The Windows
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: The Windows

The Windows

The wife is out of town this weekend. The country band isn't playing. And the power trio is ... powered down for the next 7 days. That leaves a LOT of time to get into trouble. Here's the trouble I want to get into. The lock button mechs are not attached in my doors. I knew that when I bought the car. Never thought to ask them to fix it. That means I need to. But, it also means removing the windows. Not a biggie (ha!!). From what I've read there are supposed to be 2 screws that hold the window to the window mechanism. I had the panels off last weekend, but could never find the screws. Even had the wife raise and lower the window while I looked in the holes. Nada, no joy. That brings me to .... where the heck are the screws? Or, how do I get the window out? I will do my best to not blow anything up when I disconnect the battery. Anyone have pictures of the bolts/screws? This is on an MY2015.0 XC60. Almost forgot that part.
      Last edited by KennyE; 04-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is your car still under factory warranty? If it is let the dealer fix this. This would give you plenty of time to find trouble elsewhere!
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige
      2015 Genesis Monticito Blue/Grey can't return fast enough
      2018 XC60 OSD October 16, 2017 - Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde

Oh, there are plenty of places to find trouble, that is for sure!! There is no real warranty on this XC60. Purchased used from a Ford dealership down the road. They'll give me an oil change, and new nitrogen in the tires. But thats about it. Knew that going in. The locks work, so it's not a high priority. But it would be nice to be able to say I "fixed 'em".

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just for giggles, call a Volvo dealer service department with your VIN and ask what warranty it has remaining. In addition to possible remaining factory warranty, you might be surprised to learn your car might also have a Certified Pre-Owned. It depends on how and when the previous purchaser purchased the vehicle. You wouldn't be the first to be pleasantly surprised. Besides... if it's brownie points from the wife you're looking for, she'll be MUCH more impressed to learn you found a warranty instead of... maybe... breaking a window.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD 3.0I Premier Plus

How many miles on car? If less than 50K Volvo will still honor the remaining manufactures warranty.
      The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family.

Trying to understand what the issue is. What do you mean by "lock button mechs not attached in my doors"?

Does it lock with the fob but not the switch on the door panel or does the request switch outside the car on the door handle not work?

I haven't taken the XC60's door panel apart yet but typically the windows are attached to the regulator by two clips that slide in a track at the bottom of the window.

Like the others have indicated, your car may still be covered under it's original factory warranty so definitely worth it to look into that first. That said, be prepared that the warranty may be denied if the problem was caused by the car being hit, or something unrelated to the part failing. It may also be a programming issue with the lock too so before pulling things apart I would check that.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I took the vehicle into our local Volvo dealer for service. No mention of any remaining warranty, but I will ask again. I doubt there is any. It was originally a fleet car, I'm the third owner, and it has 93k miles on it. What would be left to warranty?

The locks work, the handles work. It's the button "indicators" (?) themselves that don't give a visual by going up and down. Noticed when I took the panels off that they just flopped around. I suspect I am not the first to have pulled those panels and they were knocked out of the actuator. From what I can tell in the 2015 and on you have to remove the "cassette" that all the goodies are attached to. I was just in there looking again, got as far as removing the door handle and stopped. I think I'll table this one, maybe have a mech do it. I can't see the connectors/clips/whatever is holding the glass in. And yeah, don't want to break the glass. Maybe I'll just spin the time learning some new songs, instead. That is probably a better plan.

BTW, I used to work on large format printing presses. I can disassemble machinery and get it back together. But ... we had manuals with little pretty pictures to tell us what went where. And a boatload of tech support. But, that wasn't cars. Oh well.

So its a 15 with 93K miles. Wow. No warranty left on that, unfortunately. But that would make for an interesting question. If a car was sold initially as a fleet vehicle and then sold at 25K miles 2 years later would the second buyer have or not have the remaining factory warranty? Seems that it "should" be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      So its a 15 with 93K miles. Wow. No warranty left on that, unfortunately. But that would make for an interesting question. If a car was sold initially as a fleet vehicle and then sold at 25K miles 2 years later would the second buyer have or not have the remaining factory warranty? Seems that it "should" be valid.
      The new car warranty goes with the car so hypothetically a second buyer at 25k miles would have had the remaining time/ miles on the new car warranty, which has now long since lapsed.

A little different wrinkle but I am the third owner of a P2R that had a CPO warranty when second owner bought it from a Volvo dealership. Way back when I had the car at the dealer diagnosing some items and they found that I needed my angle gear re-sealed, a couple of wheel bearings, and some other stuff, to the tune of $2k or so. While rummaging through the glovebox I stumbled across the CPO warranty certificate and all of those (and some other) repairs were covered.

In this case it sounds like the actuators have gotten unhooked from the thing in the door - I haven't taken the door panel off this car yet.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements