2018 XC60 test drives
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2018 XC60 test drives

I am anxiously waiting to see (and read) some reports about test drives of the 2018 XC60's. When do you expect some to start trickling in? Also, do the 2018 XC60's used in the auto shows tend to stay in that city/town after the auto show si over, or are they usually returned to the factory when the car has not officially launched? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

August
      Hers - 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

On order via OSD: 2018 XC60 - T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by DBXL View Post
      I am anxiously waiting to see (and read) some reports about test drives of the 2018 XC60's. When do you expect some to start trickling in? Also, do the 2018 XC60's used in the auto shows tend to stay in that city/town after the auto show si over, or are they usually returned to the factory when the car has not officially launched? Thank you.
      Late August to early September.

The Auto Show cars are part of a national "tour" and are not "local".
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Although these are not proper reviews, I found two "ride reviews" this morning from two UK car magazine's website:

Autocar and Autoexpress

Current XC60ties are so called pre-production cars, they are not allowed to drive (not even by salesperson). They had few of those on display here in Finland (the same ones that were in Geneva), images can be found here: http://www.thenewvolvo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DBXL View Post
      Depends where you are located. I spoke to my dealer and he said that the official start in Switzerland is July 14th. I believe European dates would be very similar.

Dealers here in Finland are expecting their demo cars also in July, but I guess we will see test-drive reports earlier than that. Volvo has started or will start any day the production of XC60ties so I would be surpriced if there wouldn't be any available for press test-drives earlier than July.

Ride impressions, sounds pretty good.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/26/f...d-torture-tra/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XC60 rolls off in Sweden just two days ago.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...rslanda-sweden

T8 will do 0-100 Km in just 5.3 seconds. So 0-60 may be 5.0sec.

Car and Driver posted a decent test ride which has a few comments about what appears to be much-improved ride quality (a weakness they noted - and I agree with - in the current generation):
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st-ride-review

A few excerpts:

"Dimensionally, the new XC60’s 112.8-inch wheelbase is 4.7 inches shorter than the XC90’s but 3.6 inches longer than that of the old model, directly benefiting rear-seat space. With no driving duties, we had plenty of time to evaluate the passenger spaces. The previously tight aft quarters now nicely accommodate two people; there is plenty of legroom, knee room, and headroom, plus the front seats are mounted high, leaving toe space galore. Externally, the XC60 just plain looks bigger than its predecessor, with a long hood, a more upright greenhouse, and clipped front and rear overhangs."

"During our ride, we looked for signs of improvement in the XC60’s ride quality, which previously could be most charitably described as “firm.” Despite riding on 20-inch wheels, the air-sprung 2018 XC60 was notably more comfortable, without a hint of floppiness or squish. The suspension tuning, even in the default Comfort mode (in addition to Dynamic, Off Road, and Eco settings), returns tighter body control and more measured wheel control over bumps and ruts than the XC90’s similar setup, despite having an overall firmer feel. We’re told that advancements learned in tuning the XC60 eventually will make their way back into the XC90."

"As in other recent Volvos, some growl from the Drive-E four-cylinder engine can penetrate the cabin under moderate acceleration. In general, however, noise sources are balanced, with the tires, wind, road, and engine contributing equally to what little cabin din there is. In case we haven’t said so enough, we weren’t able to drive the XC60 ourselves. Still, we can say that in a straight line the crossover feels fleeter of foot than its XC90 sibling, mostly because it has the same powertrains with the same outputs as that larger, heavier SUV. The 400-hp T8 plug-in, in particular, promises to be quite quick.

We’ll be able to speak more definitively to the efficacy of the XC60’s redesign when we actually drive one and can directly evaluate its handling, acceleration, and more. We also weren’t able to try any of the XC60’s new-to-Volvo active-safety features, including a steering-assist function that nudges the crossover back into its lane if oncoming traffic is detected or when a driver tries to change lanes into an occupied space. For now, we can say that we left Sweden with an appreciation for the XC60’s improved ride quality, gorgeous interior, and seat comfort—and this time without having opened a can of surströmming."
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black
      1997 M3 - Alpine White/Black

International press launch is in early June. I will be there for the drive.
      chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

The first testdrives have been put online:
      Autocar

Autoexpress

Whatcar

2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

From the review:

The Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires (size 255/45R20) squealed a bit but gripped like an insurgent politician.
      I have no idea what that means....

Decisions decisions - I think the color of the car in the Motor Trend article is denim blue? I'm doing an OSD and mussel blue is available and I'm trying to decide between mussel and denim blue. You can view both colors on the Swedish Volvo build tool for the new XC60. I didn't like denim blue that much from the site pictures but denim blue looks better in the Motor Trend photos. Anybody got some thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ddarko View Post
      From the review:

Decisions decisions - I think the color of the car in the Motor Trend article is denim blue? I'm doing an OSD and mussel blue is available and I'm trying to decide between mussel and denim blue. You can view both colors on the Swedish Volvo build tool for the new XC60. I didn't like denim blue that much from the site pictures but denim blue looks better in the Motor Trend photos. Anybody got some thoughts?

I think in sunny days the denim blue looks good. However there are more cloudy than sunny days in my area, so maybe mussel blue is better for me.

From the review:

Found a video on Youtube showing a Denim Blue XC60, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVKhGyso9So I think it looks pretty good, and that's saying a lot since I'm typically not into blue vehicles.
      Current: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C43 4Matic
      Previous: 2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus

Thanks very much for the youtube video. I think it's pushed me in the direction of mussel blue. I'm coming from a black car and want to go with a lighter color outside the holy trinity of white-gray-black. Denim blue looks like it's a pretty dark shade so I think it will be too close to black for me and have the many disadvantages of black like the inescapable swirls in the paint. I'd go with bursting blue if it was available for Inscription but unfortunately it's reserved for R-Design.

His: 2017 V60CC Platinum AWD, Osmium Grey, Climate Package, BLIS
      Hers: 2016 Volvo S60 T5 Premier AWD, Ice White, Beechwood seats, Urbane Wood Inlays, BLIS, Tech package, Keyless Drive, Heated Seats

From the review:

I think they meant it grips pretty well!

The denim blue looks indistinguishable from the other darker colors on the website, but really good in the video/ photos.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-volvo-x...-wi-1795355474

With the usual Jalopnik flair All good stuff for the most part though. I think the cover image is set to "off road" mode - looks pretty mean!
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premium Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-volvo-x...-wi-1795355474

With the usual Jalopnik flair All good stuff for the most part though. I think the cover image is set to "off road" mode - looks pretty mean!
      It looks really nice when it's raised up like that! Also the wipers seem very similar to the Magic Vision Control on Mercedes models! It's great to see that Volvo adapted a similar design.

2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

Here is a youtube video on the 2018 XC60.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYDYrj3Bfw

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements