3.2L and V8 XC90/S80 AWD are NA

😁
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Yeah I realized I should have clarifiedone after the post. How about all 5 cylinder awd volvos are turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by hootie6828 View Post
      Yeah I realized I should have clarifiedone after the post. How about all 5 cylinder awd volvos are turbo?
      All 5 cylinder awd volvos WERE turbo. Seen P80AWDs with NAs
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements