Please, Swedespeed, be a pal, and help me get my GF's 98 V70 XC CEL off! - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 258
    1. #71
      Junior Member CYB3RBYTE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      319
      This whole dang thread is halfway a joke and halfway serious, it's really confusing the hell out of me just like my damn exams, and I took calc II this semester. Kill me.
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 151,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 97,6xx /

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      This whole dang thread is halfway a joke and halfway serious, it's really confusing the hell out of me just like my damn exams, and I took calc II this semester. Kill me.
      just wait till differential equations

    4. #73
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by r0x4nn3 View Post

      .
      I thought it was only youngsters like me that knew of memes!
      Memes are awesome. I couldn't see it, but I will trust you that it was awesome.

      This thread is on track if you ignore the troll comments, basically that will taper off if not fed into. Not even worth mentioning.

      So. The back axle has a matched pair; the fronts are still the lower tread ones. I inflated them all. She says the "bucking" has almost stopped. I am thinking that my fluid chamge on the transmission may be helping. I'm sure it is due for another ATF drain/fill soon, as the fluid all looks like someone put potting soil on the dipstick. Weird. So the new ATF sure is cleaning out something... 24mm.

      Still not sure if it is the trans itself, now slight tire mismatch, TRACS system, "differential" as was mentioned, or something else causing the bucking (at low speeds) but it seems greatly reduced. Will look for another matched pair of near identical tread when I get paid. All tires are P195/65R15. Did not attempt a +0 size of P205/60R15 at this juncture. Wondering if I should have.

      Full tune up is still happening, just have to get paid to buy the parts. Volvo plugs.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #74
      Junior Member CYB3RBYTE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      319
      Volvo plugs are expensive, but so, so, so very important. Don't want terrible gas mileage and your plugs to accidentally MATE to the cylinder head!
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 151,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 97,6xx /

    7. #75
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Volvo plugs are expensive, but so, so, so very important. Don't want terrible gas mileage and your plugs to accidentally MATE to the cylinder head!
      I've come to a place with the true love of Volvos that dropping the $62 or so on 5 plugs.... is worth it. I really am the only one maintaining and even attempting to care for this present car.

      She says the car has been "bucking" ever since that one tire was changed. Even after after back axle is matched. I'm really not sure what to do next.

      If I didn't go a flip, I wouldn't have bought her this Volvo in the first place.

      I'm thinking "Change the ATF fluid..." Tune up too but that trans likes to "kick..."

    8. #76
      Junior Member CYB3RBYTE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      319
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      I'm thinking "Change the ATF fluid..." Tune up too but that trans likes to "kick..."
      Many older transmissions develop that "kick over time". Even my 850 has it and I just literally changed the trans fluid 200 miles ago. You have to go slow starting out to let the tranny warm up in these cars otherwise they will "buck".

      My roommate's Saturn is like a bull when he puts it into reverse gear. You kind of have to brace yourself and... CLUNK, away you go!
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / Video System / 151,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / SC-816 / 97,6xx /

    9. #77
      Member Big Will's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      3,168
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Many older transmissions develop that "kick over time". Even my 850 has it and I just literally changed the trans fluid 200 miles ago. You have to go slow starting out to let the tranny warm up in these cars otherwise they will "buck".

      My roommate's Saturn is like a bull when he puts it into reverse gear. You kind of have to brace yourself and... CLUNK, away you go!
      Depending on what this "bucking" transmission actually feels like, sometimes the culprit is a separated front engine mount. The rubber cracks and lifts off the aluminum. On automatics this becomes very noticeable when putting the car in reverse as the engine literally moves. You can usually see this pretty obviously when you fold the fender liner back to reveal the mount. Otherwise, have a friend watch for engine movement as you toggle between park and reverse with your foot very firmly down on the brake.

      Also, since this repair is free, try rowing the shifter between P and L about 20 times quickly. That was an old trick for cleaning up the PNP switch.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

    10. #78
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      I'm thinking "Change the ATF fluid..." Tune up too but that trans likes to "kick..."
      Many older transmissions develop that "kick over time". Even my 850 has it and I just literally changed the trans fluid 200 miles ago. You have to go slow starting out to let the tranny warm up in these cars otherwise they will "buck".

      My roommate's Saturn is like a bull when he puts it into reverse gear. You kind of have to brace yourself and... CLUNK, away you go!
      Yeah... I keep trying, trying to tell her, that, since I did one drain and fill... that I now need to do more. She even agreed that it felt better after that first one. No special fluid, just cheapest Dex3 ATF... And, right away, there was no slow engagement into reverse. The "kick" didn't go away, but really became noticeable after the ONE tire change, which is now TWO changed.. I will very likely write those two off, and just get 4 mounted at once. I will look at outside tread. MAY EVEN GO P205/60R15.....

      It's definitely cleaning something. The dipstick looks like I stuck it in the soil of a houseplant. That's the best way I can describe it. Might even see how Royal Purple ATF makes it feel.

      Those two things... are a likely next move. Then tune up...

      How would the +0 sizing go?

    11. #79
      Member Big Will's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      3,168
      Don't waste your money on fancy ATF on a transmission that is probably in need of being replaced. If you're going to keep doing the drain and fill method, at least wait until the fluid drains cleanly before you invest in an expensive ATF (again not worth it).

      How long have those tires been mismatched? If you or your gf have driven more than a few miles (literally a few miles) with 2 or 3 tires significantly different in tread to the new 1 or 2 then you've likely damaged the AWD components if by some miracle they weren't already damaged.

      Also, there's no need for expensive Volvo spark plugs on this car. You're wasting your money when you probably need to save it for more pressing repairs. Volvo plugs are great especially if you don't want to bother changing them for a long time, but these also work great and can be purchased for $2.49 a plug from an auto store like Advance:
      NGK BKR7E
      Just make sure to gap them (or ask someone who knows what they're doing to gap them) correctly and evenly.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

    12. #80
      I don't know about "significantly" mis-matched... but its possible.. she said all 4 tires did NOT spin in the snow, so.. maybe AWD is dead... is the trans needs all the help it can get.... It is a e challenge to tell her why I need to continue drain and fill.

    13. #81
      So.. where I am at presently is still planning fluid change and full tune up for this car.

    14. #82
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      So.. where I am at presently is still planning fluid change and full tune up for this car.
      Thanks for the non-update

    15. #83
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      So.. where I am at presently is still planning fluid change and full tune up for this car.
      Thanks for the non-update
      You're welcome. Man, I work two jobs and travel from New England every week, sometines twice in a week, and I STILL dont have money for 4 matched used tires to help it. Gotta take my chances.

      Now. I know you're not going to, but... if you set up direct payment arrangement with Azevedo Motorsport (that "Benz" place jerkhole implied would not have Torx nor metric sockets...) this all could be fixed in like two hours.

      At least you're not the antagonist like SonicBlueR. I drive through CT every single Friday and Sunday. Major highways. I'd love to share coffee, talk car. I'm a regular guy and normal human.

      But hey. I'm broke.

      Please ... lighten up.

    16. #84
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      3,978
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      . I'm a regular guy and normal human.
      All things are relative.

      Very doubtful.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    17. #85
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,131
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      All things are relative.

      Very doubtful.
      Agreed
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    18. #86
      Junior Member r0x4nn3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      484
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      This whole dang thread is halfway a joke and halfway serious, it's really confusing the hell out of me just like my damn exams, and I took calc II this semester. Kill me.
      Volvo Sh1tposting: The Miniseries.

    19. #87
      ^ Tell me exactly exactly you mean.

      And, please... be an inclusive an upscale community, not a board of jerks like so many others can be and have been. You're better than a Honda. I don't even want another Honda. Volvos don't get stolen.

      Don't be cryptic.

      now. When I get the 4 tires, should I go P205/60R15?

    20. #88
      Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      All things are relative.

      Very doubtful.
      Agreed
      Please don't encourage that guy. He feels a big man behind a computer. Don't feed it. This thread is ABOUT THE VOLVO. DAMN.

    21. #89
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      The thread is about you when you start posting about what you're not doing because of your personal life.

    22. #90
      Member Big Will's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      3,168
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post

      now. When I get the 4 tires, should I go P205/60R15?
      I too think this thread is ridiculous with you telling us every time the car gets it's blinker fluid topped up and based on your history with these cars, this one will be ruined beyond repair shortly.

      That said, you mentioned that the car has 195/65/15 tires on it at the moment. Do you have some aftermarket rims on the car? The stock tires size on a 98 XC is 205/65/15. The tires you are using are about 2% different in circumference and moving to the size you're considering would be just over 3% off. So your speedometer will be a bit inaccurate if you care about that sort of thing. If you are using the stock Volvo rims, maybe try to buy the size that originally came with the car.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

    23. #91
      Junior Member r0x4nn3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      484
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      ^ Tell me exactly exactly you mean.

      And, please... be an inclusive an upscale community, not a board of jerks like so many others can be and have been. You're better than a Honda. I don't even want another Honda. Volvos don't get stolen.

      Don't be cryptic.

      now. When I get the 4 tires, should I go P205/60R15?
      All in good fun man, sorry. Not trying to be malicious, I know your pain. I depend heavily on this forum for my own dilemmas and advice, hell, these people have gotten me out of some really tight spots.
      What I just see here is a lot of people giving you legitimate instruction and judgment of the situation... Whether or not you have a bad rep here for whatever reason isn't really my biz, but for what it's worth, I'd still take heed to the suggestions being provided and maybe offer some more information regarding your problem so we can all properly diagnose/advise.

    24. #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post

      now. When I get the 4 tires, should I go P205/60R15?
      I too think this thread is ridiculous with you telling us every time the car gets it's blinker fluid topped up and based on your history with these cars, this one will be ruined beyond repair shortly.

      That said, you mentioned that the car has 195/65/15 tires on it at the moment. Do you have some aftermarket rims on the car? The stock tires size on a 98 XC is 205/65/15. The tires you are using are about 2% different in circumference and moving to the size you're considering would be just over 3% off. So your speedometer will be a bit inaccurate if you care about that sort of thing. If you are using the stock Volvo rims, maybe try to buy the size that originally came with the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by r0x4nn3 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
      ^ Tell me exactly exactly you mean.

      And, please... be an inclusive an upscale community, not a board of jerks like so many others can be and have been. You're better than a Honda. I don't even want another Honda. Volvos don't get stolen.

      Don't be cryptic.

      now. When I get the 4 tires, should I go P205/60R15?
      All in good fun man, sorry. Not trying to be malicious, I know your pain. I depend heavily on this forum for my own dilemmas and advice, hell, these people have gotten me out of some really tight spots.
      What I just see here is a lot of people giving you legitimate instruction and judgment of the situation... Whether or not you have a bad rep here for whatever reason isn't really my biz, but for what it's worth, I'd still take heed to the suggestions being provided and maybe offer some more information regarding your problem so we can all properly diagnose/advise.
      Thanks, I appreciate that.

      I think 4 205/60R15 tires at same time, ATF drain and fill for the 2nd time on this one, and rain dance and prayer that AWD is still ok are the next moves. Did not even know tires were wrong, though they did look a touch small.

      I also am wondering where I can buy a new oil bolt, 17mm and correct thread. I have to buy the items before thy get put on.

    25. #93
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      why not get the correct size tires if you are getting tires anyway
      fcp has drain plugs.....

    26. #94
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      why not get the correct size tires if you are getting tires anyway
      fcp has drain plugs.....
      Well. Now that I do know the correct size. I will do that.

      I will buy the right 4 tires
      Plug (oil pan)
      Plugs (may as well just get the Volvo ones)
      Dizzy
      Wires
      Gas cap
      Dipstick tube...

      Dom's shop has smoke machine, and he suggested it, as JRL did...

    27. #95
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,131
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    28. #96
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      Perfect, make some for me too please

    29. #97
      Member Hounddogger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Northern CT
      Posts
      4,358
      No freaking way... it totally is that moron who likes to trash V70XCs. Well it didn't take the dipstick very long this time. All it takes is a few miles with the wrong tires. Mods. Seriously delete this thread, ban the account and when he shows up again with another XC to murder rinse and repeat.

      What a wanker.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

    30. #98
      Member wagonfan00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      1,561
      This thread has opened my eyes to the true world of ****posting...I'm joining the peanut gallery with the popcorn


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k
      IG: psychocross_v70

    31. #99
      Member Hounddogger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Northern CT
      Posts
      4,358
      Quote Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
      This thread has opened my eyes to the true world of ****posting...I'm joining the peanut gallery with the popcorn

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Kek
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

    32. #100
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      3,978
      Just so everyone knows...I called this shiiitt on post 22 lol! As soon as I saw the NJ plate and how it was a beat XC and the dude talking in riddles. This is insane. XC number 4 now? I lost count. It'll be dead soon though.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    33. #101
      Member Hounddogger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Northern CT
      Posts
      4,358
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Just so everyone knows...I called this shiiitt on post 22 lol! As soon as I saw the NJ plate and how it was a beat XC and the dude talking in riddles. This is insane. XC number 4 now? I lost count. It'll be dead soon though.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You totally called it.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

    34. #102
      Junior Member LRC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      12
      Can somebody fill me in? What is this guy's end game?
      1998 V70R AWD

    35. #103
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      3,978
      To annoy people.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    36. #104
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,131
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Just so everyone knows...I called this shiiitt on post 22 lol! As soon as I saw the NJ plate and how it was a beat XC and the dude talking in riddles. This is insane. XC number 4 now? I lost count. It'll be dead soon though.
      Number 3.
      He's ruined two perfectly decent XCs and the second one was not bad at all.
      Sure they both needed some work, but work done the RIGHT WAY would have given them another 4-8 more years of usage.
      The man has some retention issues, he's been told by several people what to do about certain things, yet he chooses not to listen to anyone then proceeds to ruin these wagons. This one is not so good to start with no no big loss in this case!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    37. #105
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      5,631
      I'm pretty sure it's the 4th one. This is discussion of the last one about a year ago on another forum:

      Quote Originally Posted by jhellwig
      Quote Originally Posted by HazardousGorilla
      Quote Originally Posted by exranger06
      I'm confused. Is this the other Volvo you used to have that had a bad water pump, or is this a 3rd Volvo you recently bought? Do you still have the Blazer?
      Blazer gave its life to be this Volvo, I was beginning to come to the conclusion of a compression issue when it sucked the electrode out of that 1994 ACDelco RapidFire plug that I think was Cylinder 5. Some guy in PA bought it. There is also a Nissan Maxima y'all don't know about.

      This is the 3rd one; you described the 2nd.

      And Then There Were Three.
      Speaking in riddles is fine if the riddle makes sense. This thread not so much.
      Last edited by JaredR; 05-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast