Please, Swedespeed, be a pal, and help me get my GF's 98 V70 XC CEL off!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Please, Swedespeed, be a pal, and help me get my GF's 98 V70 XC CEL off!

Yes, I gave the car to my GF' and may buy it back back myself if things go south. She doesn't like that it can't pass inspection with the CEL on. My reader will erase the codes, but won't tell me what they are. Car sets the CEL between a few trips to a few days after reset. ...

1. Could the bum ABS module have anything to do with this? I want to get one from that guy that mails the "new" module, and the tool (female E-5 Torx or whatever it is.)

2. Is changing the oil prudent? Where can I get another oil pan bolt in Volvo thread?

3. It keeps coming back on, so. What reader SHOULD I have and where can I get it?

Please, help me out, I see the car every week or two. So, I get to service it, then revisit.. Thanks!

Always short trips.....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, you really need to get the code read otherwise you are just shooting in the dark. If you don't have a code reader then take it to an auto parts store like Autozone - many shops like this read codes for free. Before I bought VIDA I got a cheap code reader from Walmart - I think the brand name is Innova.

I don't know about the ABS module - I thought that one set an ABS code too and caused the speedo to not work but maybe it just sets the CEL too in certain cases.

Always good to change the oil on your car. When was it last done? You can get replacement drain pan bolts pretty much anywhere - FCP, IPD, Tasca, etc.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

ABS Module won't cause a Check Engine Light. So don't worry about that.
      Changing the oil is always good but I've never seen a CEL go away after changing oil.
      You really need the root cause of the fault. Its possible that a Transmission fault will illuminate the Check Engine Light and some readers will not see any faults in ECM abd cannot read TCM. Best to get a better scanner. VIDA won't help with a 98, you'll need a VCT2000. Possible some of the inexpensive Bluetooth Dongles will plug in and read all faults. I don't have experience with those.
      I've run into a few 98's that have Evaporative System faults that come on after a few days and are difficult to trace. Some 98's had to have ECM's Flash Programmed with new software to fix a bug causing false check engine lights for evap leaks. But first you have to find out why the light is coming on, then go from there.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Autozone will read the codes for free. Have them do that and report back and we can guide you further. 1998's are very susceptible to EVAP system faults (ask me how I know)

1998 White V70 GLT "Elsa"
      1998 White S70 T5m "Anna"

Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
      Autozone will read the codes for free. Have them do that and report back and we can guide you further. 1998's are very susceptible to EVAP system faults (ask me how I know)
      Hmmm! That or Advance may be the way to go, for a baseline, in absence of Vol-fcr. ...

May get 5 feet quarter-inch inner tube (outer tube? I guess I'll take a second to check lol) clear tubing to change oil that way. She doesn't like that I got ramps and a long 6pt wrench to change the oil and stripped bolt the right way.. but still... overdue and overfull...

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      Hmmm! That or Advance may be the way to go, for a baseline, in absence of Vol-fcr. ...

May get 5 feet quarter-inch inner tube (outer tube? I guess I'll take a second to check lol) clear tubing to change oil that way. She doesn't like that I got ramps and a long 6pt wrench to change the oil and stripped bolt the right way.. but still... overdue and overfull...
      Just take it somewhere to get the drain plug removed if you can't do it and replace with a new one.

+1 on Evap system being a likely culprit as I've dealt with that one too though you need to get the code(s) read. Good luck!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

You need to find the leak(s) and fix it.
      The first thing to do is to first look at all the hoses especially the J Hose in the rear and the gas cap gasket.
      If those two prove to be OK and you visually can't see any cracked hoses, find a shop that has a SMOKE MACHINE and smoke the system. This is a 5-10 minute job tops and any vacuum leaks will show up instantly.
      Replace the offending hoses, clear the codes, drive it for a hundred or so miles to get it into the "readiness state" then go have the emissions tested.

If you decide to do this at the same time that shop can replace your drain plug and the next time have someone with the correct tool remove and replace it!

I think you (personally) need to stay away from this car.

This is Matt's email, contact him and he will hook you up with a rebuilt ABS module for little money.
      midwestmodules@gmail.com
      Last edited by JRL; 04-28-2017 at 09:45 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      You need to find the leak(s) and fix it.
      The first thing to do is to first look at all the hoses especially the J Hose in the rear and the gas cap gasket.
      If those two prove to be OK and you visually can't see any cracked hoses, find a shop that has a SMOKE MACHINE and smoke the system. This is a 5-10 minute job tops and any vacuum leaks will show up instantly.
      Replace the offending hoses, clear the codes, drive it for a hundred or so miles to get it into the "readiness state" then go have the emissions tested.

If you decide to do this at the same time that shop can replace your drain plug and the next time have someone with the correct tool remove and replace it!

I think you (personally) need to stay away from this car.

This is Matt's email, contact him and he will hook you up with a rebuilt ABS module for little money.
      midwestmodules@gmail.com
      The "smoke machine" goes through the air intake, right? Maybe I can home-make one...

Personally, I think this is over OP's head. Pay a mechanic to diagnosis and fix the issue would be a better option for the girlfriend.

+1

Well. Let me start by finding a reader that will get me a P code...

Volvo Dealers in US will diagnose a Check Engine Light Free. http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...rvice-by-volvo
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

I'm waiting at Autozone waiting for them to read them.

Ok. UPS. After a Seafoaming:

P0304
      P0410
      P0440
      P0116
      P0102
      P0303
      P0300

Diagnosis (by AutoZone lol Full tune-up.

So. 1998s have a distributor cap...

And. More fun. Oil got everywhere in engine bay... and

Part - but not all - of the belt sheared off.

which belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      I'm waiting at Autozone waiting for them to read them.

Ok. UPS. After a Seafoaming:

P0304
      P0410
      P0440
      P0116
      P0102
      P0303
      P0300

Diagnosis (by AutoZone lol Full tune-up.

So. 1998s have a distributor cap...
      Not too too bad. All are fixable.

1: P0300/303/304 means you're misfiring. Throw some new spark plugs in there and check out your ignition system.

2: P0410: SAS pump/valve malfunction, pretty banign issue. Check out other Volvo specific threads on this subject. I wouldn't worry about that right now.

3: P0440: Evap system failure, this has to do with your fuel system. Firstly, get a new gas cap. If that doesn't work, read up on the purge valve and charcoal canister. This however, is also not that important right now.

4: P0116:your engine coolant temp sensor is reading incorrectly, this is a cheap part and straightforward install. Lookup ECT replacement on YouTube.

5: P0102: your MAF (mass air flow) sensor is likely going bad, it will cause major driveability problems. Reccomend replacing that, very easy install, not a cheap part.

The power steering/alternator/whatever the third thing is (water pump?) belt. I think they call it "serpentine" belt. The one visible on the passenger side of the engine.

I don't think I have ever posted up any pics of this car.

clean the maf 1st before buying one

https://www.google.com/search?q=volv...utf-8&oe=utf-8
      Last edited by volvonewyork; 04-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.

I just bought

This story and the fact that it's an XC and it has New Jersey plates. Throwing a red flag for me people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Are you going anywhere with that,
      Or just one-and-done observation on NJ 's crap cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      This story and the fact that it's an XC and it has New Jersey plates. Throwing a red flag for me people.

Not the cars. This one guy.

99 S70 N/A

LMAO NOOOOOOOOOOO
      https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...rly_Known_as_G

What, you have a problem with that guy or something?
      What's it to you?

What

?

Car with key on, before gas and drive

Car with engine running, before gas and drive

Car after gas and drive.

I do still need the dipstick, though. And maybe oil bolt.. does FCP Groton have either a walk-in store, or a way to go in to avoid shipping?

What's wrong with shipping? Buy $50 of stuff and it's free. But, yeah, you can walk in if you wanna drive to Milford.

You got 6 gallons of gas and only 60 miles → 0? Are you really getting 10 mpg? And you only got 6 gallons of gas??

ABS and Tracs light are not related to fuel if that's what you're asking.

It's the guy!! Has to be! Mods need to delete this thread and his account. Someone get on this!! It's all adding up. And now the low gas....next will be changing ps fluid and adding the wrong atf

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      What's wrong with shipping? Buy $50 of stuff and it's free. But, yeah, you can walk in if you wanna drive to Milford.

You got 6 gallons of gas and only 60 miles → 0? Are you really getting 10 mpg? And you only got 6 gallons of gas??

It's just that I drive straight through Groton on the regular

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post

Yeah, she sure ran that tank low! I added 5 gallons, did an ITU, then refilled the rest if the tank to full on BP Amoco Ultimate 93.

If I can just pull in to Groton as opposed to driving through and get the parts that's awesome....

Volvo 8642660 plugs 5-pack, are these the right one for my car?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009P...UiL&ref=plSrch

Well you can stop in Groton but you're not getting any parts there.

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      Volvo Dealers in US will diagnose a Check Engine Light Free. http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...rvice-by-volvo
      That's interesting,I didn't know that about the software updates. So must your car already be in for service to get the free software updates or can you just schedule that? My car has only seen the dealer once during my ownership and that was just before CPO warranty ran out. Otherwise it's only seen my Indy shop.

2006 Sonic V70R GT 132k, 2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 30K (The Wife's), 2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 35k

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast