Leak in driver side column after rain - 2015.5 V60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Leak in driver side pillar after rain - 2015.5 V60

I usually put my car in the garage, but last night I left it out in the rain. Unfortunately, when I left for work today, water started dripping on my arm. I looked up and saw drops forming at the top of the pillar above the steering wheel. I called the dealer and they said that due to the sunroof, debris (and sometimes spiders!) can collect in a drainage channel and cause water to back up into the cabin.

Unfortunately I have next to zero time to go in to the dealer and get this addressed without a loaner, and loaner appointments are over a week away. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to handle it at home?
      Last edited by mickberna; 04-25-2017 at 07:58 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is unusual for a car not that old.
      Do you park under trees when not in the garage?
      I never had a problem with mine and it's not in the garage all the time. Most evening I'm parked on a relatively steep driveway facing down and no problem no matter how hard it rains.
      Not sure where the drains are but you can pop the hood and make sure there are no leaves and dirt clogging the corners by the windshield.
      I've heard of some owners saying you need to clean the drains but I never had a problem in any of my cars despite not doing any special cleaning.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Fairly common problem amongst all cars with sunroofs, plenty of DIY's available all across the internet for cleaning the drains out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Leak in driver side column after rain - 2015.5 V60

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      This is unusual for a car not that old.
      Do you park under trees when not in the garage?
      I never had a problem with mine and it's not in the garage all the time. Most evening I'm parked on a relatively steep driveway facing down and no problem no matter how hard it rains.
      Not sure where the drains are but you can pop the hood and make sure there are no leaves and dirt clogging the corners by the windshield.
      I've heard of some owners saying you need to clean the drains but I never had a problem in any of my cars despite not doing any special cleaning.
      While the sunroof drains getting clogged so quickly may be slightly unusual for a car this new, sadly, there is nothing particularly unusual about water leaks in P3 Volvos. Windshield seal failure and other in cabin leaks aren't endemic, but they do seem to happen more often than one might expect on these cars.

Edit: didn't realize he said water was leaking from the steering column; read it as ON TO the wheel from above. Leaving my above comment intact regardless but this sounds like seals may not be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I had similar issue with 2015.5 S60. Dealer service center took care of the issue, I would recommend going to the dealer for warranty purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      While the sunroof drains getting clogged so quickly may be slightly unusual for a car this new, sadly, there is nothing particularly unusual about water leaks in P3 Volvos. Windshield seal failure and other in cabin leaks aren't endemic, but they do seem to happen more often than one might expect on these cars.

Edit: didn't realize he said water was leaking from the steering column; read it as ON TO the wheel from above. Leaving my above comment intact regardless but this sounds like seals may not be the issue.
      I guess I used the wrong word... I should have said "pillar". So it's not coming from the steering column, it's at the top of the driver's side pillar. I'm going to try clearing out the sunroof area with compressed air and see what happens. Hopefully it's a one-time issue, or at least something easily avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by mickberna View Post
      I guess I used the wrong word... I should have said "pillar". So it's not coming from the steering column, it's at the top of the driver's side pillar. I'm going to try clearing out the sunroof area with compressed air and see what happens. Hopefully it's a one-time issue, or at least something easily avoidable.
      Be very careful using compressed air to clear sunroof drains. The drain tube fits over a nipple at the sunroof pan and can be forced off if the tube is truly plugged. Instead of compressed air, suggest you use a flexible, semi-stiff material like weed wacker line and run it down from the corners of the sunroof pan. The front drain openings, which are about 1/8" ID, are visible from above. Good luck.
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

My 15.5 V60CC needed a new door seal at 15k miles. While driving for a couple of hours in heavy rain a few drops of water fell onto my left arm from the top of the door. After the new seal the door was noticeably harder to close. Much more so than originally. Apparently the originally installed rubber didn't fit so well. No more problems now.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements