Accident Damage
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Accident Damage

Accident Damage

Got rear ended last week at a traffic light. Proves once again why I drive a Volvo. My car had little visible damage, although it will cost almost $6,000, mostly because the fiberglass back hatch cracked & needs replacement. The Chevy Traverse that hit me was towed to the junk yard with the entire front end crushed & the radiator pushed all the way into the engine.
      2015.5 XC60 R-Design, Platinum, Climate Pkg, Electric Silver

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow. Sorry you got hit,as that's never fun but sounds like you're ok, and the car can be repaired. Does the hatch come prepainted? Electric silver probably not easy to match.
      Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      Got rear ended last week at a traffic light. Proves once again why I drive a Volvo. My car had little visible damage, although it will cost almost $6,000, mostly because the fiberglass back hatch cracked & needs replacement. The Chevy Traverse that hit me was towed to the junk yard with the entire front end crushed & the radiator pushed all the way into the engine.
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 04-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Volvo for life!
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, sorry for your accident but glad you are okay. What was the cause of the accident? Driver inattention is a huge and growing problem. Combine that with continuing improvements in acceleration and performance in even the most basic economy cars is a recipe for disaster. I also got rear ended a few weeks ago so it's still a little fresh for me - catch myself looking in my rearview mirror longer than usual at every stop light now.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Sorry Man, but glad you're unharmed, and hope the repair makes it as good as new. Wow, thought the rear hatch was aluminum like the hood. Learn something new everyday.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Thanks for the comments. I am not 100% sure but think the hatch does come pre-painted but will require some assembly. I did not realize the hatch was fiberglass either until I saw the damage. I was also cautioned by the body shop that virtually all insurance companies are trying to find used parts &/or repops (non OEM knock offs) in an effort to reduce costs. Fortunately, the adjuster said that it was virtually impossible to find a used or repop hatch for a 2015 Volvo. I would not be happy with that. Don't know if it is true, but someone also said that the value of my car will be reduced because of the accident, no matter how well it is repaired. Anyone have input on that?

We were stopped at a red light. The light changed & traffic started to crawl, then stopped again & the woman just plowed into us. I saw her coming but had nowhere to go. Don't know if she was on a phone, etc but clearly she was not paying close enough attention.

PSA (Public Service Advisory)....Invest in a Dash Cam! Glad you were OK.

Don't know if it is true, but someone also said that the value of my car will be reduced because of the accident, no matter how well it is repaired. Anyone have input on that?
      Look up Inherent Diminished Value. You can file a claim with the other party's insurance. You'll need to prepare though. It takes a bit of work and they will do everything they can to deny it.

2014 XC60 T6 Sport Pkg
      2008 C30 v1 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Voytech View Post
      Look up Inherent Diminished Value. You can file a claim with the other party's insurance. You'll need to prepare though. It takes a bit of work and they will do everything they can to deny it.
      Not all states and insurance companies recognize diminished resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Not all states and insurance companies recognize diminished resale value.
      He's in NJ I think.

Statute of limitation varies by state. In the State of New Jersey, the statute of limitations for lawsuit filing related to property damage is 6 years from the date your claim arises (date of loss), which means any legal action must be taken within that time period. Even if your car was traded-in or sold privately you can still file a claim/take legal action for diminished value in NJ within the statute of limitations. The repair records as well as documentation of the resale price of the vehicle will be needed to properly assess the diminished value. It is recommended though that a DV claim be filed as soon as possible after your accident.

2014 XC60 T6 Sport Pkg
      2008 C30 v1 Manual

Proves once again why I drive a Volvo. My car had little visible damage, although it will cost almost $6,000, mostly because the fiberglass back hatch cracked & needs replacement. The Chevy Traverse that hit me was towed to the junk yard with the entire front end crushed & the radiator pushed all the way into the engine.
      The front end of a car crumpling is not a sign of poor build quality. The latest cars are designed to accordion to absorb impact. The more energy that's absorbed by the deformation of the car, the less energy will be imparted on the passengers. The car crumpling its front end did you a huge service in dissipating the crash energy.

Voytech...Thanks for the input on Inherent Diminished Value. I will do some investigation on this issue. Ibowroom.... I understand that cars are built with a crumple zone to absorb impact. But is it intentional design that the radiator drives back into the engine, causing that much extensive damage? Not sure how fast she was going when she hit me. Airbags did not deploy but the impact was pretty hard.

1. You'll likely need an attorney to claim diminished value, as the insurance will fight that pretty hard.
      2. If it's the other party's fault, you should be getting ALL OEM parts. They damaged an OEM part, you get an OEM replacement part. Period.
      3. You got rear ended, so you probably have whiplash. Go see a PI attorney and get some free chiropractic sessions. =)

Quote Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
      1. You'll likely need an attorney to claim diminished value, as the insurance will fight that pretty hard.
      2. If it's the other party's fault, you should be getting ALL OEM parts. They damaged an OEM part, you get an OEM replacement part. Period.
      3. You got rear ended, so you probably have whiplash. Go see a PI attorney and get some free chiropractic sessions. =)
      That whole whiplash thing I believe is more a myth than truth. People don't walk away with millions of dollars unless there are serious bodily injuries, loss of limbs, death etc. Whiplash is very subjective, google it. You can't show whiplash on an X-Ray.

My V40 got hit at 65-100 MPH by an SUV....And the attorney handling things told us whiplash is the least of it.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 04-22-2017 at 08:59 AM.

That whole whiplash thing I believe is more a myth than truth. People don't walk away with millions of dollars unless there are serious bodily injuries, loss of limbs, death etc. Whiplash is very subjective, google it. You can't show whiplash on an X-Ray.

My V40 got hit at 65-100 MPH by an SUV....And the attorney handling things told us whiplash is the least of it.
      You walk away with an extra 5-10k. Worth it.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

That's just not me. I have absolutely no whiplash or other injuries & can't claim that I do in good conscience. Just want my XC60 fixed properly.

That's just not me. I have absolutely no whiplash or other injuries & can't claim that I do in good conscience. Just want my XC60 fixed properly.
      +1 and kudos to you for doing and saying the ethical thing. If for no other reason in that all our insurance rates are high are due to others that falsely take advantage of a situation as some suggested here. You are to be commended,.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)

Agreed. Kudos on honesty. I'm sure your mailbox was full of ambulance chasing attorneys inquiring about your "well being". Or their financial well being...

Good luck on the repairs

Whip

You walk away with an extra 5-10k. Worth it.

Without injuries, you're right. Passenger in my car (Family Member - Driver) (Friend of family member -Passenger) got about $5,000 or $6,000 for "Whiplash". I'll refrain from giving my two cents here on the passenger.....

Family member was injured (non life threatening but ongoing injuries requiring physical therapy). Thus, "Whiplash" probably will add some value, but attorney doesn't feel this is the bulk of person's claim. Focusing on real versus "perceived and unverifiable" injuries is ultimately fluff.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 04-22-2017 at 12:04 PM.

You don't get paid for whiplash, and you're not a medical professional that can self-diagnose your own injuries (according to the insurance companies). Just knowing that you're working with an attorney will change the way the opposing party's insurance carrier deals with you, even if you're not claiming much medical. Although, unless you know someone, most attorneys won't want to take a case w/ no injuries. Good luck with your diminished valve claim by yourself though. I'd be happy to give you pointers on that if you want.

Last edited by aznatama; 04-22-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Without injuries, you're right. Passenger in my car (Family Member - Driver) (Friend of family member -Passenger) got about $5,000 or $6,000 for "Whiplash".
      My estimate was inclusive of the diminished value, which is not an insignificant amount of the total. Even if no injuries are apparent, you would always want to be checked out by a medical professional in order to have that injury ruled out by an expert. Last thing you want, in case you're involved in a more serious injury in the future, is for insurance to deny part of you claim by claiming it was a pre-existing condition that you received from a past accident. Insurance companies are the worst.

FYI, diminished value is not insignificant at all. I was involved in a fender bender that resulted in 7k worth of damage to my previous car, and was able to claim over 50% of that as diminished value. This was for a car that was worth, at most, 23k at the time.

Also, do you think the time spent dealing with the accident, the extra hassle, and the inconvenience of the accident is not worth anything? What about time off from your job that you may have had to take in order to take care of accident related stuff? All that is what the extra amount is for. You're not paid for whiplash, you're paid compensation for these other things that resulted from the accident. It's about how much your time is worth.

My estimate was inclusive of the diminished value, which is not an insignificant amount of the total. Even if no injuries are apparent, you would always want to be checked out by a medical professional in order to have that injury ruled out by an expert. Last thing you want, in case you're involved in a more serious injury in the future, is for insurance to deny part of you claim by claiming it was a pre-existing condition that you received from a past accident. Insurance companies are the worst.

FYI, diminished value is not insignificant at all. I was involved in a fender bender that resulted in 7k worth of damage to my previous car, and was able to claim over 50% of that as diminished value. This was for a car that was worth, at most, 23k at the time.

Also, do you think the time spent dealing with the accident, the extra hassle, and the inconvenience of the accident is not worth anything? What about time off from your job that you may have had to take in order to take care of accident related stuff? All that is what the extra amount is for. You're not paid for whiplash, you're paid compensation for these other things that resulted from the accident. It's about how much your time is worth.

Partially true. You're paid for actual damages (Vehicle, Medical Bills, Lost Wages (not including the use of sick days), diminished value (varies by state), etc.

If i hit your car (rear end) and you suffer no medical injuries as verified by a doctor. Then the most you'll get is diminished value (varying by state), lost wages (I.E. if you had to take a day off to have car repaired), reimbursement for a rental car, and your car repaired.

Passenger in the accident I described above deserved NOTHING. He whined about whip lash and is a waste of space......One of those too lazy to work people and will milk any bad situation for what it's worth.

Family member suffered genuine injuries, as verified by a doctor. Physical therapy was recommended, and undertaken. Surgery was recommended, but being that family member is older, didn't want surgery to repair injury. Pain management was undergone. Family member is under care of a physician. So the settlement here will be more substantial than an "ouch i hurt my neck", call the chiropractor, and let me wear a neck brace in court, case.

And my poor car? Well it saved their lives but was a total loss.. sniffle...

Wow. Many more issues here than I realized.
      1- Yes, my mailbox was loaded with letters from attorneys wanting to represent me if I was claiming injury. One attorney even sent complter copies of the actual police report, etc via Certified Mail.
      2- I also got postcard adverts from several chiropractors.
      3- Fortunately, I have insurance coverage for a rental vehicle while repairs are being completed....up to 30 days..car should be fixed within 2 weeks.
      4- I processed the claim through my insurance company as it is simpler & quicker this way. I will let my insurance company collect/chase the insurance company of the woman who hit me through subrogation & they will reimburse my deductible after they settle with the other insurance company.
      5- I am all for people being reasonably reimbursed for real expenses as the result of an accident & I will investigate the diminished value possibility.
      6- But again, in my case, there was no real out of pocket cost for time lost at work, trips to doctors or body shops, etc. I could build a claim for those items but not interested.

Wow. Many more issues here than I realized.
      1- Yes, my mailbox was loaded with letters from attorneys wanting to represent me if I was claiming injury. One attorney even sent complter copies of the actual police report, etc via Certified Mail.
      2- I also got postcard adverts from several chiropractors.
      3- Fortunately, I have insurance coverage for a rental vehicle while repairs are being completed....up to 30 days..car should be fixed within 2 weeks.
      4- I processed the claim through my insurance company as it is simpler & quicker this way. I will let my insurance company collect/chase the insurance company of the woman who hit me through subrogation & they will reimburse my deductible after they settle with the other insurance company.
      5- I am all for people being reasonably reimbursed for real expenses as the result of an accident & I will investigate the diminished value possibility.
      6- But again, in my case, there was no real out of pocket cost for time lost at work, trips to doctors or body shops, etc. I could build a claim for those items but not interested.
      I would say that you visit a doctor before settling and signing off. Just to make sure there are no injuries. Suck up the co-pay or pass along to your car insurance. Better to get a once over physical. In the event you do have injury, you aren't signing away those rights. Precautionary vs Feigning Injury.

Likewise, I think you are being very conservative not to claim lost wages. Did you miss meetings? Work? Potential Clients, etc? If so, then you should file for some monetary loss.

Other than that, I think you've done the right thing.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 04-24-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Yes, good thing you were in a Volvo... not sure if you saw the news article a little while back about most cars' front seats collapse into the rear seat when the car is rear-ended. One woman became a paraplegic from that, another poor guy hit his toddler's head with his head and killed her. The only seats designed to not do this were specifically called out by the reporter : Volvo, MB, BMW.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Picked up my car from the body shop yesterday. Looks as good as new. To clarify an earlier question ... the back hatch does not come painted...body shop did a nice job matching the electric silver color. The lower bumper & air dam do come painted (?). Also learned a bit about Inherent Diminished Value. My Volvo dealer says value can't be accurately determined until the vehicle is sold. However most dealers agree that the value is reduced by 20% & that is the hit I would take if I wanted to trade in today. Neither the dealer nor the body shop could offer much advice or encouragement on collecting for diminished value from the insurance company, but did suggest I at least get the insurance company to use the description "driveable" & if possible, "cosmetic damage only" when they submit to CarFax, which is the source behind Inherent Diminished Value.

Picked up my car from the body shop yesterday. Looks as good as new. To clarify an earlier question ... the back hatch does not come painted...body shop did a nice job matching the electric silver color. The lower bumper & air dam do come painted (?). Also learned a bit about Inherent Diminished Value. My Volvo dealer says value can't be accurately determined until the vehicle is sold. However most dealers agree that the value is reduced by 20% & that is the hit I would take if I wanted to trade in today. Neither the dealer nor the body shop could offer much advice or encouragement on collecting for diminished value from the insurance company, but did suggest I at least get the insurance company to use the description "driveable" & if possible, "cosmetic damage only" when they submit to CarFax, which is the source behind Inherent Diminished Value.
      Good to know and thanks for the information. Glad your car turned out well.

After years without an accident, I just got rear ended for the 2nd time in about a month!!! I just picked up my car from the body shop on Friday. Yesterday, just 4 days later, I was in traffic that came to an abrupt stop but the guy behind did not stop in time. I believe he was looking down at a phone or something (he did get a ticket for distracted driving) & did not see soon enough that I had stopped in traffic. He attempted to swing wide of me but did not make it & caught my left rear with his right front before coming to a stop on the opposite side shoulder of the road. Fortunately no one else hit him when he crossed over the center line & no one was hurt. But it looks like I will once again need a new back hatch door & rear bumper, etc.

For the second time, I can say that I am amazed at how solid the Volvo is & how well it took the impact. I got hit hard & it just felt like a solid thump & I was able to drive away. The guy that hit me practically tore his right front fender & trim clean off the car. This Volvo feels like a tank. I think I am convinced to drive a Volvo for life.

Hmm, sorry if I offend you, but if we ever meet in person and you offer me a ride, I must politely decline.

At least you're no stranger to the process. Hope it turns out well... again.

I agree with your conclusion, I've already decided to stay in a Volvo as well as ensuring my family is protected by them too by giving my current XC60 to my grandson in eight or so years when he's ready to drive.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Oh no, not again!

I have to admit that I catch myself looking in the rear view mirror a lot more now since I got rear ended a few weeks ago. The penalties for distracted driving or as it's called where I live, "without assured clear distance", need to be a lot tougher for people to put down their phones and concentrate on the road.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Oh wow... Hope you're okay. Traffic makes people horrible drivers. =/

I know the feeling. After both being over 20 years accident free in the period of a year my wife was hit three times and me once. That was about 2 years ago. I hope me being hit 3 weeks ago in the XC60 isn't the start of another roll. XC60 is at the panel beaters today. Hopefully back with me tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

.... Traffic makes people horrible drivers.
      Apparently so does New Jersey.
      -

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I have to admit that I catch myself looking in the rear view mirror a lot more now since I got rear ended a few weeks ago. The penalties for distracted driving or as it's called where I live, "without assured clear distance", need to be a lot tougher for people to put down their phones and concentrate on the road.
      On top of being fined you could have your license revoked in Sweden if you don't keep enough distance to the car in front and you end up causing a crash, which I think is appropriate. I've known people use their phones while driving but the more I look at oncoming drivers the more I notice that almost everyone is on their phone. I'd hope for a sort of crackdown on phones and distractions in traffic more than anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by richardknottnz View Post
      I know the feeling. After both being over 20 years accident free in the period of a year my wife was hit three times and me once. That was about 2 years ago. I hope me being hit 3 weeks ago in the XC60 isn't the start of another roll. XC60 is at the panel beaters today. Hopefully back with me tomorrow.
      "Funny" thing is I had my first accident shortly followed by my second and aside of those I'm accident free both before and after. Skidded my beater into a ditch (fooling around at night though) and later hit a parked car with my S80. Same with a friend who hit a light pole in his car and shortly afterwards hit a small deer, luckily at low speeds so both the car and deer were alright. So uh, I guess it's good to have gotten it out of the way or something. Fingers crossed I'll be out of trouble for many years to come now
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

After years without an accident, I just got rear ended for the 2nd time in about a month!!! I just picked up my car from the body shop on Friday. Yesterday, just 4 days later, I was in traffic that came to an abrupt stop but the guy behind did not stop in time. I believe he was looking down at a phone or something (he did get a ticket for distracted driving) & did not see soon enough that I had stopped in traffic. He attempted to swing wide of me but did not make it & caught my left rear with his right front before coming to a stop on the opposite side shoulder of the road. Fortunately no one else hit him when he crossed over the center line & no one was hurt. But it looks like I will once again need a new back hatch door & rear bumper, etc.

For the second time, I can say that I am amazed at how solid the Volvo is & how well it took the impact. I got hit hard & it just felt like a solid thump & I was able to drive away. The guy that hit me practically tore his right front fender & trim clean off the car. This Volvo feels like a tank. I think I am convinced to drive a Volvo for life.
      A. Volvo Keeps you safe x 2. These cars are built like tanks. So said my v40 hit at 65-100 MPH by an SUV.
      B. Time to invest in a Dash Camera Man! I'm not joking either!
      C. Glad you were unharmed......Maybe we need to install a Magnet on your car, too. Repel all other drivers using the same pole!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements