Best Shift points for fuel economy T5 5SPD?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Best Shift points for fuel economy T5 5SPD?

Hi,

I sorta got curious recently on what might be the best shift points in order to get the best fuel economy, and also to prevent any possible damage from lugging the engine? Currently, I usually shift at about 2.5k RPM for every gear except going from 4th to 5th, where usually that will happen somewhere in between 2k and 2300.

Usually car manufactures specify this in the manual, but I couldn't find anything about it. I know majority of the fuel economy aspect will come from how much gas I give it to get to those rpm's, but ignoring that, what seems to be the best range to shift at?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I usually at shift 2k but I have the 2.4 N/A tho
      Last edited by Sean1491; 04-17-2017 at 09:29 PM.

A T5 is not meant to a hypermiler considering all the power is on the high end... but try shifting at 3K (using a light foot of course).
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      A T5 is not meant to a hypermiler considering all the power is on the high end... but try shifting at 3K (using a light foot of course).
      There is plenty of power down low from the turbo. I mean, it makes max torque at 2400 rpm (according to the good ol' internet). I get that the T5 is geared more toward the performance aspect instead of fuel savings, but that's one of the benefits of the 5 SPD, being able to control both, and fairly well too.

With my driving habits right now, I usually see around 28 mpg combined city and highway. Just city driving is usually around 21-22, which I guess is as good as one can expect, I was just looking for any other's input.

A somewhat related but unrelated question, did any 02 model cars have data statics available in the message center? (average and instant fuel economy, miles till empty, etc.)? Because I am still trying to figure out to this day if my turn signal stalk info selection ring (sorry, I have no idea what else to call it) is either not working correctly, or my car just doesn't have that feature. I have never been able to see any stats or anything in the message center besides actual messages. When I turn the ring, it just automatically turns the message center display to display nothing.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements