T8 fuel consumption
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 23 of 23
    1. #1

      T8 fuel consumption

      Hi all,

      I've had an issue for the first time yesterday with a 1-year old T8. Was cruising for a a tad less than a couple of hours at 80m/h for about 150 miles. I fully refuelled the tank when leaving and ended up with an empty tank. Had to refill 13 gallons. Was driving on pilot assist with no air conditioning and no outside addins (caravan, roof racks or whatsoever). I was pretty surprised to have such consumption. I checked underneath the tank and did not see any leakage at all. Would any of you have any idea how this happened?

      Thanks all,
      JC

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,219
      Quote Originally Posted by FrogsLondon View Post
      Hi all,

      I've had an issue for the first time yesterday with a 1-year old T8. Was cruising for a a tad less than a couple of hours at 80m/h for about 150 miles. I fully refuelled the tank when leaving and ended up with an empty tank. Had to refill 13 gallons. Was driving on pilot assist with no air conditioning and no outside addins (caravan, roof racks or whatsoever). I was pretty surprised to have such consumption. I checked underneath the tank and did not see any leakage at all. Would any of you have any idea how this happened?

      Thanks all,
      JC
      Even with AWD or Power mode you shouldn't experience such poor efficiency unless you're going up hill the whole way. Maybe you had manually shifted to a less than optimal gear? Did you notice the engine revving higher than normal as if you were in the wrong gear? .

    4. #3
      Junior Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      149
      That's heavy consumption. Even with my aggressive driving occasionally in Power mode and driving at 130KM/Hand overtaking at 150-160KM/H, I averaged 12-14L/100KM. Yours at 22.78L/100KM is way excessive
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      South Africa
      Posts
      7
      I am 2 weeks into owning my T8 and have been wondering about consumption on the ICE myself - real-time consumption on the display spikes to 25L/100km.

      I was assuming it's mainly my 'fun with new car' driving style but with your comments I am going to have to monitor this...

      Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

    7. #5
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,219
      Quote Originally Posted by regardtv View Post
      I am 2 weeks into owning my T8 and have been wondering about consumption on the ICE myself - real-time consumption on the display spikes to 25L/100km.

      I was assuming it's mainly my 'fun with new car' driving style but with your comments I am going to have to monitor this...

      Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      The real-time/instant fuel consumption is really pointless for calculating efficiency over time. It's too hard to monitor it and perform that kind of analysis in your head. Even the consumption logged in the Driver Performance app has issues of being reset to zero for some people. The driving journal feature which allows you to export the data for each trip to Excel through Volvo On Call is far more useful and reliable in my experience.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      South Africa
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      The real-time/instant fuel consumption is really pointless for calculating efficiency over time. It's too hard to monitor it and perform that kind of analysis in your head. Even the consumption logged in the Driver Performance app has issues of being reset to zero for some people. The driving journal feature which allows you to export the data for each trip to Excel through Volvo On Call is far more useful and reliable in my experience.
      Sadly those features are not available in the South African market.

      For now I will be tracking km vs litres poured - but the electric component will obviously skew the numbers (part of why I went T8). It just does feel like the petrol engine is guzzling a tad more than I'd have expected

      Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

    9. #7
      Over 5k KM our T8 showed an average of 8.2L/100Km - A LOT of this was driving in PURE mode and we had varied weather conditions with a bunch of 150Km+ runs and regular 70-80Km runs with 2 adults and 3 kids + car seats.

      I have reset the clock and since then over around 200Km it's at 6.6L/100Km but again mostly in Hybrid / PURE.

      I got Polestar a few weeks ago and I'll be honest, it's difficult to drive conservatively
      MY17 XC90 T8 R-design in bursting blue, Xenium, Winter and Family packs, Carbon Fibre Inlays + Carplay

    10. #8
      averaged 7.2l/100lm ICE only highway driving with my T8. it's 300km drive btw.

    11. #9
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,219
      Quote Originally Posted by regardtv View Post
      For now I will be tracking km vs litres poured - but the electric component will obviously skew the numbers (part of why I went T8).
      A tried and true method even for hybrids. Some here have taken to using an online fuel consumption tracker called fuelly.com. Not sure if it's available in your market but you might want to check it out.

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Europe
      Posts
      10
      11.5L/100 with my T8 on a 800km trip, with aloaded car at 150KM/h
      9L/100 with empty car for about 120km with loaded battery

      I will have to mention it to the dealer, on the other side i only have 2500Km total
      Last edited by Viking42; 04-19-2017 at 03:00 AM.

    13. #11
      Junior Member JES1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      46
      I've never been close to the figures of the OP, but what I did notice is the fuel consumption improved significantly when the odometer hit around 8000km. I'm driving on the same highway, and where my consumption (in power mode) used to be around 8,5l/100km, it's now at around 7l/100km! Pretty consistently too. Never seeing the old figures anymore. Not that I'm complaining, but how is such an improvement even possible, everything else being the same? ?

    14. #12
      I kind of wish they separated out the ODO between the two motors. If you're mostly doing electric which it seems like a lot of city dwellers are you're not running in the ICE. If you knew you only had 500km on the ICE you could easily spend a bit of time getting it up to 3 or 4k KM / Miles to ensure it's run in to get the best milage.

      Currently I'd say I have 8000 KM of electric and around 12,000 KM of petrol on the car but that is mostly a guess. I extrapolated our daily commute which is all electric + run around distances and then what ever was left was petrol.

      I've done lots of motorway driving at 140-150Km/h in sport mode and I don't see anything close to 7l/100!
      MY17 XC90 T8 R-design in bursting blue, Xenium, Winter and Family packs, Carbon Fibre Inlays + Carplay

    15. #13
      Junior Member JES1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      46
      Should probably explain... This is a stretch of motorway going into a large city in Sweden, so the speed limit is between 80-110 km/h. Probably around 90km/h on average. I can easily achieve around 7l/100km at that speed, even in power mode, which surprises me. It's consistent with what I see at the gas pump too!

    16. #14
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      1,058
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      A tried and true method even for hybrids. Some here have taken to using an online fuel consumption tracker called fuelly.com. Not sure if it's available in your market but you might want to check it out.
      ^ www.fuelly.com It sure beats pen and paper and you can compare with similar models and drivetrains - albeit manual.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

    17. #15
      Junior Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by regardtv View Post
      I am 2 weeks into owning my T8 and have been wondering about consumption on the ICE myself - real-time consumption on the display spikes to 25L/100km.

      I was assuming it's mainly my 'fun with new car' driving style but with your comments I am going to have to monitor this...

      Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      25L/ 100KM is instantaneous fuel consumption and not the real one. 25 is the max for Volvo but other cars can go all the way to 99L/100KM. This simply says at that gear and at that acceleration, you'd be consuming much more fuel in a shorter distance.

      Don't take it to heart. It's the same as the Hybrid battery saying 0L/ 100KM. that doesn't mean that's the average you've done but simply saying at that speed and conditions, you'll use no fuel.

      I've heard others saying set your Driver Performance tracking to 100KM. Try that, though I';ve never had any issues with my readings, whether I set it to 1KM, 10 or 100KM, it reads correctly and almost the same. The only difference is the size of the bar graphs which are more sensitive to movements on lower settings.

      Welcome aboard
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      South Africa
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by shortword View Post
      I have reset the clock and since then over around 200Km it's at 6.6L/100Km but again mostly in Hybrid / PURE.
      I got Polestar a few weeks ago and I'll be honest, it's difficult to drive conservatively
      I must admit the Polestar on my 2017 R-Design T8 does make it a little difficult to maintain a 'sane' driving mode... that being said I've paid specific attention to consumption of late and its not too great at all currently.

      I must admit the comments around running in the ICE does strike true -- I really shouldn't be worried about average economy this early in the vehicle life.. its just when comparing to a colleague's brand new Volvo D5 (yes I expect they'd have better) -- but his D5 is worlds better with the same mileage.

      Apologies to the OP for the partial thread hijack ;-)

    19. #17
      Sorry for my lack of follow-up and thanks all for your replies.

      No, I was in B mode. I thought about the revving up in poor gear or an issue with the transmission and shifted on the motorway to D and back to B, shifted down once to ensure that I was in 8 speed. I did not want to worry so far and have plenty of long forthcoming trips to see if this was a one-off or if this is a recurring issue.

    20. #18
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,219
      Quote Originally Posted by FrogsLondon View Post
      Sorry for my lack of follow-up and thanks all for your replies.

      No, I was in B mode. I thought about the revving up in poor gear or an issue with the transmission and shifted on the motorway to D and back to B, shifted down once to ensure that I was in 8 speed. I did not want to worry so far and have plenty of long forthcoming trips to see if this was a one-off or if this is a recurring issue.
      For most people, the most efficient gear selector positions are D and B and not the numbered gears. This is because when in a mode like Hybrid or Pure, there is no explicit RPM gauge with numbers and you may not be able to otherwise tell/feel if you're in the right gear over road noise and/or media that is playing. Also, the difference between D and B is that B is more aggressive at electric regeneration which has a noticeable impact on coasting when the accelerator is not depressed. It is similar to engine braking.

    21. #19
      Junior Member tillsbury's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      New Zealand
      Posts
      228
      I have noticed that the economy of the T8 increased dramatically after the first few hundred km, perhaps this is a "wearing in" issue. The indicated consumption (keep an eye on the TA one which is handy for trips like this: press the menu on the steering wheel and down-arrow six times) is very slightly low, about 5-10% too optimistic on my car compared with actual figures obtained through fuelly. I'm now averaging around 5l/100k overall long-term, but the car says nearer 4.5

    22. #20
      Junior Member Aw9nineteen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      239
      Quote Originally Posted by regardtv View Post
      I am 2 weeks into owning my T8 and have been wondering about consumption on the ICE myself - real-time consumption on the display spikes to 25L/100km.

      I was assuming it's mainly my 'fun with new car' driving style but with your comments I am going to have to monitor this...

      Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      Yea I posted about this before. I felt like if I never charged the car, my fuel efficiency was under 20mpg. And my travel is mostly highway


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    23. #21
      With regards to the immediate consumption figures, I am quite astonished when individual mode is selected (just to show the RPM gauge) that when the engine does 3K RPM it shows 25l/100km (ie the max). That really surprises me. Large engines usually have the capacity at low revs to consume a lot less than smaller one at the same speed.

    24. #22
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,219
      Quote Originally Posted by FrogsLondon View Post
      With regards to the immediate consumption figures, I am quite astonished when individual mode is selected (just to show the RPM gauge) that when the engine does 3K RPM it shows 25l/100km (ie the max). That really surprises me. Large engines usually have the capacity at low revs to consume a lot less than smaller one at the same speed.
      FYI, if you see a numbered RPM gauge when in Individual mode, then you have selected a drivetrain setting based on AWD or Power modes which use the ICE constantly. If you use Pure or Hybrid as the base drivetrain for Individual mode, you'll see the same hybrid tachometer that doesn't have numbers for the RPM but shows when you transition from electric to ICE.

    25. #23
      Junior Member Aw9nineteen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      239
      Quote Originally Posted by FrogsLondon View Post
      With regards to the immediate consumption figures, I am quite astonished when individual mode is selected (just to show the RPM gauge) that when the engine does 3K RPM it shows 25l/100km (ie the max). That really surprises me. Large engines usually have the capacity at low revs to consume a lot less than smaller one at the same speed.
      I had wondered about this too. A V6 or V8 at low revs should use less fuel than a 4cyl


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    26. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements