Which would you choose ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Which would you choose ?

Which and why: An '04 XC70 w/168k 3 owner that needs a radiator, strut mount, brake pads and rear rotors OR an '06 XC70 w/239k one owner ?

Doug C

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

'06. Facelift, more likely to have a detailed service history, mileage indicates long trips rather than loads of start-stop trips. All things being equal and all, mileage is nothing in these cars given a good service history.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

sounds like the 04 has been neglected.
      I bought the one with the largest amount of service records I could find. 13 pages worth, and it's still not been flawless.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Neither
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule!

thanks guys, the '06 w/239k is priced about $400 more but it's odd that it's wearing dealer plates yet it's not at a dealership, yet it is a one owner car. The '04 w/168K needs the listed items but they'd (small automotive repair shop) would fix them for about $400, but will not accept a lower price. On the one hand the '04 appeals to me because I'd know things were newly replaced with genuine parts and I'd have lower mileage. I'm going to see though if I can get service history on the '06 and if so... low ball 'em anyway because of the mileage . , don't judge!

Doug C

Wear and tear happens, but these things are so easy to fix, why anyone selling them with those flaws is beyond me. Tells me there might be other points of neglect too, like nsjames said.

Don't fear the mileage, and do a test drive.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

Well, if you insist on buying one of these two milers, take each one on a one hour test drive to see how the transmission is (they take up to 30 minutes before a bad one can act up) and test the AWD on both to see if it's functioning.

Dang it, according to Edmunds the '06 models do not have sun/moon roofs (except ocean race version)... I am a big fan of sunroofs so that sucks and will come into play.

On another note.. there are two XC70's being sold as a pair local to me at a yard. A burgandy '04 w/156K, a bad engine but BRAND NEW transmission (not rebuilt), good title and also a black '02 w/147K that supposedly has a good engine but a rebuilt title. This was a project someone changed their mind on I guess. Anyway, both cars listed for $1100 for the set. I've reached out to the seller but no reply so far. I don't mind a project and am capable of completeing it however I do already have a '71 1800E project underway that I'm knee deep in, so a nice car that was ready to go or near it, would be welcomed. BTW - which ever XC I get will be a project too, you know create more of a sport utility vehicle out of it, than the soccer mom grocery getter image that they do so well.. just not all at once.

Doug C

Of course they have moonroofs. If it has leather, it has a moonroof (premium pkg).
      Not "standard" on any year but it's hard to find one without it!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Of course they have moonroofs. If it has leather, it has a moonroof (premium pkg).
      Not "standard" on any year but it's hard to find one without it!
      Well I found one. Not sure why Edmunds would specify only the ocean race color as having sunroof in '06 (specifically) but whatever, doesn't matter. This silver '06 w/234K does not have one, which may be a deal breaker .. but on the positive, according to the current owner it did come from a large Volvo dealership back in January. Doesn't that show that it's Volvo Certified (for whatever that's worth)? He suggested I contact the dealership for a service history when I asked about maintenance and receipts etc.

Doug C

Certified used cars are for the 2nd buyer on cars with under 100K miles and under 6 years old so don't worry about it.
      If it has leather then it was a special moonroof delete order...also forgot about Edmunds.com.

Edmunds is not the place to learn about specific used cars as they have more mistakes on their site than a giant jar of M&Ms! More or less of a joke now.
      They used to be OK about 10 years ago but now I can't even remember the last time I ever looked at it.

As for an Ocean Race, STANDARD is a special BLUE with silver side moldings, a O/R side emblem, a numbered plaque on the glovebox door,a different color leather AND cloth interior, along with your moonroof, 17" wheels and tires, speed sensitive steering, power folding side mirrors along with some other odd options.
      They only made 500 of them, all numbered. Maybe less than 1/2 are left now so again, don't concern yourself with an Ocean Race you don't see them every day and you may never see one in person.

THIS is an Ocean Race I bought and sold about 5 years ago (and I should have kept it for myself)!
      Last edited by JRL; 04-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.

THIS is an Ocean Race I bought and sold about 5 years ago (and I should have kept it for myself)!
      No doubt, you should have kept it .. I love those !! I knew what the ocean race cars were but not some of those small details, so thanks.

Doug C

Another:

A 06 I drove for a year or so had no moonroof, (cheap to buy and I didn't care). It was a OSD, special order with the 850 Dolby and a real odd bunch of other options).
      I lowered it a bit with some other mods, (Polestar tune, etc).
      A FL XC with VERY low miles, 57K when I bought it! ). I installed the small mirrors, looked 1000 times better.

Two things: Do you have the paint code for the Ocean Race blue (I was considering Rebel Blue XC70!).... and, what are those mirrors off of (I agree an improvement!).

Doug C

Standard V70 or S60 mirrors
      I can get it tomorrow but I'm sure someone will answer you later.
      I suggest you start a new thread with that title (Paint code needed)

Ocean Race paint code #458
      2007 V70R GT Electric Silver/Nordkap
      2005 XC70 It's got HIDs yo.

In my ongoing quest for a cheaply priced XC70, I've come across a Dark Brown (Java?) (looks like a solid color in pics) V70 XC from '01. It has dark brown leather in good condition (I actually kind of like the combo, though I haven't seen it before), with 163K miles on the clock. The owner tells me that there is a problem with a transmission sensor... is he blowing smoke or is there a common problem with transmission sensors in '01s? I know ETM are a problem on the '01s - would that seems to be a tranmission issue (to the uninitiated)? - how much is the fix if that is a problem? thanks.

Doug C

01 transmissions are crap.
      I will not go into all the reasons why as it has been documented now for 15 odd years. This XC will probably need a transmission!

Here, read and educate yourself on 2001's, Yes, Java Brown and dark brown leather is a very rare color combo and nice:
      https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=9&t=75828

(BTW, I was the BETA tester for the stop/neutral removal software in the US ).

A 06 I drove for a year or so had no moonroof, (cheap to buy and I didn't care). It was a OSD, special order with the 850 Dolby and a real odd bunch of other options).
      I lowered it a bit with some other mods, (Polestar tune, etc).
      Man, I wish I could've found a V70 with no moonroof when I was looking to buy. I never open them, and I just love the look of a slick top. It was a good looking car, JRL. I never really paid attention to how much of a difference the mirrors can make to the overall look of a car. Interesting.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements