More agressive intake sound?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

More agressive intake sound?

Hey all,

I've got an 06 V50 2.5T 6-spd and absolutely love it. Best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. lol So, I was wondering if there was a good way to get a throatier more aggressive intake sound without going with an open air element system like the K&N Typhoon Air Intake. The cart is stock. I come from an Audi background, and it was common to "Swiss cheese" the airbox to get better flow and more sound. Thoughts? Or do I just break down and spend the money on a full intake? Anyone have any experience with the Typhoon Air Intake? How hard to install for a mediocre DIY guy? Or how many hours labor is reasonable to pay for install?

Thanks in advance, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A good intake pipe with silicone replacement fittings and an ECU spacer would help. I got the intake pipe from SNABB. It is extremely well made and includes silicone hose fittings for each end. One fitting replaces the restrictive resonator hose at the turbo inlet allowing for more air to pass through - more noise! The 14mm ECU spacer was from GoVo Engineering and moves the ECU out of direct airflow within the airbox.

Performance Fresh Air Pipe (multiple finishes and colors): http://www.snabb.us/S40V50-20045-2010-_c_76.html
      GoVo Spacer: https://govoengineering.jimdo.com/ecu-spacer/

You won't get as much sound as a CAI...HAI (hot air intake, LOL), but it will help. You also get to keep the stock airbox which is proven best for the biggest horsepower gains with supporting mods.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

I'm currently saving up for the Mototec Intake System for the most part because it comes with both the Over-the-engine pipe and a large cone shaped air filter system for before the MAF. doing what the Typhoon and other such kits do providing an all in one solution to the intake air system.

And there are some who would say that the stock airbox is the best intake system, then there are others like me, that say the larger the filter, the better. I personally have a Spectre 9732 on mine (right after the MAF) with a 9730 heat shield on the lower 1/2 of it and I can say it spools significantly faster than the stock airbox, although in stop and go traffic, my IAT are higher, whereas if I'm cruising on the roadway, 45+ MPH the IAT's are cooler and the larger filter area means I can suck more air down faster if I want more insta-go. But that's me, I come from a diesel (cummins) and motorcycle (harley) background.

Interestingly, the turbo aggressive sound is present there so it is quite nice and worth it if you decide to get the upgrade.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      I'm currently saving up for the Mototec Intake System for the most part because it comes with both the Over-the-engine pipe and a large cone shaped air filter system for before the MAF. doing what the Typhoon and other such kits do providing an all in one solution to the intake air system.

And there are some who would say that the stock airbox is the best intake system, then there are others like me, that say the larger the filter, the better. I personally have a Spectre 9732 on mine (right after the MAF) with a 9730 heat shield on the lower 1/2 of it and I can say it spools significantly faster than the stock airbox, although in stop and go traffic, my IAT are higher, whereas if I'm cruising on the roadway, 45+ MPH the IAT's are cooler and the larger filter area means I can suck more air down faster if I want more insta-go. But that's me, I come from a diesel (cummins) and motorcycle (harley) background.

Interestingly, the turbo aggressive sound is present there so it is quite nice and worth it if you decide to get the upgrade.
      The Mototech system looks pretty good. I like that it uses the stock snorkel.

Throw a Snaab intake pipe on there and call it a day. You can also call K&N and source just the intake tube from there for about $100.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

There is also K&N High-flow filter that goes straight into the standard airbox. Its just better quality one with higher flow (apparanetly). Its apx 4x price of standard filter from aftermarket source but you just clean it rather than discard. Was considering it a while ago but decided it wasnt worth it. But its an option.
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      There is also K&N High-flow filter that goes straight into the standard airbox. Its just better quality one with higher flow (apparanetly). Its apx 4x price of standard filter from aftermarket source but you just clean it rather than discard. Was considering it a while ago but decided it wasnt worth it. But its an option.
      There is another option as well is the Accel Kool Blue filter. I have one still in my stock airbox in my garage, and it flows slightly better than the K&N at half the price, and the nice part is it doesn't use oil to function (dry filter), which means no buying a cleaning kit and no re-oiling or issues with over oiling causing you MAF issues. Just clean and reinstall.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 04-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Wow I had never seen this intake. I'm so intrigued! Is it just me, or does the Mototec fresh air pipe appear to do a better job of staying off the engine than other pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Throw a Snaab intake pipe on there and call it a day. You can also call K&N and source just the intake tube from there for about $100.
      The Snabb pipe and K&N pipe already puts you at around $270 with no filter or ECU bracket though right? Seems like a Mototec would be the best option.

...Wow I think I just convinced myself to buy this lol.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

So the problem with the intake pipes is not the issue with them staying off the engine, it's more about rubbing the AC lines due to their diameter and the orientation of the turbo-OTE pipe connector (since it's angled for the OEM Pipe). Majority of them mount to the same points as the stock pipe did, so it's just about ensuring install it correctly and THEN snugging everything down after all the adjustments have been done (and replacing the standoffs/bolts as needed). Unfortunately it seems that some people don't exactly do that and it rubs in places it shouldn't.

The K&N Typhoon intake is one solid piece from the OverTheEngine pipe to where the filter attaches, so buying the SNABB pipe at the same time would be a waste, so the money is still in the $100-$150 range. However, the heatshield from the radiator and the ECU mount are what drive the price all the way up to $300 even though it ony probably costs them about $100 to make it and get it shipped to their warehouses. Sad but true #capitalism.

What swung me on the mototec was the Carbon Fiber canister and the optional direct to the OEM outside air source attachment for it, while you don't really NEED water protection, it's nice to have. plus carbon fiber sheds heat fantastically as well. Honestly sourcing all the parts and building the same intake yourself would save you about $100, but they're a business, not a charity, it's not UNICEF (Joe Dirt), so they want to make some money and I get that.

On that note, I personally don't understand why the complete intake from Elevate is like $450, with $120 or so for the OTE pipe and the last $230 or $240 for a 9" radius 90 degree elbow, airfilter, standoff pipe clamp and air filter and ECU bracket. All stuff that you can source for yourself for about $120 MAX. Of course I use ebay and SiliconeIntakeSystems.com which is near my house, so maybe that's my problem, I'm out of touch with a business nowadays.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 04-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.

So the problem with the intake pipes is not the issue with them staying off the engine, it's more about rubbing the AC lines due to their diameter and the orientation of the turbo-OTE pipe connector (since it's angled for the OEM Pipe). Majority of them mount to the same points as the stock pipe did, so it's just about ensuring install it correctly and THEN snugging everything down after all the adjustments have been done (and replacing the standoffs/bolts as needed). Unfortunately it seems that some people don't exactly do that and it rubs in places it shouldn't.
      But assuming the AC lines don't rub, doesn't it look like this pipe would fair a little better against heat soak?

On that note, I personally don't understand why the complete intake from Elevate is like $450, with $120 or so for the OTE pipe and the last $230 or $240 for a 9" radius 90 degree elbow, airfilter, standoff pipe clamp and air filter and ECU bracket. All stuff that you can source for yourself for about $120 MAX. Of course I use ebay and SiliconeIntakeSystems.com which is near my house, so maybe that's my problem, I'm out of touch with a business nowadays.
      They're elevating your money out of your wallet.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Depends on the coating. You can guarantee the pipe isn't made out of cast iron so it's not traditionally black and has been sprayed/painted with something. Thermodynamics teachs you that a black coating will absorb significantly more heat than a white coating unless it is specifically designed to reflect heat, and with the OTE pipe over the headers, there's plenty of heat to go around. I'll probably honestly ChipotleBurrito wrap my pipe again when I get it, or send it in for stripping and Ceramic coating to keep it looking nice and still be functional.

From the product description: The kit is comprised of a full replacement intake pipe made from mandrel bent aluminum which is powder coated black

The K&N Typhoon intake is one solid piece from the OverTheEngine pipe to where the filter attaches, so buying the SNABB pipe at the same time would be a waste, so the money is still in the $100-$150 range. However, the heatshield from the radiator and the ECU mount are what drive the price all the way up to $300 even though it ony probably costs them about $100 to make it and get it shipped to their warehouses. Sad but true #capitalism.

What swung me on the mototec was the Carbon Fiber canister and the optional direct to the OEM outside air source attachment for it, while you don't really NEED water protection, it's nice to have. plus carbon fiber sheds heat fantastically as well. Honestly sourcing all the parts and building the same intake yourself would save you about $100, but they're a business, not a charity, it's not UNICEF (Joe Dirt), so they want to make some money and I get that.

Here's the deal with elevate - they're a boutique Volvo performance shop. Which means, they sell high quality stuff at a high ish price. The air intake pipe has a thermal coating as I recall. That adds cost. Snabb has almost the same kit without thermal coating for slightly less-you just get more from elevate but it costs more overall. That being said, I went with Snabb because it looks stock and has a bolt mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Here's the deal with elevate - they're a boutique Volvo performance shop. Which means, they sell high quality stuff at a high ish price. The air intake pipe has a thermal coating as I recall. That adds cost. Snabb has almost the same kit without thermal coating for slightly less-you just get more from elevate but it costs more overall. That being said, I went with Snabb because it looks stock and has a bolt mount.

Oh yeah, Elevate's does say that it has a thermal coating. Their intake pipe isn't even expensive compared to Snabb's. I just can't get over that dent though.

We're talking Kanye white t-shirt boutique at those prices. SNABBs OTE pipe is comparable and I can understand the coating adding to it and uppring the price a little bit of which they are both competitive. But the lower half is where we're buying a $400 white Tshirt with Kanye's label on it that alsoe comes in a 6 pack from Walmart for $13.99.

We're talking Kanye white t-shirt boutique at those prices.
      LMFAO

That was the selling point for me - the mounting bracket! Also, fits better.

I'd love to hear someone share how the Mototec OTE pipe fits.

V50toS40 are you still in CA? It doesn't mention anywhere about CARB approval though, so you might have a hard time getting them to ship it to you...of course I live in Colorado, so if I sent them $600 instead of $300 and bought two of them, you know, I'd have a spare that I'd have no use for.

Snabb sent me mine,so....

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

V50toS40 are you still in CA? It doesn't mention anywhere about CARB approval though, so you might have a hard time getting them to ship it to you...of course I live in Colorado, so if I sent them $600 instead of $300 and bought two of them, you know, I'd have a spare that I'd have no use for.
      Yeah I am. While not having CARB approval could be an issue, it certainly wouldn't be an issue for them shipping. They'll take my money regardless of whether or not I can actually use the product lol. That's very considerate of you though!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements