Adding fuel 2017 XC60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Adding fuel 2017 XC60

We have a month old 2017 XC60. I have had a problem both times I filled up the car with gas. The first time, the pump kicked off about about 7/8 full. Second time, I did it manually and pumped in the gas slowly but it still seems to cut off without being full. The car in both cases were at a slight (very slight) angle. Does it have to perfectly level to be allow a complete fillup?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Same pump both times?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So far (3500 mi) no problems filling our 2017. We have used about 6 different stations.
      Dave, 2017 XC60 T5 AWD; previous: '04 XC70, '00 V70XC, '90 940T, '58 PV444

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 2016 XC70 with the T5-5 cylinder engine went into limp mode one time. It happened shortly after topping it up manually. It has not happened since then (I now stop at either the first pump kick off, or very shortly after that). I have some suspicion that the engine limp incident it may have been an issue with the gasoline vapor emission control system being overly sensitive to way too much gasoline in the tank. I wonder if the problems that you are having may be related to issues with the same system, with either something clogged, or a sensor being out of adjustment.

Try another pump like hinted at above, perhaps one of different design at another gas station, and avoid topping it off much further after the pump kicks off, and see if you still have difficulty filing the tank to normal (non-overfill) full.

When does the switch from winter to summer gas occur in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by rooflessvw View Post
      Same pump both times?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sorry to be late in responding but the answer is different pumps and stations.

I always let it stop when it kicks off. Will try different station next time and will do it by hand again. Just seems that the first eight of a tank goes quickly to the rest making me feel that I am not filling the tank.

I read this somewhere for the same issue I had with my S80 and it seems to help.

When you are filling up, hold the pump handle at the 7 o'clock position.

Seems like I can never get a completely full tank. We just took a short trip filling up at a Shell station in Johnson City, TN. On the way back, we stopped at the same Shell station and filled up at the same pump heading the same direction, parked relatively in the same spot as the last fill. We drove 366 miles and averaged 32.73 mpg. This was part on the interstate and most of the rest on 4 lane roads rolling hills and a few mountains in WV. Some city driving at VaTech. The overall mileage on the car from purchase is showing as 30.8 mpg. I have not problem setting the T1 odometer but have not reset the average mpg display (not obvious on how to do it even when looking in owners manual). Does this mileage sound reasonable as it is above what is shown on the sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
      Seems like I can never get a completely full tank. We just took a short trip filling up at a Shell station in Johnson City, TN. On the way back, we stopped at the same Shell station and filled up at the same pump heading the same direction, parked relatively in the same spot as the last fill. We drove 366 miles and averaged 32.73 mpg. This was part on the interstate and most of the rest on 4 lane roads rolling hills and a few mountains in WV. Some city driving at VaTech. The overall mileage on the car from purchase is showing as 30.8 mpg. I have not problem setting the T1 odometer but have not reset the average mpg display (not obvious on how to do it even when looking in owners manual). Does this mileage sound reasonable as it is above what is shown on the sticker?
      32 mpg does not sound reasonable to me. I have a 2016 T5 FWD, which has the highest EPA highway of all 2016 models. The best mpg that I have noted is 25, driving 70ish on the interstate.
      2016 XC60 T5 OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements