Vibration when turning wheel; car stationary or low speed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vibration when turning wheel; car stationary or low speed

Back in late December my car started giving a "vibration feel" when turning the wheel. It was really bad at first, I I stopped driving the car and took it to the deal ASAP for review.

Of course... no issue found. Took the car back and no issues, just like they said. On and off since that time - the issue comes and goes. It is also not as violent or pronounced as before, but still plenty noticeable when it happens.

Anyone have this issue before? Cause?

I've scoped the forums and seem a few others having issues with the suspension, but when I check the components/do some tests to validate cause, everything checks out with my quick and dirty tests. Could be the parts won't show signs of defects until disassembled and the system is not under tension from the springs...

I'm planning to head back to the dealer for another look, just hoping to come armed with a little guidance for them so they don't start "guessing" to fix the problem... that adds up quickly.

My best guess at this point in the spring on the passenger slide of the car is slipping in the spring seat/plate (not sure of the exact term used).

I do have one of the few cars with the 4C chassis, but I doubt that is a contributing factor.

63,000 miles on the car - I don't put that many miles on per year.

How long are the 4C shocks good for? Might be worth replacing them if they are nearing end-of-life and they are tearing up the suspension. They still feel very, very firm in advanced mode, although I'm sure they have decreased in performance. I'm not sure if they electronics compensate for wear or not. If they compensate, it would make sense to run them longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What year?
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by s6013t5 View Post
      What year?
      Sorry - 2011 model year. One of the earliest cars off of the production line - in the 6000's for chassis number in the VIN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like there are two TSB's for steering issues on a 2011. One is a service campaign. It wouldnt hurt to call a dealer and see if the details of the campaign math yours. The nhtsa website is very vague, sorry I cant be of more help.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by s6013t5 View Post
      Looks like there are two TSB's for steering issues on a 2011. One is a service campaign. It wouldnt hurt to call a dealer and see if the details of the campaign math yours. The nhtsa website is very vague, sorry I cant be of more help.
      Good info. I'll look that one up!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements