2012 S60 Engine Problem/Replacement (Warranty Covered It[Damaged Factory Engine???])
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 S60 Engine Problem/Replacement (Warranty Covered It[Damaged Factory Engine???])

Hey everyone... As the title suggests, this is kind of a wonky problem.

I've been lurking here for a while now. Never had any major problems with my S60 until about a month ago. I bought a certified pre-owned (100,000/5 year warranty) 2012 S60 T5 from a Volvo dealership about two years ago with a little over 60,000 miles on it at the time. I put on a Magnoflow muffler, wheels, and a custom grille as my only "modifications." I went on deployment and have only really "used" my S60 for about a year and put about 15,000 miles on it. Everything has been great; no real major issues at all. I take it in to a dealership for scheduled maintenance, I don't beat the car up (other than taking the occasional hard corner), nor do I punch the throttle 100% every chance I get.

One day I was on the interstate and noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. I took the off ramp and slowed down to park. By the time I parked, the engine sounded like a diesel using its jay brake. I'm no mechanic, but I know my way around a car... It needed to be towed to Volvo as there was a major engine malfunction. About a week later I get a call from the service department saying the engine was done and it needed replacing. I didn't ask too many questions, but I'm sure that they didn't tear the engine apart at all. They asked me to provide them with my maintenance receipts so that they can make a claim with the warranty. I provided the receipts and shortly thereafter my new engine was "installed."

However, after the BRAND NEW engine (don't forget, this is a legitimate Volvo dealership) was installed, two of the pistons had bad compression. Two weeks later and we're "waiting" for a head gasket from Sweden. Now I think these guys are starting to yank my chain... A lot. But, They did give me a 2017 S60 loaner that has all the bells and whistles and they're not going to charge me at all for it. So it's kind of hard to complain. But I've been without MY car for over a month now.

Any thoughts? Input? Suggestions?

I've been working with the service dept. manager who waived all of the fees for the loaner car (about $0.50/mile[I've already put on about 1,200 miles!]) and haven't had any real luck. I just want my old car back. I miss five cylinders and a sexy exhaust note.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You're in a free loaner and getting a free repair. Don't worry about it. Sometimes, this sort of thing happens. The shop is probably as perplexed at this as you are.

I've seen 2 new replacement transmissions drive as bad as the one that came out of the car (for the same car). Finally, the third one performed as expected.

Unusual? For sure.
      2007 S40 T5

Above poster nailed it. Be glad you have CPO and a free loaner.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R
      Former: 1996 Bright Red 855R, 2003 Silver V70 T5, 2012 Black Sapphire C30 T5 R-Design 6MT P*

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      You're in a free loaner and getting a free repair. Don't worry about it. Sometimes, this sort of thing happens. The shop is probably as perplexed at this as you are.

I've seen 2 new replacement transmissions drive as bad as the one that came out of the car (for the same car). Finally, the third one performed as expected.

Unusual? For sure.
      +1
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post

Unusual? For sure.
      Exactly. I'm extremely grateful they gave me a free loaner.

The service advisors have rarely communicated with me through this whole thing, so it's a little frustrating.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
      Above poster nailed it. Be glad you have CPO and a free loaner.
      Absolutely. I definitely can't complain about that.

I think the worst part is my nice sunglasses are in the glove compartment and the dealership is over two hours from where I live lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 2012 T5 and rings were replaced at 35k miles -- bad compression. Apparently the non-synthetic oil from the factory and dealer service visits was the cause. Would have preferred a new engine, but car is traded in now for a 2017.

I went full synthetic at my first oil change. Haven't gone back. So when they made full synth mandatory later on, it was no big deal...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements