T5 engine impulse buy
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

T5 engine impulse buy

So this weekend i picked up a complete b5234t3 out of an 01 v70 t5. It had junkyard markings already and it looked like whoever did the swap hacked through it but it did run. I haven't seen many t5's around here, and it was only $300 so i went for it.

Looking it over i found that the turbo needs a rebuild, theres a clicking sound coming from the vvt hub, and the timing belt is showing its age. Compression feels good turning by hand and the pistons didn't look damaged but 2 & 3 did look a little steam cleaned, maybe the start of a bad head gasket?

With unknown service history and mileage, i'd like to check all the clearances and see if its worth using or if i should part it out. Is there anywhere i can get a list of all the specs for one of these? Are there any common failure points i should check first?

I'll poat some pics when i get a chance to take them, as always the help is appreciated.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For $300 bucks that's pretty good...why not build a sweet motor over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k
      IG: psychocross_v70

That was the plan if it checks out, i'm just worried about worn out journals and stuff like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dad_Jazz View Post
      That was the plan if it checks out, i'm just worried about worn out journals and stuff like that.

If you're pulling the motor apart to build it why not just replace it all?

Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k

Quote Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
      If you're pulling the motor apart to build it why not just replace it all?

I'm open to ideas, honestly i didn't really have a plan. What would you replace if you were doing the work?

For a JY motor personally almost everything. Especially if you want to run higher boost. Either a fresh rebuild in the garage or rework everything while you have it all open

Started the teardown today and it looks a little sludgey near the back for some reason, maybe its due to how the oil flows in these?

Cams look a little worn, not sure if this is typical wear or not.

I was thinking of picking up the uk haynes manual to guide me. Hopefully it will have the tolerances i need.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements