2008 volvo s40 trunk wont open
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My 2008 volvo s40's trunk wont open. it just stop working and i press the tail gate, it makes noise but latch still attached. does anyone had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

do you have "valet mode" on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I don't think the latch will make any noise / have any reaction when valet mode is on. And to clarify, valet mode is turned on when the glove box is locked using the key from inside the fob.
      2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

this is a common issue, i had it happen to my last S40, the sensor goes out and as far as im concerned i never saw a fix for it other then replacing the whole trunk, that car had a cable in the inside of the trunk to open it from inside manually i just ended up running it over the rear seat as a cheap fix.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Check the wires going into the tailgate inside the rubber. I'm willing to bet one of them is broken

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Either a broken connection in the wiring harness or a faulty trunk switch. I've haven't been able to open my trunk for a few weeks now. Bought a new switch but turns out I had another broken wire (this time closer to the quarter panel).

So let me know if you need a trunk switch. Was going to return to Tasca but can ship elsewhere if someone wants it.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      this is a common issue, i had it happen to my last S40, the sensor goes out and as far as im concerned i never saw a fix for it other then replacing the whole trunk, that car had a cable in the inside of the trunk to open it from inside manually i just ended up running it over the rear seat as a cheap fix.
      There is a fix and you don't have to replace the whole trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
      There is a fix and you don't have to replace the whole trunk.

sweet thats simple enough and i believe that is Part Number: 30753757. love it when we work TOGETHER to figure stuff out

here is a post from another volvo forum where we talked about a similar problem where the latch works but the trunk open light stays on when shut caused by a faulty wiring loom, perhaps this is the same wire other users are having trouble with.
      http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s...n-light-45317/
      Last edited by jondevieonS40; 04-20-2017 at 12:11 AM.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Valet is off. they only way i can open it is through the rear seats and use emergency release.

sweet thats simple enough and i believe that is Part Number: 30753757. love it when we work TOGETHER to figure stuff out

here is a post from another volvo forum where we talked about a similar problem where the latch works but the trunk open light stays on when shut caused by a faulty wiring loom, perhaps this is the same wire other users are having trouble with.
      When i press the trunk button it makes noise but it wont release the latch, only option i have so far is through the back seat and open it using emergency release

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      I don't think the latch will make any noise / have any reaction when valet mode is on. And to clarify, valet mode is turned on when the glove box is locked using the key from inside the fob.
      When i press the trunk button it makes noise but it wont release the latch, only option i have so far is through the back seat and open it using emergency release

Actually that part number is for a V50. The part for S40 sedan should be 30699141
      https://www.google.com/search?q=3069...utf-8&oe=utf-8

It can also be the wiring harness with a different part number, so make sure you know the culprit before replacing. But anyhow, roughly $20 for the said part ^^above^^ is a small amount to risk and can pay off!
      Another guide here for the harness....
      http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208492

Quote Originally Posted by moemack View Post
      Had this exact issue on my s40. Tried switch-nope, tried latch-nope. Ended up a small break in the wiring at the trunk grommet. Just find the break cut it out and use an electrical butt connector as a fix. Then use electrical tape to wrap it up really well. Fix for .50
      Last edited by mercdude; 04-20-2017 at 02:50 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
      Actually that part number is for a V50. The part for S40 sedan should be 30699141
      https://www.google.com/search?q=3069...utf-8&oe=utf-8
      PN:30699141 is for both V50 and S40 variants between 05'-07', he has an 08' so PN: 30753757, also for both V50 and S40 Variants.

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Had this exact issue on my s40. Tried switch-nope, tried latch-nope. Ended up a small break in the wiring at the trunk grommet. Just find the break cut it out and use an electrical butt connector as a fix. Then use electrical tape to wrap it up really well. Fix for .50
      Great i'll try to work on it over this weekend

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements