DiCE/VIDA Setup
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: DiCE/VIDA Setup

DiCE/VIDA Setup

Not having any luck in the tech section of the forum, so I figured I'd ask this question here. Any Pittsburgh folks with experience setting up DiCE/VIDA software and getting the unit to work?

I'm hitting some huge frustrations trying to get this thing working.

Have been a Mac guy for the past 5-6 years, so I'm really fighting with how to get this set up correctly. I bought a dedicated Windows laptop just for this purpose, but haven't been able to get it work.

Anybody in the 'Burgh with experience willing to help out a fellow Volvo owner? Send me a PM if you're willing and able.

Thanks
      Life is too short to drive an ugly car...
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White / Tan Interior [Hers]
      2012 S60 T6 AWD Ember Black Metallic...aka "Svärt Kaffe" (Black Coffee) [His]
      Roll on...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sent you a message

I am not close but got a setup working a few months back with a Parallels install of Win7 on a Macbook Air.

Where exactly is the process falling over? I had issues just getting the install to run but figured out what was wrong eventually.
      2015 V60 T6 RD - Superior, CO

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just picked up an RD S60 and was looking into getting that software. I live in Pittsburgh and would love to know what you come up with!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152346137124

I bought this setup, quick and easy install, no issues.
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/152346137124

I bought this setup, quick and easy install, no issues.
      How do you interface the laptop to the OBDII? Do you just use a simple USB -> OBD2 cable?

I assume this allows you to do things like pull oil level in mm on a 2015.5 S60 T5 FWD?

------------------------------------------------
      2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Crystal White Pearl, Beechwood/Off-Black Sport Leather, Urbane Wood Inlays

I was getting a bit excited that finally there's a setup which certifiably works, is not from China and costs reasonably ..... I emailed the seller. It still requires DICE box, which he claims they exist everywhere for 80$ ... the issue is the reliability of such setup is none, considering the ton of problems people experience.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD (3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by grein002 View Post
      How do you interface the laptop to the OBDII? Do you just use a simple USB -> OBD2 cable?

I assume this allows you to do things like pull oil level in mm on a 2015.5 S60 T5 FWD?

Still need the Dice setup
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by vpblur View Post
      I am not close but got a setup working a few months back with a Parallels install of Win7 on a Macbook Air.

Where exactly is the process falling over? I had issues just getting the install to run but figured out what was wrong eventually.
      The bad part is, I'm not even sure how to answer that question. According to the seller, I should have 2 files (a launch and a VIDA). I've got no experience with virtual machines, so I'm not even sure what step to take next. It doesn't appear that I have the software loaded correctly, so I'm reaching back out to the seller for additional guidance.

If nothing else, I've learned that I'm much better with a wrench then I am with a Windows laptop...

Does this process make anyone else feel inept? I feel you have to be an IT guy to get this thing working...
      Roll on...

If it helps I could copy the CD of the software I have and send it to you on a USB thumb drive. PM me if you think that would help.
      2015 V60 T6 RD - Superior, CO

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
      I was getting a bit excited that finally there's a setup which certifiably works, is not from China and costs reasonably ..... I emailed the seller. It still requires DICE box, which he claims they exist everywhere for 80$ ... the issue is the reliability of such setup is none, considering the ton of problems people experience.
      I bought a unit from China (can't remember the seller's name - but can find it if you're interested). They were really good. They worked for several evenings to get the software installed using an app that let them control remotely. It was a little eerie to watch them controlling, but also kind of cool. They weren't able to get the software working, so I was able to return for a refund.

This whole thing has me thinking about the laptop. I bought a used laptop from a seller on Amazon - running Windows 7. I had been assuming that the PC was fine (used, but reconditioned). Now, I'm starting to wonder about the laptop.

Maybe if I offer up a case of beer to get it working? Any takers????
      Roll on...

Odds are I guess slightly better than buying a lottery ticket ...
      2015 V60 T6 AWD (3.0)

Odds are I guess slightly better than buying a lottery ticket ...
      My usual starting point is the diagnostic utility that they put on the start menu once you get VIDA/DICE installed. It basically lets you sanity check DiCE and the USB drivers. It doesn't tell you much about the car other than the battery voltage, but that utility basically needs to run without error before you have a hope of getting anything else to work.
      2015 V60 (FWD).
      Former: ~1995 850 sedan (5-speed manual ).
      Former: ~1985 740GLE (ZF transmission )

Quote Originally Posted by ejones565 View Post
      Not having any luck in the tech section of the forum, so I figured I'd ask this question here. Any Pittsburgh folks with experience setting up DiCE/VIDA software and getting the unit to work? U

I'm hitting some huge frustrations trying to get this thing working.

Have been a Mac guy for the past 5-6 years, so I'm really fighting with how to get this set up correctly. I bought a dedicated Windows laptop just for this purpose, but haven't been able to get it work.

Anybody in the 'Burgh with experience willing to help out a fellow Volvo owner? Send me a PM if you're willing and able.

Thanks
      I bought a used pc from eBay with Vida already installed cost about 450 but I'm very happy with it. The guy is still selling them as far as I know. Got mine a few months ago. Worked perfect out of the box. I can diagnose my 2015 v60 and 2005 xc90 with no problems. Bought the dice box for about 80 from eBay as well.

You have a link to the seller you bought the Dice box from?
      2015 V60 T6 AWD (3.0)

Will have to look at my eBay account and get the sellers name for you.

The guys eBay name is "svcycling2014". Haven't had any issues with mine. There is a guy selling a tested laptop with vida already installed. Item #252931783312

I was able to load it on an old laptop and got it working after several tries - virtual machine is pretty slow. I got the set-up from Darius (see tech section) for $200 IIRC and it comes with a really nice DICE unit (multi-color lights, rubber end caps). When using the unit I need to try multiple times as it often does not connect the first time. The capabilities of VIDA is pretty amazing but it is a little tricky getting it running.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements