Short-Term Memory Seats
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Short-Term Memory Seats

Hey All!

I've got a 2008 C70, 93k miles now. (Do you think it'd also be ok to post this on the S40/V50 forum too, since our platforms are basically the same?)

I've got the memory and power seats in my car. I have my three memory buttons set to three different positions:

Setting 1: A more upright and forward position I use in the city. It's easier for me to see the traffic around me, which I find more comfortable during my city driving
      Setting 2: same as setting one, but with the side mirrors angled down, for assistance backing into parking spaces.
      Setting 3: A more laid back position, a little further back from the steering wheel. I use this one when I've got the top down and am driving

My issue is that Settings 1 and 3 work fine until I turn the car off. Then Setting 3 no longer works the next time I get in it. Setting 2 seems to be unaffected. Has anyone else encountered an issue like this or have any insight into what I could look at?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not 100% sure of this answer, but do you have the keyless system (black button on door handle)? If so does this also happen if you use the other (second) key to start the car (assuming you still have it)?

In some cars seat memory and other settings (including power mirrors) are tied to the key you use. In this way each keyholder can have their custom settings put in place when they use the car. Again, I'm not sure this is what you need, but I would give it a try.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

I wonder if the memory is contained within the switch unit? I don't think there's a separate seat module as far as I can tell. My daughter's driver seat has intermittently not been working and finally died. I took it out of the car and took it out to look at it. Inside there is a full circuit board. Before I order a new one I'm going to look at a few other things. The switch units are about $130 new on line.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Post Locking and seating

Quote Originally Posted by Carondelet View Post
      Hey All!

I've got a 2008 C70, 93k miles now. (Do you think it'd also be ok to post this on the S40/V50 forum too, since our platforms are basically the same?)

I've got the memory and power seats in my car. I have my three memory buttons set to three different positions:

Setting 1: A more upright and forward position I use in the city. It's easier for me to see the traffic around me, which I find more comfortable during my city driving
      Setting 2: same as setting one, but with the side mirrors angled down, for assistance backing into parking spaces.
      Setting 3: A more laid back position, a little further back from the steering wheel. I use this one when I've got the top down and am driving

My issue is that Settings 1 and 3 work fine until I turn the car off. Then Setting 3 no longer works the next time I get in it. Setting 2 seems to be unaffected. Has anyone else encountered an issue like this or have any insight into what I could look at?
      Apr 20, 2017

Your key is set to the seat position you choose when you lock the car and that key is in position 2 on the ignition switch or the car is on.
      Set your memory 3 the way you like it. Take the key out of the ignition - get out and lock the car.
      When you unlock the car that will be the memory position for that key.
      Check it out. Move the seat to where you want it and set another memory position (not 3). No key in ignition. lock the car with the other key.
      When you unlock the car with the 1st key the seat will automatically move to position 3 - the one you first set up.
      Every time you lock the car with a different memory position and that key was in the ignition then whenever you unlock the car it will go to that position. I know it is crazy!
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis
      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

Man I love this forum! Much thanks to the three of you for helping out here.

I'll try fooling around with the key today after work. I only use one key (the spare just sits un-used in the key bowl) and piddle around with the seat position, ignition, and locking the car.

If that doesn't work, I'll look into a switch unit. Provided the switch unit is not correlated to the key, I can easily pull one off of a salvage car.

Thanks again!!! You three have been EXTREMELY helpful!

Man I love this forum! Much thanks to the three of you for helping out here.

I'll try fooling around with the key today after work. I only use one key (the spare just sits un-used in the key bowl) and piddle around with the seat position, ignition, and locking the car.

If that doesn't work, I'll look into a switch unit. Provided the switch unit is not correlated to the key, I can easily pull one off of a salvage car.

Thanks again!!! You three have been EXTREMELY helpful!
      I wish I had a salvage yard nearby that I could pull one from. I've seen a few used ones on eBay and will have to check again. I know the c30 and c70 use the same one. I'm not sure about other volvos yet. I've downloaded the wiring diagram PDF. But haven't had a chance to study it. I've got to check that I have power to the seat. The fuse has power. Unfortunately my daughter tends to be gone to work, college or BFs when I have a chance to work on it. At least I finally had a chance to r&r the abs unit last weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post
      I wish I had a salvage yard nearby that I could pull one from. I've seen a few used ones on eBay and will have to check again. I know the c30 and c70 use the same one. I'm not sure about other volvos yet. I've downloaded the wiring diagram PDF. But haven't had a chance to study it. I've got to check that I have power to the seat. The fuse has power. Unfortunately my daughter tends to be gone to work, college or BFs when I have a chance to work on it. At least I finally had a chance to r&r the abs unit last weekend...
      Yeah! They don't normally have C70's, but there's usually a selection of S40's from my year range, so it's all good!

Just an update to everyone that helped:

I piddled around with setting the seat positions, turning off the car, then locking it. And it works! Was able to properly set my seat into it's correct locations.

Thanks again to the three of you for your advice!

Yeah! They don't normally have C70's, but there's usually a selection of S40's from my year range, so it's all good!
      Of the places I looked, before I ordered my new seat switch/module, it was listed for either a c70 or c30. Presumably the S40 has a different part number. But I did not cross reference the numbers to be 100% sure as I decided to order a new one instead of used. Externally, they look the same although the programming may be different (possibly because the S40 is a 4 door and I believe the switch/module is tied into more systems than just seat movements, maybe door locks etc.?).

Anyway, the driver seat works again and I will make another thread on point with a couple of pictures explaining so no one will have to do as much Googleing and guessing as I did. I'll update this post with a link to that thread after I start it (hopefully in an hour or so).

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...29#post5341129
      Last edited by rodneygt; 05-03-2017 at 11:26 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements