Groan/Growl noise right at 1200 RPM
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Groan/Growl noise right at 1200 RPM

Hello!

My '06 XC70 (142,000 miles) has developed a groan/growl noise that occurs right at 1200 RPM. I can hear at in Park and when driving. The sound doesn't occur at any other RPM, and it's not loud. All the fluids look good. The dealer has done the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and angle gear. I just changed the fuel pressure sensor. Both of the engine torque rods have been replaced in the last few years. I had wondered about the lower engine pad mount but I seem to recall those are noisy at all RPM's when they collapse, and they are much noisier when it's cold out. The sound seems to have no effect on drivability and I don't really feel a vibration from it.

The only thing I can think of is an accessory pulley bearing going bad or some type of resonsance somewhere? There is a slight tapping coming from the rear muffler but I can't see how that would be related. Anyone had a similar sound?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Look at the right lower engine mount, they tend to make contact with the subframe at specific rpm levels and create a funny noise.

+1
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements