From a C30 to a V60 owner
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

From a C30 to a V60 owner

Hi everyone,

I'm proud to say that I took delivery of a gently used, 2015 V60 in Caspian Blue. The car only had 25K kms on it and so it was a great deal.
      I'm loving the V60 and it's a huge step up from my 2007 C30.

Of course, no new car delivery is without disappointments.
      For me, it was the realization that my car did not come with dual xenon lights as my dealer claimed. I saw the car during the day and due to urgency I purchased it that same day. I had asked my dealer if the car comes with xenon and active bending lights. I was told that it did.
      I took his word on it. When I started the car in the evening I noticed that it indeed had halogen only lights. After doing a bit of research trying to figure out if I didn't have the right settings I discovered what the xenon projector is supposed to look like...and what I had wasn't it

I sent an email off to the dealer but I don't know what can be done. Had I known in the first place that this car didn't have Xenons I would have purchased another used car from a different dealer. That car had more mileage on it but I didn't mind because it had more of the features that I wanted.

Can this car be retrofitted with dual xenons or can it only be installed at the factory?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I believe the wiring may be different. The headlights are easy to swap, about a minute to pull out and swap. Go back to the dealer, have the pull out a HID headlight, plug it in and see if it works. Not sure if a software update is needed.

Thanks Chris.

I actually called the dealership today and they said that installing Xenons would be in the thousands of dollars. Part of the cost is in the new wiring that needs to go in.
      I'm now looking at putting in different H11 bulbs. I will have to live with non xenons for the foreseeable future.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm in the same boat, halogens suck. I keep thinking, surely it cant be much more than swapping in the new headlight assembly.

But its the active bending and auto dimming where problems arise. Height alignment is done manually on the Halogen models (via the switch in the cabin), this must play hell when trying to install the automatic adjusting headlights

I want to go to a wrecker and just try it for myself.
      2015 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

If you're handy, I highly recommend the morimoto d2s 4.0 retrofit kit from theretrofitsource dot com.

Took me a full weekend, but VERY happy with the results in my xc!
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

There's another thread with someone trying a 'plug-and-play' Xenon headlight swap with used units from an XC60. The issues were software and wiring, as Volvo doesn't seem to 'pre-wire' any feature or option any more. That said, if you can get good used units it might be worth tackling the wiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Thank you everyone for their replies.

I'm not considering the GTR Lighting Gen 3 Ultra Series LED bulbs. I've been doing some research and apparently they've managed to create an LED bulb that very closely matches the shape, size, directionality of the OEM filament. What this means is that apparently the beam pattern of this LED is very close to the halogen bulbs. I know that in the past you would get very strange beam patterns when putting leds into a reflector system.

Does anyone have any experience with the GTR Gen 3? I'm also slightly concerned that is has a colour temp of 6000K

Congrats on your new V60! Sorry about the headlight confusion. Unfortunately most of these sales guys don't know half of what they should, I know mine didn't. Strange he didn't bother to check the options list for you, just assumed the car had the xenons. Hope you work out the lighting and enjoy the car!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      If you're handy, I highly recommend the morimoto d2s 4.0 retrofit kit from theretrofitsource dot com.

Took me a full weekend, but VERY happy with the results in my xc!
      Northwest, I did the Morimoto ds2 retrofit from The Retrofit Source myself on an '08 Tacoma, and the results were fantastic - better than some stock xenon systems I've seen. A lot of the Tacoma guys do this, so there were several DIYs online to cover the process. Did you find an online DIY for your retrofit or did you just figure it out as you went. I think having done it once, I'd be comfortable tackling it again, but for the Tacoma, there was some trimming of the d2s pieces to make it fit perfectly. Is this a straightforward bolt-in for the stock XC60 housings, or did you have to modify anything? Any pics of the process or finished results?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Congrats on your new V60! Sorry about the headlight confusion. Unfortunately most of these sales guys don't know half of what they should, I know mine didn't. Strange he didn't bother to check the options list for you, just assumed the car had the xenons. Hope you work out the lighting and enjoy the car!
      You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, lots of people in auto sales will do whatever they can to get you through the door and into a car. They'll tell you whatever they think you want to hear, and if you catch them in a lie, or making an error, they'll back pedal if they have to once they already have their hooks in you. It could have been an honest mistake, but there's a good chance he's playing dumb after having systematically misled you up to the point that you signed on the dotted line.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 04-20-2017 at 11:17 AM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, lots of people in auto sales will do whatever they can to get you through the door and into a car. They'll tell you whatever they think you want to hear, and if you catch them in a lie, or making an error, they'll back pedal if they have to once they already have their hooks in you. It could have been an honest mistake, but there's a good chance he's playing dumb after having systematically misled you up to the point that you signed on the dotted line.
      I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but then Volvo does like to mix up their option packages from year-to-year, so a less than committed sales guy could easily mix up option pkg specifics by year. But true, there are some scoundrels out there.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

"Xenons? Oh yeah sure it has xenons! Come on down!!"
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 04-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Junior Member Idontlikemakingnames's Avatar
      Any issues with the electrical system? I've been wanting to do this on my V60 but I don't want to break anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikemakingnames View Post
      Any issues with the electrical system? I've been wanting to do this on my V60 but I don't want to break anything.
      If you are asking about the wiring for the Morimoto d2s retrofit: I had no wiring issues on the retrofit I did on my Toyota Tacaoma. The kit comes with a wiring harness and ballasts that you mount in the engine compartment. The wiring harness is very simple and easy to install (I know enough about wiring to be dangerous, and had no problem installing it). One of the inputs to the wiring harness is one of the plugs that used to go into the back of your old Halogen headlight (the plug that used to go to the headlight bulb now goes into the retrofit harness to tell the light when to come on), so your headlight switch works just like stock - and I believe that any "auto-on" functions would be retained. I don't know about auto-leveling/adaptive functions on a Volvo, however. I suspect if your car has that feature for halogens, you'd loose that function if you did a retrofit. And a bonus to the retrofit is that if you choose to, you can paint part or all of the chrome inside the housing black and/or tint/remove amber reflectors, add halos, etc, etc. Hopefully NorthwestMoose can confirm about any auto-leveling features...

Quote Originally Posted by AVolvoinToronto View Post
      Thank you everyone for their replies.

I'm not considering the GTR Lighting Gen 3 Ultra Series LED bulbs. I've been doing some research and apparently they've managed to create an LED bulb that very closely matches the shape, size, directionality of the OEM filament. What this means is that apparently the beam pattern of this LED is very close to the halogen bulbs. I know that in the past you would get very strange beam patterns when putting leds into a reflector system.

Does anyone have any experience with the GTR Gen 3? I'm also slightly concerned that is has a colour temp of 6000K
      Someone showed me a LED option from a company called JW Speaker, apparently they have the same thought process with trying to match OEM fitment. I saw them installe din an old Merc and they looked pretty good, nowhere near as much glare as i was led to believe.

Australia has some pretty strict laws on this, so i'd rather not risk it until we have ADR approval (Australian Design Regulation)
      2015 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

Typical car dealer BS. I've had a really bad experience with BMW and I'm going to try and stick with lightly used, ideally private party sales in the future. My Volvo sale experience was fine, though.

I've read elsewhere that the Sylvania Silverstars are a good, easy option for improving the headlights. Personally I found that adjusting the halogen headlight beam height was all I needed. When I initially bought the car, nighttime visibility was absolutely horrible. With the beams raised slightly, it's totally fine and I rarely need high beams anymore.

AFAIK there is no auto levelling on the stock halogen lamps. There are screws where you can manually aim the headlights and that functionality is retained.

The morimoto kit is plug and play from a wiring standpoint (just make sure you order the H11 Canbus harness where you specify your connectors).

One of my igniters was bad in the kit, so I could only get one side to light up at a time on the weekend when I was doing the install, which added an extra layer of difficulty.

Getting the lights open was by far the hardest part, followed by aiming, followed by diagnostic work to figure out which part (eventually figured out it was the igniter). The wiring was probably the easiest part actually!
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

AFAIK there is no auto levelling on the stock halogen lamps. There are screws where you can manually aim the headlights and that functionality is retained.

The morimoto kit is plug and play from a wiring standpoint (just make sure you order the H11 Canbus harness where you specify your connectors).

One of my igniters was bad in the kit, so I could only get one side to light up at a time on the weekend when I was doing the install, which added an extra layer of difficulty.

Getting the lights open was by far the hardest part, followed by aiming, followed by diagnostic work to figure out which part (eventually figured out it was the igniter). The wiring was probably the easiest part actually!
      Do you have any pictures?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I've got plenty of pics on my phone, but none posted anywhere to share yet, sorry!

Here's a youtube vid that I used for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=eQgDh04DHFk

DIY procedure is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcNgv0q9rsg

I skipped the halo rings, etc. I wanted mine to look as close to stock as possible to avoid any troubles with DOT/state patrol.

At some point I should probably post pics/review/diy tips, just never got around to it. Ask away with the questions!

I've got plenty of pics on my phone, but none posted anywhere to share yet, sorry!

Here's a youtube vid that I used for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=eQgDh04DHFk

DIY procedure is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcNgv0q9rsg

I skipped the halo rings, etc. I wanted mine to look as close to stock as possible to avoid any troubles with DOT/state patrol.

At some point I should probably post pics/review/diy tips, just never got around to it. Ask away with the questions!
      Thanks a lot! I remember seeing that video a long time ago but I never tried it because I didn't know how to do any of the wiring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Wiring is completely plug and play...no splicing, crimping or cutting (of wires) required.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements