Play CD-RW discs in 6 CD changer?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Play CD-RW discs in 6 CD changer?

Does anyone know if the 6-disc changer in the S40 can play CD-RW discs? I'd like to change the songs on the discs from time to time without having to store a bunch of CDs in my car. If the player can play them this would be awesome.

If nobody knows I'll just buy some later and try it out. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My experience (V50 with 6CD Premium) has been that it will play a burnt CD if its written like a regular CD with red book audio. But it will not play a CD-R full of MP3s.

Any stock CD player, even my 1990's boom box can play CDR's or RW's, it just depends on how they were burned. Make sure you burn them correctly and no issues. The files in File Explorer should be .wav files when the disc is completed, as it won't play .MP3 files.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

From technical point of view CD-R and CD-RW are different and it is possible RW wont be recognised by type of laser of the device. But I would doubt 2005 player have issues with the. Just record it as CD-audio type, as previously said.

ps - my 6CD changer doesnt even read original CDs anymore so I cant test :/
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

So excited... I can confirm that with my 2006 s40 6-disc changer, the CD RW format is supported (fingers crossed its just like and eventually quits working). To get it to work, I used iTunes to burn at a write speed of 4x. Slower burn speed allow it to burn better and be easier to read. This worked flawlessly for me and I hear no issues with quality.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

#thegoodoldaysofbufferunderflow and sitting at your computer NOT touching ANYTHING hoping it'll burn perfect the first time. Remember when bus's were that slow...glad they caught up to even DVD/Blu-Ray standards now. 52X FTW, and if you watched the mythbusters on disc speed - LUDICROUS SPEED...CRACK...tink tink tink...
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      #thegoodoldaysofbufferunderflow and sitting at your computer NOT touching ANYTHING hoping it'll burn perfect the first time. Remember when bus's were that slow...glad they caught up to even DVD/Blu-Ray standards now. 52X FTW, and if you watched the mythbusters on disc speed - LUDICROUS SPEED...CRACK...tink tink tink...
      Hahaha all in all I'm just glad it worked the first time. I just burned another one and will try in the morning... Not as good as AUX but easier to do than shell out 300$+ for a GROM unit...

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      Does anyone know if the 6-disc changer in the S40 can play CD-RW discs? I'd like to change the songs on the discs from time to time without having to store a bunch of CDs in my car. If the player can play them this would be awesome.

If nobody knows I'll just buy some later and try it out. Thanks!

YES! All six CDs in my head unit are CD-RW discs recorded in both MP3 and 'Red Book' format. Works great!

...with CD 'texts' too!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
      YES! All six CDs in my head unit are CD-RW discs recorded in both MP3 and 'Red Book' format. Works great!
      Yep! Mine works too... I'm so happy!! CD text works as well. This is awesome for me because being a high school student I don't really have money to shell out for a GROM unit or whatever. So this will have to do for now.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Yep! Mine works too... I'm so happy!! CD text works as well. This is awesome for me because being a high school student I don't really have money to shell out for a GROM unit or whatever. So this will have to do for now.

Why would you need a Grom? Is there anything significant in terms of functionality compared to the original unit?

Why would you need a Grom? Is there anything significant in terms of functionality compared to the original unit?
      I have a 2006, so there is no AUX or USB standard added into my headunit... just CD. And for me I like to be able to use AUX or USB rather than CD, so a GROM unit would add that... But this will do for now.
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I have a 2006, so there is no AUX or USB standard added into my headunit... just CD. And for me I like to be able to use AUX or USB rather than CD, so a GROM unit would add that... But this will do for now.
      I see. Does your AM radio still work? Mine went dead silence. All others (FM, CD, etc) worked fine.

I see. Does your AM radio still work? Mine went dead silence. All others (FM, CD, etc) worked fine.
      My antenna amplifier is bad, so my FAM is spotty and my AM is a no go.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements