Washing the top of the car
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Washing the top of the car

I've been hand washing my car for the last few months. Washing the top has been a pain, I've been using a chair to reach the top. How has everyone else been washing the top of the car?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For just the roof, I use this Boairs Hair Brush attached to this extension pole. I do not use the brush for the whole car as even though boairs hair shouldn't leave slight scratches in the clear coat, I find they do. Since the roof is not visible, I don't mind a few up there so this brush works just fine, for me. One tip, leave the brush in a bucket of water a few minutes or half hour before washing, even the day before if you want, doesn't matter. It softens up the bristles and lessens chances or scratching further.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

I'm 6'3" and the top of the car is too high for me too. Here is a link for a work platform that i purchased at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-48...P-30/205009144. It is great! from this I can reach safely front to back to the center of the car.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip paradox. I will probley pass on the boairs brush, i'm afraid of scratches. Costco has this autospa suds ngo wash brush extension kit, with a microfiber wash mitt. I thought the mitt could attach to the brush and my problems would be solved, but it does not.

I'm 5'3 so the top is really high. I will look into that work platform you listed terry.

I too hand wash our cars and use a step stool to get to the top. It is a pain but works!
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /Climate Pkg. /20" Rims
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

I have that same or a VERY similar one that Terry linked to. It works great. I just don't use it to wash the top because my driveway is steep and it's not IMO safe enough to use for my needs. I do use it in the garage though to occasionally use a quick detailer or optimum spray wax on tip of my opticoat. For a flat driveway, I'd definitely go the work platform route.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

Lower the suspension and get a ladder...

Momentum owners can open a door and stand on the sill while holding the rail with one hand and washing with the other. Inscription owners of course don't have that option. You can also buy a long reach mitt such as the one I got at Walmart.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather (scheduled to arrive in port 6/22/17)

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      Momentum owners can open a door and stand on the sill while holding the rail with one hand and washing with the other. Inscription owners of course don't have that option. You can also buy a long reach mitt such as the one I got at Walmart.
      +1 on standing on the sill and holding the rail.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Volvo View Post
      Lower the suspension and get a ladder...
      +1. I use a three-step kitchen-type ladder like this https://www.amazon.com/Finether-Port...+ladder+3+step
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      +1 on standing on the sill and holding the rail.
      + 3/4 (not a full +1) - Before, I was using a long handled brush and then using one of those rubbery drying cloths. It was easy to wash the car while on the ground. Now that I've learned about Optimum NoRinse wash from this forum, I tried it for the first time last weekend. While standing on the door sills and holding onto the rails, I can reach everything except a diamond section just in front of the spoiler LOL. The spoiler, I can get while standing on the ground.

So while I like the Optimum NoRinse system, my car is clean except for that diamond area that I could not reach but was too lazy to go inside and get a step stool LOL.

Hence my +3/4 recommendation since I can't fully reach the whole roof with the door sill method.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      I used to do this with my old car. Then I realised how less accurate one handed washing was. I also managed to get water everywhere because the car was weighed down to one side like this, and ended up breaking the speaker.

I make sure the air suspension is raised up and that gives me enough room to stand on the rear tire. From there, I can reach 80% of the roof. The front, I can get another 10-15% by hand, leaving the small portion at the back of the sunroof in a "meh" scenario that I just leave to the initial soap rinse.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription
      Twilight Bronze w/ Amber Napa Leather

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      +1. I use a three-step kitchen-type ladder like this https://www.amazon.com/Finether-Port...+ladder+3+step

I use a normal DIY 8 step ladder. Initially I wanted to install sidesteps purely for this reason, but my dealership discouraged me from buying the sidestep saying it'll make my car a little ugly, and will limit the car's approach and departure angles and I'll lose some of the Inscription side trims. I thought standing on sidesteps would make life easier, but abandoned the idea.
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

I use a step stool and this brush that I bought at the local auto parts store. I think the brush is intended to clean wheels but I use it to wash the roof as it allows me to reach the entire roof. The pointed end is also great to wash the indents on the Inscription roof rails and the shark fin antenna. I remove the microfiber cover and rinse out the cover and the foam brush when I'm done with the wash and let them air dry. I really like it!

Last edited by maxchi; 04-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.
      Via Dec 2016 OSD: 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue | Amber | Vision | Conv | B&W | 21" Wheels | HUD | Polestar

Got a step stool when I did the whole buffed and CQuartz UK the car. Went well but I had to move it twice per side of the roof. I purchase a boars hair brush and telescoping pole similar to Paradox's for washing the roof. If I'm in a hurry and courageous I might use it for the rest of the car. Will see how it goes since you have to let it soak for 30 minutes before using to soften the bristles...

Truth be told after the first couple of years of ownership with my last SUV I never washed the part of the roof that I couldn't reach from the ground. I just rinse and made sure no bird poop was there. Always buffed and sealed the rest of the car every year and it was shinning like new when I sold it 10 years later. The roof no one notices or looks. Well see how long I wash the roof on this one.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats

lol glad to hear i'm not the only one having issues here. My long term solution was to get PPF and Modesta coated up top. When I foam cannon the top I stand on a step ladder and I use a leaf blower to get the water off.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements