How many miles on your '01 V70 XC ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How many miles on your '01 V70 XC ?

Just trying to get an idea of what average mileage is and what can be reasonably expected from 2001 XC's. What's your odometer readings?

Doug C

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 01 V70 is at around 182k now, with a lot of life left. I routinely see XCs with 200+k at work, probably the weakest spot on a 01 is the trans, but they seem to hold up ok if they are taken care of.

I'm about to hit 209k, trans is showing signs of failure but everything else is still going strong.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've got an 02 (pretty much identical to 01) 221k and beginning to show signs of transmission death. Everything else works great and shows no sign of giving up any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 v70 xc Classic White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

Do you have a plan for when trans quits? I've been reading old threads on the subject but it's usually a matter of links and reading thru volumes of info and not having any clear cut details of a common solution. A condensed version would be nice, I'm not so much concerned with WHAT caused the prob on these year models - just the common fix. Like can a transmission from a later model be switched in - I'm not reading of people doing that BUT I can not imagine folks spending $3000 for a replacement either.

Doug C

Bad valvebodies, the most absurd software ever, (in 2001s) and the lack of fluid changes.
      Volvo stated, (and I belive still does) "lifetime fluid" which was and is the most absurd position to take.
      Toyota states a fluid change (drain and fill) every 30K miles and this is an Aisin Warner Japanese transmission (also used by other manufacturers), ALL recommend fluid changes.
      A drain and fill won't cut it on a Volvo if this has not happened since new and 99% have never had a fluid change!!! (INSTANT DEATH)

Unfortunately, if the fluid hasn't been changed this can and will happen to many 2003-2007s too.

CHANGE THAT FLUID NOW!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
      Do you have a plan for when trans quits? I've been reading old threads on the subject but it's usually a matter of links and reading thru volumes of info and not having any clear cut details of a common solution. A condensed version would be nice, I'm not so much concerned with WHAT caused the prob on these year models - just the common fix. Like can a transmission from a later model be switched in - I'm not reading of people doing that BUT I can not imagine folks spending $3000 for a replacement either.

Doug C
      No, really can't be done easily. You need to get an updated valvebody and I believe another change. To find a used, LOW MILEAGE transmission is just impossible on a 2001-2002.
      I'm doing a tranny now but this is a 2006 with 146K miles and I managed to find a 45K miles tranny, it should be just fine.
      The problem with just doing a valvebody on a 150+++ mile transmission is that other parts are also worn. Even if the main issue is the VB, it still may not fix it or may fix it for a very short time. A BV would not fix this one and the shop refused to take my money. It had a torque converter code and when the VB was removed it was all varnished inside so a new one was needed (or rebuild this one but the used 45k miles tranny was a better deal, MUCH better!

Nope, it's usually either buy one from Volvo $$$$$ !!!!!, or rebuild the one you have if the case is still good ($$$).... One $=approx $1000.
      There should be many transmission shops that are now familiar with these, (not the easiest of rebuilds). 6-8 years ago there were not many (shops), but now that many/most of these trannies have failed, shops have become more comfortable with rebuilding them.
      Luckily I have a shop near me that rebuilds both these trannies AND rebuilds the valvebodies which has saved my ass numerous times!
      Last edited by JRL; 04-21-2017 at 04:06 PM.

My 2002 XC has 250,000, original tranny. Fluid was not changed until 240,000 (when I bought it). Tranny shifts real bad but I'm just going to run it into the ground because the car was cheap and I've done all I'm willing to do (fluid, B4 cover, software).

My 2001 V70 is also at 250,000 but it had a tranny put in around 200,000. The transmission that is in it right now has about 120-130k and is getting a little jerky, not sure what I'm going to do yet because VB is $1000+ here just for the part and that's close to used tranny rates.
      2001 V70 T5 | 400,000 KM | Vogtland springs + Enkei BR7, ARD tune @ 18psi, Snabb "Big" intercooler & piping, catless DP + Vibrant Ultra-Quiet + Magnaflow 5x8, do88 3" intake, Snabb TCV, Xemodex ETM

2002 XC70 | 402,000 KM | Bone stock, winter beater

Quote Originally Posted by Legtayor View Post

... because VB is $1000+ here just for the part and that's close to used tranny rates.
      Send my your VB. I can have it rebuilt for about $4-500 tops

Im at 278,xxx 01 v70 T5m.

Sucks to find an otherwise good '01 with a jerky transmission.. for cheap and have to pass on it ! I could probably get it for a grand.

JRL - what's it costing you for a full rebuild on a stock transmission? Includes VB too, right? software upgrade?

Good looking car Ladell, 278K seems descent too.

Doug C

Approx $3500 incl. the labor to R&R the tranny

Why would anyone (you included JRL) go that route? $3500 would buy a decent replacement car. And that's cheaper than getting a new transmission from Volvo for a 16 year old car? wow !! Cheaper than getting a remanufactured one even ? In that case I can see why '01s are considered junk, or parts cars then if exhibiting tranny issues.

Doug C

I wouldn't.
      I stopped buying 01s and 02 over 10 years ago, 03s and almost any 04 perhaps 5 years ago, too old.
      Now I only buy 06s and 07s IF....I can even find one. Pickings are very slim now and the occasional one with a decent condition report and miles under 100K still sells for a ton (wholesale), so much so that most of the time I have nowhere to go with it as I always fix what's needed and that alone is usually a 2K bill in the LEAST and at wholesale!!!

The past one I tried to buy (last week) was in CA. A 2006 with 90K some odd miles, and decent. Sold for close to 6k, what I was paying for the same car 18 months ago!
      I also tried to buy that Ocean Race just because it was a very nice O/R, but with that huge door dent, over 145K miles AND being in Seattle ($1200 to get it back here) it was only worth 2500-$2600 to me and I posted what happened with that one. I tried to buy the same car as mine. A real nice West coast 2007 V70 FWD but again, damn thing sold for what I paid for mine 17 months ago!!! FWDs, even in the Spring, are a harder sell here than XCs are.

Back to your question, I NEVER would consider a 2001, I have too much old history with them and those had a lot less miles than the 01s that are still running and for sale now.
      Worth nothing.
      2001s have other issues too. They fixed a lot of them for 2002 but 02s are still very iffy vehicles.

Either spend more and buy the facelifted 05-07, (06-07) being the best, and 07 being THE best or buy something else that meets your needs!
      Last edited by JRL; 04-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Good info JRL, I appreciate you sharing your experience! With that said though, I do currently have a very dependable daily driver that's paid off and will be keeping it at least until I feel I can rely on whatever XC I get. So I don't need a car per say, so much as it being a case of "I've always wanted an XC70". Just looking to scratch that itch. The goal there though being for it to become the DD. Unfortunately my budget is very modest (so maybe no '06+ cars) - but I always do my own mechanic-ing and stay on top of maintenance too. Besides I do love a project (1971 Volvo 1800E in the works at the moment). So it's a quest for the best/cheapest car, obviously a car with the least amount of work needed is preferred.

So another local find ('04 XC70, with clean ash gold body and dark brown leather that's in good shape) reads: "All highway 170K miles, Starts and Drives, engine has a small knock, make an offer, will take trades" asking $1499. Question being, is a "small knock" always a bottom end rebuild/replacement on these cars or is something less daunting gone out (sensor?) ?

Doug C

small knock could be anything.
      injectors are always noisy.

Take it to a trusted mechanic and pay them $80 to look over it and find where the noise is coming from. It could be as simple as a motor mount or something rattling, or it could need rod bearings.

that said, 04 is when the hard parts i nthe transmission were sorted.

I'm not that worried about my trans since I have a M56 waiting to go in when it finally dies. I kind of want it to go out, and yet I don't because it's extra work....

I went to see the '04 with a "small engine knock". So it starts right up, and is definitely a loud clanging noise, which quiets down to about half after a few seconds, to a sound like loud lifters (I know it's not of course). There is no check engine light but after a while the oil light will come on (that's according to the seller, but after idleing for several minutes it never came on before we shut the engine off). The seller, who apparently has a warehouse full of cars, is convinced it's the Oil Pump. He'll take $1000 for the car but a test drive is probably a bad idea.

Doug C

it could be a nasty clogged oil pickup from failed PCV.

I had to clean our pan after it popped the oil pressure light. Been fine since.

01 XC has around 260K on it now. Original transmission, fluid not changed until around 200K--changed every 20-30K from then on. Slight bang when transitioning to throttle after coasting to a near stop, but it has been happening for over 50K now and hasn't gotten worse. Not hesitant to drive it anywhere. It's been a great car in the in the 4 years and 100K miles we've put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e
      1993 Volvo 850 NA 5-Speed Sold

My 01 XC I just got for free from a lady at work has 106k and a rebuilt tranny from a year ago and new tires. Needs a deeepppp cleaning, spring seats and some other stuff fixed but it was free and drove it home, actually drove nice for an 01.
      2004 V70 R GT 132K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S80 2.5T Auto 153k Daily
      2001 XC70 106k current fixer/flip project

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements