2017 S60 Inscription AWD - Gen 4 or 5?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1

      2017 S60 Inscription AWD - Gen 4 or 5?

      Hey all, I looked through the forums a bit to see if I could figure out which AWD system my 2017 S60 is using. I saw some threads from a few years ago talking about the Haldex Gen4 being used, but then some car blogs said for 2017 perhaps the S60 was upgraded to the Gen5 system? I also saw less reliable information that the xrossdrive from BW/Haldex was potentially in use.

      Anyways, if anyone happens to know for certain which AWD system the 2017 S60 Inscription uses I would love to know

      Additionally - I'm coming from a 2010 Subaru with the viscous coupling AWD system - I live in a snowy climate - am I in for a rough time with this new AWD system, or are the Haldex systems generally OK? (I don't do anything too crazy - just navigating normal roads)

      Thanks!
      Eric

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Across town from ipd
      Posts
      49
      IMO, the Volvo Haldex system is more than adequate in most any winter driving short of extreme snow depth situations.
      We had a Mazda CX-5 which has an amazing predictive AWD system...some would say it's better than Subaru. My guess is that the Volvo system is in the same league for normal winter driving.
      Disclaimer: we install winter tires during the winter months but I've driven an S60 AWD in snow on the all-seasons and was impressed with it's capabilities.
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

    4. #3
      I have no idea which generation Haldex system my 2016 V60 has, but it's definitely a fantastic snow car. I live in New Hampshire and we got a lot of snow this winter. It handled major snowstorms without any problems. My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek and to me there's no noticeable difference between the two. I have Dunlop SP Winter Sport snow tires on my car, and she has General Altimax.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      I've been debating the snow tires. I guess I'll try the all seasons at the start of next winter and if i'm slipping I'll get the snows. Thanks!

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Across town from ipd
      Posts
      49
      Quote Originally Posted by eric_b View Post
      I've been debating the snow tires. I guess I'll try the all seasons at the start of next winter and if i'm slipping I'll get the snows. Thanks!
      The easy way is to get an extra set of wheels for the winter tires. My preference is to go to the smallest rim diameter which will clear the front brakes. I the case of our V60 T5, that was 16". I found a set of factory 16" take-offs from an older Volvo model. The car handles very nicely with 225/65x16 Michelin X-ice tires.
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

    8. #6
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,570
      Quote Originally Posted by eric_b View Post
      Hey all, I looked through the forums a bit to see if I could figure out which AWD system my 2017 S60 is using. I saw some threads from a few years ago talking about the Haldex Gen4 being used, but then some car blogs said for 2017 perhaps the S60 was upgraded to the Gen5 system? I also saw less reliable information that the xrossdrive from BW/Haldex was potentially in use.

      Anyways, if anyone happens to know for certain which AWD system the 2017 S60 Inscription uses I would love to know

      Additionally - I'm coming from a 2010 Subaru with the viscous coupling AWD system - I live in a snowy climate - am I in for a rough time with this new AWD system, or are the Haldex systems generally OK? (I don't do anything too crazy - just navigating normal roads)

      Thanks!
      Eric
      Haldex 5
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    9. #7
      Member KCCM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,297
      Gen V, which is on all recent (2015+?) P2 AWD cars, adds to the same basic mechanical setup as Gen IV more sophisticated electronic controls and integration with ABS, stability control and other automobile sensors and controls. The result is active stability control and traction, with the ability to direct useful torque to an outside rear wheel.
      Lots of fun in a snowy parking lot


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

    10. #8
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,570
      Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Gen V, which is on all recent (2015+?) P2 AWD cars, adds to the same basic mechanical setup as Gen IV more sophisticated electronic controls and integration with ABS, stability control and other automobile sensors and controls. The result is active stability control and traction, with the ability to direct useful torque to an outside rear wheel.
      Lots of fun in a snowy parking lot


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You mean 2014+ P3 cars...
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    11. #9
      Member KCCM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,297
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      You mean 2014+ P3 cars...
      Yes, indeed - still stuck on my previous 'P2' '07 V70R. Believe it had Gen IV, and the ASC handling improvements in my P3 '16 V60 RD (3.0) are significant.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

    12. #10
      Thanks all!!

    13. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements